Bachmann 64xx Panniers

Mikkel

I wonder who'll be trying to fit the 5'2" wheels from the Collett Goods to this one, to try and turn it into a 54xx?

Is the wheel spacing accurate on the Collett Goods for use in a 54xx? Would be interesting to test fit, I seem to remember the motor in the Collett is a can motor standing up in the firebox...

Edited by Adrock

Is the wheel spacing accurate on the Collett Goods for use in a 54xx? Would be interesting to test fit, I seem to remember the motor in the Collett is a can motor standing up in the firebox...

What doesn't work is, the often mentioned issue, that the Bachmann Collett goods has incorrect undersized wheels. The Bachmann Collett has the smaller size 4ft 7" wheels from the Pannier fitted rather than 5ft 2" it should have. Basically the Bachmann Collett wheels are the same size as the 64xx. If you are sceptical of this, I have just checked my ROD tendered Collett from a recent batch and they are still way too small. They come out about 18mm rather than the 21mm they should be.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived yesterday, but appears to have a problem; bunker first there is an intermittent - but not regular - click and a slight hesitation. Chimney first is worse - every now and than it won't start away smoothly but sits motionless, shooting off at warp speed when given a bit more power. I'll persevere with running in for a while before I make a decision, hopefully things might settle down.

Mine arrived yesterday, but appears to have a problem; bunker first there is an intermittent - but not regular - click and a slight hesitation. Chimney first is worse - every now and than it won't start away smoothly but sits motionless, shooting off at warp speed when given a bit more power. I'll persevere with running in for a while before I make a decision, hopefully things might settle down.

I would send it back and exchange it: mine ran superbly straight out of the box (slow speed included) and this was with an old Bachmann train set controller that I use for testing!

• RMweb Gold

Picked mine (a 6412) up on Thursday. It's now had a couple of hours on the rolling road [using old Gaugemaster controller) and is silky smooth - almost as good as the 1F (and that's saying something).

Yours definitely doesn't sound right and I'd be inclined not to wait too long before getting it replaced (i.e. while there is still a replacement to be had). 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Take it back, mate. You can usually tell with this kind of thing whether it will smooth itself out with a bit of running in , or not (and unfortunately it's usually a case of 'not' in my personal experience, if you don't get a good one from the start).

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the sound advice everyone!

In my experience however, the problem with returning something is that it always works perfectly when demonstrated to the seller (S*d's Law).

I'll give it until early next week, test it a few more times and make a decision then.

• RMweb Premium

I'd take it back Colin. Mine runs perfectly smoothly from a crawl. So the behaviour yours is exhibiting is not typical. Just watch they are not sold out before you get to return it. Good luck!

• RMweb Premium

Further to previous posts, the loco now runs beautifully - smooth and quiet, all traces of former gremlins now vanished.

Guess I'll be keeping it now - there's no way I could convince the most reasonable of model shop owners (and I bought it from one of the best) that it's not fit for purpose.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi gents,

This has probably been written on here, but I can't find it!

Which locomotives in the 64xx range can the Bachmann model be turned into?

Ideally I'd like to model the locomotives below.

6414 - BR Black with early crest. (Which I know is fine)

6421 - BR lined green with early crest

6430 - BR lined green with late crest.

Regards,

Nick.

What doesn't work is, the often mentioned issue, that the Bachmann Collett goods has incorrect undersized wheels. The Bachmann Collett has the smaller size 4ft 7" wheels from the Pannier fitted rather than 5ft 2" it should have. Basically the Bachmann Collett wheels are the same size as the 64xx. If you are sceptical of this, I have just checked my ROD tendered Collett from a recent batch and they are still way too small. They come out about 18mm rather than the 21mm they should be.

Mike Wiltshire

Funny you should say that. I bought a 2251 with the ROD tender specifically for repowering a Lima 94xx, then realised the Collett (should have) had 5'2" wheels. 

Perhaps it was karma !!! 

• RMweb Gold

Hi gents,

Regards,

Nick.

Surgery is required for 6430 - look at the pic posted upthread - as it has the later pattern cab/bunker arrangement.

• RMweb Gold

even though i model modern image they are superb locos can i think of a way to get one on my layout?

Apply rule 1: It's my layout and I'll run what I like.

Alternatively, run a preserved steam special.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi gents,

Regards,

Nick.

6414 - presumably you've checked that it was still in black in your timescale (not all received lined green, anyway)

6421 - no problem with the current Bachmann model, just change the crest and number plates

6430 - this was the first of the 'square bunker corner' batch, also with no lip on the cab roof overhang, so you'd either need to choose another number or do a bit of modification work

Just found a nice photo of 5409 in lined black livery in 1950.

http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p200288452/h2a1defb3#h2a1defb3

Does anyone know of any members of the 6400 class that received lined black livery? I know most of the were unlined but I have always found it to be a rather boring livery.

And I see that even in 1950 it didn't have topfeed.  I hope Bachmann follow up with a 54xx in pre-war condition.

• RMweb Premium

Just found a nice photo of 5409 in lined black livery in 1950.

http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p200288452/h2a1defb3#h2a1defb3

Does anyone know of any members of the 6400 class that received lined black livery? I know most of the were unlined but I have always found it to be a rather boring livery.

good find. No crest/emblem either; wonder if it ever got one in that livery.

good find. No crest/emblem either; wonder if it ever got one in that livery.

I haven't been able to find any other pictures. There is a back volume of GWRJ with a shot of it at Windsor a couple of years later that might be worth trying to track down.