RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Chris have you been reading Michael Caine's book "Not Alot of People Know That" again.

BTW are your garage doors laying up at the other end of the drive way.  :jester:

Imagine the guffaws when Lord Hereford's Knob steamed into Bristols stations.

Philth

• RMweb Gold

There was almost a Bulleid Light Pacific called "Brown Willy" iirc. This is actually the highest point on Bodmin Moor - 1378'. Imagine the sniggering these days...

Been there, walked up that about 30-something years ago. 

• RMweb Premium

There was almost a Bulleid Light Pacific called "Brown Willy" iirc. This is actually the highest point on Bodmin Moor - 1378'. Imagine the sniggering these days...

Oh wow! Given that all the place name on my layout are fictionalised/camouflaged, perhaps I could do the same to my locos so that the Pentowan portion of the ACE would be hauled by Brown Willy rather than Bodmin.

• Like 1

I have recently purchased a Bachmann No.4965 Rood Ashton Hall split from the Shakespeare Express train pack, mainly because I like the fully lined GWR livery and the pairing with the 3500 gallon tender. I guess this is correct for this loco in preservation?

I believe the early Halls were paired with 3500 gallon tenders? Can any of you GWR Hall experts provide me with a few name/number combinations. I have the plates for 4953 Pitchford Hall, would this be a possible candidate?

Glenn - Hall's well that ends well!

4953 Pitchford Hall had a similar tender in 1934 (Churchward flush-riveted 3500 gallon).

Other possibilities for that year are, 4904, 4906, 4908, 4909, 4912, 4915, 4917, 4919, 4921, 4922, 4926, 4935, 4936, 4939, 4940, 4941, 4943, 4946, 4947, 4951, 4958, 4959, 4976, 5900.

4965 Rood Ashton Hall, however, had a Collett 4000 gallon and, I believe, only ran with that type prior to preservation.

Tender numbers for each locomotive are listed in the Wild Swan 'Great Western Railway Locomotive Allocations for 1934'. This notes that it reflects the tender allocations at the end of that year.

Of course 1934 was when the 'shirtbutton' GWR roundel was introduced. However, it's likely that most tenders still carried 'GREAT (crest) WESTERN' at the year's end and tenders were usually only changed or painted during works visits.

Edited by Nick Gough

• RMweb Gold

Bully for them. :onthequiet:

I wonder what my Cotswold Kit one will pull when it's finished. 

Plenty of weight there Bob - the Cotswold kit makes up into quite a hefty engine and with a decent motor it should manage quite easily pulling down the side of a house.

BTW let's not forget that in real life the 47XX and 'Hall' were in the same Power Class (D) so were allowed some similar loads, except for the 'Halls' with the additional (white) X power rating which were allowed heavier loads on certain freight trains.  For passenger working there were some interesting differences - effectively the 47XX was allowed one coach more than other Class D engines on level or slightly graded sections but oddly (in view of their smaller wheels) that advantage was reduced to around no more than 15-20 tons, and in some cases no difference at all, on the heavily graded sections. (One strange exception was climbing Hemerdon where a 47XX and a 68Xx were allowed the same load but a 'Hall' was allowed 13 tons less than them.)  

Plus of course the 47XX was restricted to 60mph when working passenger trains ad they were in any case very unpopular with Enginemen, especially Firemen, when used on long distance passenger trains on Summer Saturdays in later years.

4953 Pitchford Hall had a similar tender in 1934 (Churchward flush-riveted 3500 gallon).

Other possibilities for that year are, 4904, 4906, 4908, 4909, 4912, 4915, 4917, 4919, 4921, 4922, 4926, 4935, 4936, 4939, 4940, 4941, 4943, 4946, 4947, 4951, 4958, 4959, 4976, 5900.

4965 Rood Ashton Hall, however, had a Collett 4000 gallon and, I believe, only ran with that type prior to preservation.

Tender numbers for each locomotive are listed in the Wild Swan 'Great Western Railway Locomotive Allocations for 1934'. This notes that it reflects the tender allocations at the end of that year.

Of course 1934 was when the 'shirtbutton' GWR roundel was introduced. However, it's likely that most tenders still carried 'GREAT (crest) WESTERN' at the year's end and tenders were usually only changed or painted during works visits.

Thanks Nick, 4953 it is then.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of weight there Bob - the Cotswold kit makes up into quite a hefty engine and with a decent motor it should manage quite easily pulling down the side of a house.

BTW let's not forget that in real life the 47XX and 'Hall' were in the same Power Class (D) so were allowed some similar loads, except for the 'Halls' with the additional (white) X power rating which were allowed heavier loads on certain freight trains.  For passenger working there were some interesting differences - effectively the 47XX was allowed one coach more than other Class D engines on level or slightly graded sections but oddly (in view of their smaller wheels) that advantage was reduced to around no more than 15-20 tons, and in some cases no difference at all, on the heavily graded sections. (One strange exception was climbing Hemerdon where a 47XX and a 68Xx were allowed the same load but a 'Hall' was allowed 13 tons less than them.)  

Plus of course the 47XX was restricted to 60mph when working passenger trains ad they were in any case very unpopular with Enginemen, especially Firemen, when used on long distance passenger trains on Summer Saturdays in later years.

I haven't weighed it yet but it's HEAVY, I'm having problems fitting a motor into it I've several choices a Romford Bulldog, MRRC XO5 or an ex Airfix Prairie motor I was hoping to use an Anchorage D13

but it doesn't seem man enough for the job, I've put it to one side for the moment with the other white casts locomotive kits to be finished this winter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Love Castles. Fortunately I'll be able to run a couple on The Junction (diverted WR services) with one train hopefully having the actual loco that hauled it back in 1960 I think (maybe '61).

Some great pics there Rob. Thanks a lot.

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Love Castles. Fortunately I'll be able to run a couple on The Junction (diverted WR services) with one train hopefully having the actual loco that hauled it back in 1960 I think (maybe '61).

Some great pics there Rob. Thanks a lot.

Phil

Granges and Castles, you might need to change SJ for Tivvy Junction.

OK, I'm leaving.

May I ask a quick question to the ANTB parishioners please ?

Does anyone know of a transfer ( decal ugh! ) manufacturer that produces the word " LARGE " on a sheet as I would like to use them on GWR Cattle wagon ends. ( 4mm )

I've trawled 'tinterweb without success so far and maybe, just maybe someone might just know ?

Thank you

Grahame