A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

7 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I'd quite agree with all that's been said but can I be controversial too and say that I feel we have been hoodwinked slightly on this model. With no prior images shewn of what we were actually getting for our 150 sheets.

My perspective is someone at Rapido should have looked at the first samples and said stop, this isn't going to work and isn't acceptable - there is no way around it, the 16xx model is flawed and is not something that should be delivered in model form in this day and age except maybe in a "railroad" type range.

For a company that works primarily on the make to the preorder numbers they really need to deliver or they risk people not placing preorders - and when you are planning on entering a new market the stuff you are making on commission is going to be the basis you are going to be judged by many - and it's not just those who ordered the 16xx as when shows return you can pretty much guarantee people will be running the 16xx on layouts with the fault there for every visitor to see.

The good news going beyond the 16xx is that generally Rapido (for their own products where they control what happens) show both pictures and a video of hand painted samples prior to the pre-order deadline so people can make a more informed choice.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes the 16xx bunker and the trenches, appalling fit and QC - not the usual thing you expect when Rapido have produced RTR for other companies.

After all Bachmann have produced and tooled absolutely superb Pannier with no ungodly trenches on the bunker - the 94xx, @gwrrob's is now waiting it's turn in the works (so I've been able to see & handle one in the flesh).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

For me it's a glaring error

I agree and as such, I shall be glaring at mine, when it arrives.

Well, who am I kidding?! I'll give it a nice cup of tea and admit it on to the Kernow Towers First Class Passenger Lounge on a provisional basis, permanent membership dependent on i) it running nicely and ii) the gap being filled successfully.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Another favourite of this thread 7804 Baydon Manor , will be retiring with the release of the new Accurascale model , so here she is again as we say a fond farewell.

Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye, cheerio here I go on my way.

7804.jpg.a229a5349927c3fb7542e2f3771c1ec3.jpg958181598_BaydonManor.jpg.4c65b96153088366cc03f8dd5cc13ba2.jpg795793574_DSCN6869(3).JPG.74655072a22e2e1b0343523c4b8afeab.JPG620298788_DSCN6871(3).JPG.be7a13622e825bdcb2a0a11854617171.JPG

Still better than a certain 16xx ;) 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Is the bunker on the 16xx the model railway equivalent of builders bum? 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Is the bunker on the 16xx the model railway equivalent of builders bum? 

Buttocks Cleavage could be you next layout title Rob.

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
On 06/02/2021 at 21:09, NHY 581 said:

I have to agree. I might well have gone for one of the Busby examples. Given the price, it's at the upper echelon of what I would pay for such a loco, but I rather thought one would look quite nice on Sheep Dip. 

Pictures of the model are hard to find but here is one ,1661, of the Busby chimney types.

27937197_1661withbusbychimney.jpg.6424670be22d4fc04852bd81925f947f.jpg

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

There are a couple of photos on the GWR Modellers Facebook page of a 16xx that has been worked over, with the trench filled and some weathering.  It’s hard to see from the back (as the fire irons have been fitted) but looks significantly improved from the side.

Utterly useless bit of tooling design, but at least it’s fixable.  Could be worse, they could have made it too small ala Flangeway

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

There are a couple of photos on the GWR Modellers Facebook page of a 16xx that has been worked over, with the trench filled and some weathering.  

Can't see them Rich as it's for private members only.:(

• Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Pictures of the model are hard to find but here is one ,1661, of the Busby chimney types.

27937197_1661withbusbychimney.jpg.6424670be22d4fc04852bd81925f947f.jpg

Is it me or are there two cut outs in the cab rear for the handbrake - should be just the one on the fireman's side?   Bunker still looks horrible.

Gerry

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Can't see them Rich as it's for private members only.:(

While it needs a Facebook account to access I would highly recommend the page.  Some very good modelling shared on there (and a couple of new kits have ended up being promoted through there so far. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

I dip into this most-entertaining and enlightening thread from time to time, but not of late; until just now. 

I'm interested about the comments regarding the forthcoming 16XX Pannier (I had no idea that one was in the pipeline RTR).

If folk are dissatisfied with it, why not have a go at building a kit for the same prototype?

1862204381_16XX23.jpg.80719e37b6e91923f26688604ee8e869.jpg

1564809369_16XX24.jpg.f8c98f855431ba0577ef6e7891359d12.jpg

I built this for a friend using the latest Nu-Cast Partners kit for the 16XX, painting it in plain black (he'll do the essential weathering). 

An excellent white metal kit, with a lovely etched chassis. A joy to build. 

It might not have the 'finesse' that modern injection-moulded plastic RTR bodies have, but there's no disfiguring bunker seam. 

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5