A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Just returned from a pleasant trip to Oakhampton Staion.

Free parking, a pleasant walk with stunning views, back to clean toilets, a nice Buffet with a limited menu but they coped very well despite staff shortages and inundated with cyclists. Much to recommend it.

Loads of Green Paint, but then I’m biased, a lovely day out.

Ash.

Preservation society buffets can be a delight, and this one is better than some, despite the lack of trains much of the time, and omnipresent cyclists' lycra. I always enjoyed the K&ESR buffet at Tenterden for the same reason, listening to other enthusiasts chatting etc. 

• Like 1

Preservation society buffets can be a delight, and this one is better than some, despite the lack of trains much of the time, and omnipresent cyclists' lycra. I always enjoyed the K&ESR buffet at Tenterden for the same reason, listening to other enthusiasts chatting etc.

It might be slightly warm Lycra, but at least it started out clean today. Unlike some of the “things” that turned up a Warley.

Pongypits

• RMweb Premium

Free parking, a pleasant walk with stunning views, back to clean toilets, a nice Buffet with a limited menu but they coped very well despite staff shortages and inundated with cyclists. Much to recommend it.

Ash.

Love the cafe at Okehampton station, always try and pop in when I'm in the area. Great cake.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ash.

Can 'ee spell OKEhampton correctly, please uz went to skool there, thank you. Bleedie Grockles.

• RMweb Premium

Just you wait 'enry 'iggins, just you wait (or rather just you wait Ducky just you wait ;) ).   

PS Guess who went to see a live show version of 'My Fair Lady' on Tuesday past.

My favourite musical.

Well then, not a sausage for the GWR modeller from either Barwell or Sandwich this year. However, the Maunsell Diner from Hornby gives me great hope for a future GWR diner!

Looking at it, what's left to do to 21st century standards in terms of locos? Hawksworth County, Manor, 15xx and 16xx panniers and...? I did think we'd have got some GWR non-corridors from someone this year, or perhaps a retooled siphon or GWR wagon - perhaps an open or a ballast wagon....

My immediate take from both announcements over the last 48 hours is that a) the Southern has pre-dominated and b) prices are reaching breathtaking - literally - territory. 

For me, this will be the year of coach kit investments (Geen, Comet, Worsley) and Kernow's 1361, and that will be about it, unless a Danish 47xx hoves into view... 

CoY

• RMweb Gold

Well then, not a sausage for the GWR modeller from either Barwell or Sandwich this year. However, the Maunsell Diner from Hornby gives me great hope for a future GWR diner!

Looking at it, what's left to do to 21st century standards in terms of locos? Hawksworth County, Manor, 15xx and 16xx panniers and...? I did think we'd have got some GWR non-corridors from someone this year, or perhaps a retooled siphon or GWR wagon - perhaps an open or a ballast wagon....

My immediate take from both announcements over the last 48 hours is that a) the Southern has pre-dominated and b) prices are reaching breathtaking - literally - territory. 

For me, this will be the year of coach kit investments (Geen, Comet, Worsley) and Kernow's 1361, and that will be about it, unless a Danish 47xx hoves into view... 

CoY

Other than adding the bulldog to that list, maybe the Abberdare and a modified hall which actually looks like a modified hall, there aren’t too many options left.

I will be in much the same boat with my only expected Rtr loco purchase this year looking like being the Heljan 4700,

But there are more than enough interesting kits to be getting on with. Not to mention given the way prices are going a Finney Bulldog, wheels, motor etc doesn’t look to much more than a theoretical Bachmann model would be in 2019/20/whenever.

I am a little more concerned about the trend towards adding gimmicks (opening fire boxes, working cranes etc) pushing the price up...