Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

thats always the story thats been given - but if the ships Insurance is paying for it, then it gets re-built.... Unless BR took the money and did nothing with it?

It was not really an oil tanker as such that struck the bridge, but two oil-carrying barges, not quite in the same league as Torrey Canyon... This was late on in 1960, so before Beeching was appointed, let alone published his report.

The bridge had only recently had money spent on strengthening it and there was initially a plan to repair it and reopen the line.

At some stage, the decision was made not to repair the bridge and after some difficulty, a scrap contractor was found that was able to successfully demolish the bridge. It is said that there was a plan to sell some of the spans to a country in South America, but this came to nought and I believe they were all cut up on the shores of the River Severn.

The accident rendered Sharpness the terminus of a branch line from Berkeley Road. No attempt was made to revive any passenger service on the Welsh side to Severn Bridge station, which was left to rot (not too much habitation nearby, anyway).

That left the school service from Lydney to Berkeley Road to re-route via Gloucester (non-stop!)...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

The head shots of the 44x show it rather oscillating side to side - hopefully this will be reduced on the production run.

I wondered to myself how long it would be for one of us to pick up on that 🤭

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The B set coaches look exquisite though...  Rapido doing a good job of making me place a lot of pre-orders!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Maybe the valve gear is a little stiff and that is causing the body to rock? Perhaps running in would fix it.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

Maybe the valve gear is a little stiff and that is causing the body to rock? Perhaps running in would fix it.

I just had a chuckle to myself. This has echoes of the “waddling “ Hawksworth tank,does it not ? Early days yet I think 

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Hall class 5998 Trevor Hall heads west with an inter-regions parcel train.

DSCN8591.JPG..jpg.7cdf90d7d89a129b9cdb0c2b20f56fb8.jpg

Talking of Halls and did anyone else see that the owners of 4920 Dumbleton Hall had been sold to Warner's Bros to use in Harry Potter World Tokyo. The last time I saw her was in a right state at Buckfastleigh, so they've done well to get the million pounds reported.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Talking of Halls and did anyone else see that the owners of 4920 Dumbleton Hall had been sold to Warner's Bros to use in Harry Potter World Tokyo. The last time I saw her was in a right state at Buckfastleigh, so they've done well to get the million pounds reported.

Just looked at my Bachmann 4920 resplendent in her G # W post war green. I imagine the Tokyo bound loco will receive a makeover and renaming as “Dumbledore Hall” .

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

They love stuff like that in Japan.  I worked for a restoration company who had won the contract to build a fully working traditional windmill at either a visitor attraction or a public park in Japan.  I think they had previously made a water mill for a similar location. Bonkers, but all fully functional (I suspect there were some hefty motors about for still days).

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/02/2024 at 16:49, gwrrob said:

I hope all Plymouth residents that follow this thread like @Siberian Snooper stay safe and away from the Torpoint ferry terminal this evening.

Thanks for all the support from fellow RMWebbers. I was evacuated on Thursday morning and overnighted with a drinking buddy. On Friday morning I left for a gig in Brum, so I missed out on all of the Friday shenanigans, for which I am truly thankful. I didn't get to return home until after 7,30 last night due to a landslip between Newton and Totnes, resulting in single line working between the two.

Having chatted to the regulars down the pub, chaos ensued after it was announced that the bomb was going to be moved and the cordon extended along the route to the ferry.

I  don't know if it's still available on  Plymouth Online, but most of the women that I know had a good giggle, with regards the shape of the extended evacuation area.

Thanks again.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Yes, but.....

It's a lot of money and you can't blame them for getting a good price, but the (increasingly dominant) grumpy old man in me thinks it's a shame that the loco won't be seen in steam in this country again...

Will she be restored to working order or stuffed and mounted, does anyone know?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

or stuffed and mounted, does anyone know?

I would imagine she will be painted red like Olton Hall and then put on display in HP Tokyo, a bit of bullshittery will get the tills ringing.

Edited by gwrrob
spilling
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Yes, but.....

It's a lot of money and you can't blame them for getting a good price, but the (increasingly dominant) grumpy old man in me thinks it's a shame that the loco won't be seen in steam in this country again...

Somewhere between the two, I'm told.

On a powered rolling road with a smoke unit fitted.

At least it's a class of which other examples remain active in the UK

John

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Another big scoop for you all is that the new build Grange 6880 Betton Grange is to star at the SVR Spring Gala. The SVR are reporting strong ticket sales.

https://svr.co.uk/news/new-build-loco-6880-betton-grange-to-star-at-svr-spring-steam-gala/

The very best of all GW locos. And a particularly Cornish ( 83 G ) one too. Something to celebrate. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Yes, but.....

I thought that the recent SVR Spring announcement shows what a vibrant former steam culture remains available there. Be grateful for what good fortune you have, I reckon. It could have been far less.

Our trips on the WSR, SVR and Mallaig lines remain some of the best memories of the last decade when back in Old Blighty.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BWsTrains said:

I thought that the recent SVR Spring announcement shows what a vibrant former steam culture remains available there. Be grateful for what good fortune you have, I reckon. It could have been far less.

I know, I know...

But even so, I don't like it when this happens. I'd rather it was restored in the UK.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I know, I know...

But even so, I don't like it when this happens. I'd rather it was restored in the UK.

I don't like it either but 4920 hasn't run since 1999 and was at the end of a very long queue for restoration. Consequently, I think it's better that it's going to be seen and enjoyed by millions in Japan rather than sitting around for another Gawd knows how many years in the UK.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I don't like it either but 4920 hasn't run since 1999 and was at the end of a very long queue for restoration. Consequently, I think it's better that it's going to be seen and enjoyed by millions in Japan rather than sitting around for another Gawd knows how many years in the UK.

Not to mention there is still the possibility once it has finished its time in Japan the loco will be repatriated back to the UK in (cosmetically at least) a decent condition, whereas if it had stayed here it would likely have completely rusted away by then.   

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Not to mention there is still the possibility once it has finished its time in Japan the loco will be repatriated back to the UK in (cosmetically at least) a decent condition, whereas if it had stayed here it would likely have completely rusted away by then.   

Next Page? Or is that just my Puter?

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2