Bachmann 64xx Panniers

Mikkel

• RMweb Gold

Well I had intended to stick with the kit I have in the pile to build, but having been unable to resist buying the Bachmann body in GWR that was on eBay last week, plans have now changed somewhat...

Once Chris gets the kit out it will go on a high level chassis, and 5ft 2 wheels as a 54xx. Just need to check the top feed on my chosen loco now....

Shame about the moulded on rear lamp irons, but that aside its a real cracker!

It was inevitable that I used to see every minute detail when i was painting & lining, but I dont look that closely at my RTR locos. Maybe this is why I am completely at home with RTR, although I must say I prefer to look at accurately moulded on lamp brackets than bits of bent round-wire that are supposed to be "super-detailing" ha ha....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I  must say I prefer to look at accurately moulded on lamp brackets than bits of bent round-wire that are supposed to be "super-detailing" ha ha....

Completely agree, Larry. It can only every be right to take a scalpel or a saw to a RTR loco body if you are going to replace the moulded/RTR detail properly, otherwise it's best left well alone in my books. Seen too many bodged jobs, where the owner claims 'it's the correct grille', but it's on wonky, with gaps or blobs of glue, whereas leaving the slightly inaccurate moulded one would have resulted in a much better-looking loco.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I don't know whether this has been mentioned on the thread already but have not been following the thread for a while. 

In the extra bits for the model are some spare lamp irons. Are they for use above the smokebox door as on the model it is missing? (but no hole for adding an extra lamp irons)

post-24746-0-38081900-1435593125_thumb.jpg

post-24746-0-06963400-1435593237_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steam in the North West
  • Like 1

Well I had intended to stick with the kit I have in the pile to build, but having been unable to resist buying the Bachmann body in GWR that was on eBay last week, plans have now changed somewhat...

Once Chris gets the kit out it will go on a high level chassis.....

You as well.

I'm keeping the kit, though. One will be 6412, the other will be 6430 or 6435....

• 3 weeks later...

Evening everyone

I just wondered if anyone else has had any running problems with their 64xx? I bought a BR Green version and having only just test run it, I have found that there appears to be a"tight spot" in the chassis. When running in reverse it stutters/stops(depending on speed), so the slow running qualities are not what I would expect in a modern chassis. The stutter always happens when the wheels are in the same position on the revolution.  Having just a small MPD layout on which to use this loco, it does need to run slowly and smoothly. I acknowledge that it has to be run in, but I don't believe this is the kind of problem that will disappear easily. I also realise that I could take it apart and start fettling, but that would invalidate the guarantee, and besides I don't see why I should have to do this. Let's face it, it's just a simple six-coupled chassis, we're not talking Beyer Garratts here! When I then tested it in a cradle, there was a distinct 'clonk' at the same place on every revolution.

I have emailed the shop where purchased to see what their reaction/customer service is like, but in the meanwhile, has anyone else had a similar problem?

Many thanks in advance

exmoordave

Evening everyone

I just wondered if anyone else has had any running problems with their 64xx? I bought a BR Green version and having only just test run it, I have found that there appears to be a"tight spot" in the chassis. When running in reverse it stutters/stops(depending on speed), so the slow running qualities are not what I would expect in a modern chassis. The stutter always happens when the wheels are in the same position on the revolution.  Having just a small MPD layout on which to use this loco, it does need to run slowly and smoothly. I acknowledge that it has to be run in, but I don't believe this is the kind of problem that will disappear easily. I also realise that I could take it apart and start fettling, but that would invalidate the guarantee, and besides I don't see why I should have to do this. Let's face it, it's just a simple six-coupled chassis, we're not talking Beyer Garratts here! When I then tested it in a cradle, there was a distinct 'clonk' at the same place on every revolution.

I have emailed the shop where purchased to see what their reaction/customer service is like, but in the meanwhile, has anyone else had a similar problem?

Many thanks in advance

exmoordave

Mine had a tight spot. I took the keeper plate off and gave it a rather cursory clean to get rid of some of the copious quantity of grease inside, intending to do a proper job later. I didn't need to do any more - it runs fine now.

Mine had a tight spot. I took the keeper plate off and gave it a rather cursory clean to get rid of some of the copious quantity of grease inside, intending to do a proper job later. I didn't need to do any more - it runs fine now.

On the other side oft he coin, if you do pick up a rogue one and don't send/take it back, you might never get it right and it will always 'offend the eye' as it were. I have an Ivatt tank which I was convinced I could fix (a very similar problem to your 64xx) but it has never been right and now languishes in the 'to be repaired' drawer.

I picked up my 64 from a well known model shop in Alton, where they test it for slow running etc - definitely the way to go if you have access to such an establishment...

On the other side oft he coin, if you do pick up a rogue one and don't send/take it back, you might never get it right and it will always 'offend the eye' as it were. I have an Ivatt tank which I was convinced I could fix (a very similar problem to your 64xx) but it has never been right and now languishes in the 'to be repaired' drawer.

I picked up my 64 from a well known model shop in Alton, where they test it for slow running etc - definitely the way to go if you have access to such an establishment...

Good point. Most of mine come by post. They have to be more or less dead before I think it's worth the trouble of sending them back. I'm a manufacturer's dream, I suppose.

Many thanks guys - I have emailed the shop in question, but so far no response. Sorry if I'm being a little impatient. I agree totally about testing locos before purchase,which I normally at shows for example, but I felt that unless I pre-ordered this one, then I would miss out totally. Still we shall see what happens.

Thanks again.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

It is unfortunate that Bachmann released a 64xx in GWR livery, yet there is no corresponding RTR autocoach for that time period.

Sigh...

Well with Hornby producing the new Collett stock I imagine it will only be a question of time before a new Collett A28 or A30 appears. A lot of details are similar and would sell well. Be lovely to have A26 mind, but I doubt that will happen for a few years!

Regards,

Nick.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This is my excuse for one...

post-7376-0-19754000-1438190529_thumb.jpg

Mike Roach photo.

6400 on a goods working from Launceston to Tavy Junction photographed just outside of Coryton in September 1962.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Edited by Brinkly
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I have mentioned in my layout thread the 64XX is my worst runner. Bought a circle of Hornby track today so things can be run-in, but having read some of the above posts, I think I will take it apart and look for the tight spot.

Are the pick-ups touching the backs of the wheels Coach? Sounds really simple, but you never know. (Granted you have probably already done this!)

Kind regards,

Nick.

Are the pick-ups touching the backs of the wheels Coach? Sounds really simple, but you never know. (Granted you have probably already done this!)

Kind regards,

Nick.

Hi Nick, I smiled on reading this. It was the first thing a hardened railway modeller would check ha ha.. The chassis has a tight spot per revolution and needs a thorough checking when I get time. Not insurmountable. 

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick, I smiled on reading this. It was the first thing a hardened railway modeller would check ha ha.. The chassis has a tight spot per revolution and needs a thorough checking when I get time. Not insurmountable. 

Hi Coach,

That is why I put my bracketed comment in! All bases covered then! :P ;) Bit of a pain though, one doesn't expect that on a new toy. 

Regards,

Nick

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A couple of 64xx tanks came to Wellington (Salop) in September 1961 to work on the Wellington - Much Wenlock services. Their stay was short, with 6429 being withdrawn in March 1962 and 6421 being transfered away in November 1962. 6421 was in lined green but with the early BR emblem on the tank sides indicating it must have received its green livery around 1957. (incedently one of the BR standard Class 3 locos allocated to Wellington in lined green also had the earlier crest). 

Ayttached is a Geof Sharpe photo showing 6421 at Wellington. The safety valve cover was polished brass.

post-20690-0-22432200-1442300301_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

A couple of 64xx tanks came to Wellington (Salop) in September 1961 to work on the Wellington - Much Wenlock services. Their stay was short, with 6429 being withdrawn in March 1962 and 6421 being transfered away in November 1962. 6421 was in lined green but with the early BR emblem on the tank sides indicating it must have received its green livery around 1957. (incedently one of the BR standard Class 3 locos allocated to Wellington in lined green also had the earlier crest). 

Ayttached is a Geof Sharpe photo showing 6421 at Wellington. The safety valve cover was polished brass.

attachicon.gif6421 Wellington Shed G Sharpe..jpg

Sorry, can't help mentioning the LMS coach...........nice.

P