A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon gentlefolk.

It is my great pleasure and with the Full Approval of His Superbness, Robin of Brent himself, to announce:

THE NEXT ANTB MEET-UP!

You, Dear Reader, are most cordially invited to attend this event and commune with your fellow ANTB fans. Merriment, witty ripostes, good food and drink and, above all, steam traction will be the order of the day. Erudite Discourses on the subject of Art may also be offered, if there is sufficient demand.

When? - Saturday 20th October 2018

Where? - The Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway - https://www.gwsr.com/

What? - Join the party at Cheltenham Racecourse for the 1105 departure to Broadway, running over the recently completed extension from Laverton. This train returns as the 1230 from Broadway, which we will re-join and travel on, as far as Toddington.

At Toddington (arrive. 1246), we will partake of luncheon at the Cotswold Food & Drink Fayre - https://www.gwsr.com/Cotswolds_Food_and_Drink_Fayre__20_and_21_October_2018--post--50.html

Once we have (collectively or individually) had sufficient to eat and drink, further options are currently being investigated. We could linger and have a look around Toddington, which is the HQ of the line (more on this possibility in due course) and/or indulge in further steam haulage. The timetable for the day is here - https://www.gwsr.com/planning_your_visit/visiting_gwsr/2018_calendar_and_timetables.html#G

How? - you can get to Cheltenham Racecourse station by road, of course, where the GWSR have a car park. Alternatively, groups may wish to jointly take a taxi from Cheltenham Lansdown station (fares t.b.a. but probably not too painful if divided by four or five!).

Why? - Why not! (as Barry Norman would say).

How much? - GWSR ticket prices can be found here - https://www.gwsr.com/planning_your_visit/visiting_gwsr/ticket_prices_2018.html Iexpect they also do 'Priv' rates for grumpy retired ex-BR codgers like me.

Clearly everyone will need to make their own arrangements to get to/from the general Cheltenham Racecourse area. May I respectfully request that submitting any expenses claims to the ANTB management in that regard will probably be met with a combination of derision and a life sentence on the ANTB Naughty Step.

In an ideal scenario, I will be asking the GWSR to provide us with a party booking for the 1105 and 1230 trains, so that we at least don't have to shout at each other along the length of the carriage or indulge in questionable gesticulations hanging outside the vestibule windows.

So what would be very helpful at this stage, would be for anyone who wishes to join our party to make themselves known to me by PM, please.

Please do PM me if you have any questions in the meantime.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Its quiet here isn't it ? I said.....

BTW seen at Steam Museum yesterday ...Honest !

attachicon.gifDSCF8108.jpg

G

I've been busy working on multiple Locos (6 at the last count) so having rest from paint and glue today..

post-7000-0-33309600-1536509580_thumb.jpg

.. however that didn't stop me taking on a project with 1969 Pieces at 11.30 this morning...

post-7000-0-12362700-1536509697_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-68785100-1536509719_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-02388800-1536509765_thumb.jpg

Finished by 15.30 the afternoon..

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

It is my great pleasure and with the Full Approval of His Superbness, Robin of Brent himself, to announce:

THE NEXT ANTB MEET-UP!

There's a lot of followers of this thread who don't post who are more than welcome to join this meet up. It's fairly central to the country and not far from the M5 motorway, only a few miles from junction 9.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There's a lot of followers of this thread who don't post who are more than welcome to join this meet up. It's fairly central to the country and not far from the M5 motorway, only a few miles from junction 9.

Perhaps they would like to come and watch us have a good time but not actually join in the conversation?:) Edited by colin penfold

• RMweb Premium

THE NEXT ANTB MEET-UP!

You, Dear Reader, are most cordially invited to attend this event and commune with your fellow ANTB fans. Merriment, witty ripostes, good food and drink and, above all, steam traction will be the order of the day. Erudite Discourses on the subject of Art may also be offered, if there is sufficient demand.

When? - Saturday 20th October 2018

Where? - The Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway - https://www.gwsr.com/

What? - Join the party at Cheltenham Racecourse for the 1105 departure to Broadway, running over the recently completed extension from Laverton. This train returns as the 1230 from Broadway, which we will re-join and travel on, as far as Toddington.

At Toddington (arrive. 1246), we will partake of luncheon at the Cotswold Food & Drink Fayre - https://www.gwsr.com/Cotswolds_Food_and_Drink_Fayre__20_and_21_October_2018--post--50.html

Once we have (collectively or individually) had sufficient to eat and drink, further options are currently being investigated. We could linger and have a look around Toddington, which is the HQ of the line (more on this possibility in due course) and/or indulge in further steam haulage. The timetable for the day is here - https://www.gwsr.com/planning_your_visit/visiting_gwsr/2018_calendar_and_timetables.html#G

How? - you can get to Cheltenham Racecourse station by road, of course, where the GWSR have a car park. Alternatively, groups may wish to jointly take a taxi from Cheltenham Lansdown station (fares t.b.a. but probably not too painful if divided by four or five!).

Why? - Why not! (as Barry Norman would say).

How much? - GWSR ticket prices can be found here - https://www.gwsr.com/planning_your_visit/visiting_gwsr/ticket_prices_2018.html Iexpect they also do 'Priv' rates for grumpy retired ex-BR codgers like me.

Clearly everyone will need to make their own arrangements to get to/from the general Cheltenham Racecourse area. May I respectfully request that submitting any expenses claims to the ANTB management in that regard will probably be met with a combination of derision and a life sentence on the ANTB Naughty Step.

In an ideal scenario, I will be asking the GWSR to provide us with a party booking for the 1105 and 1230 trains, so that we at least don't have to shout at each other along the length of the carriage or indulge in questionable gesticulations hanging outside the vestibule windows.

So what would be very helpful at this stage, would be for anyone who wishes to join our party to make themselves known to me by PM, please.

Please do PM me if you have any questions in the meantime.

CK do you have the Gloucs/Wars Air Ambulance phone number please. I can put it on speed dial in case I have too much Cider.

Thank you.

A.Chopper

Me too!  $1200 fare (at least), lodgings $1000 or so, car rental $500, sustenance (buying rounds etc) another $500, train 35GBP.  A bit late to book so will have to upgrade, extra $1500.  Sorry gents, that would blow this months allowance! 

Would love to go for a ride, its been ages since we last rode from Toddington to Cheltenham and back.  One day though! :cry:

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

CK do you have the Gloucs/Wars Air Ambulance phone number please. I can put it on speed dial in case I have too much Cider.

Thank you.

A.Chopper

This is the Cotswolds......perlease.Cider ? Wah! They wash in claret and champagne,live in nice "hises", drive 4X4 and are all related to Clarkson or Cameron.On a ( more ) serious note,getting ratted on Gloucestershire scrumpy is not recommended.I speak from one never to be repeated experience of student youth .The area for that is around Stroud anyway..

Given the threatened ale consumption,I will let the train take the strain.The through hourly Nottingham-Cardiff XC takes care of that as it stops at Froth City. Now to work out the onward journey.Pony & trap ?

Seriously a great idea .Will make it if possible.

• Like 3

Me too!  $1200 fare (at least), lodgings $1000 or so, car rental $500, sustenance (buying rounds etc) another $500, train 35GBP.  A bit late to book so will have to upgrade, extra $1500.  Sorry gents, that would blow this months allowance! 

Would love to go for a ride, its been ages since we last rode from Toddington to Cheltenham and back.  One day though! :cry:

Brian.

Me too I'm afraid.

Lightweights !  :O  :jester:

Karrie Bean Hairwaves

• RMweb Premium

A great outing, and I would love to attend.

However I will be somewhere warm and dusty:  not the back of the airing cupboard before someone suggests it.

Have a great day and please try not to get arrested.

• RMweb Gold

This is the Cotswolds......perlease.Cider ? Wah! They wash in claret and champagne,live in nice "hises", drive 4X4 and are all related to Clarkson or Cameron.On a ( more ) serious note,getting ratted on Gloucestershire scrumpy is not recommended.I speak from one never to be repeated experience of student youth .The area for that is around Stroud anyway..

Given the threatened ale consumption,I will let the train take the strain.The through hourly Nottingham-Cardiff XC takes care of that as it stops at Froth City. Now to work out the onward journey.Pony & trap ?

Seriously a great idea .Will make it if possible.

On checking the GSWR website,I notice there is a Park & Ride service every 10 minutes from the station to the Racecourse which is a short walk to the GSWR station. So that should do the business hopefully.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The ANTB meet up on October 20th coincides with the release of my book accompanying this thread. Forget your Ian Allan's ,get yourself a copy of...

… 101 anomalies you will find on this thread but were scared to mention. :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Apologies presented from La France.

Actually we are not at home but in an overnight rest-halt hotel almost in Germany, into which country we venture tomorrow, driving - just like today - about 350 miles, which is quite enough at a legal 80 mph. Tomorrow night’s hotel overlooks the Harz metre gauge steam railway at Wernigerode, with 2-10-2s and 0-4-4-0s. The last time we were there, one of the party, a retired cleric, let slip that he was, hopefully is still, SM at Toddington.

• Like 3

This O Gauge stuff really gets hold of you !

After coming back from Swindon at the weekend and reading Jenkinsons book on scratch building coaches I got to thinking about doing something myself.

During a quiet moment yesterday I decided to make a start on scratch building a 4 wheel 3rd Class coach and here is where I am with it tonight

post-20303-0-98019900-1536693340_thumb.jpg

Some little bits of fettling and cleaning up around the bottom corner to do but overall I am pleased.

Really like this Silhouette cutter, and saves me quite a few quid too !

G

• Like 2

"A quiet moment"? You're a fast worker.  I'm studying the trackwork for clues of your layout :-)

Sunday night is a good time for me, no interruptions- normally !

As far as the track work is concerned, all may be revealed in the near ? future, possibly, maybe !

G

• Like 1