A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

How did you remove them - mine is still boxed because it looks to be a daunting task because of the way they are moulded, and every thing around them just waiting to get carved off by accident........

One option that may be easier would be using the Finney etched numbers on the Heljan plate.  Would be fiddly to apply, But would avoid having to carve off the original

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

15 hours ago, M.I.B said:

How did you remove them - mine is still boxed because it looks to be a daunting task because of the way they are moulded, and every thing around them just waiting to get carved off by accident........

Without wishing to appear a smart@rse, the answer is carefully. I used a new small scalpel blade to gently carve as much of the edges away as possible, then used the same blade sideways to pare away any residual and smooth everything over. Not a quick job by any means, and the nearness of rivets make it doubly perilous!

Another method that I might use now is a pointed grinding stone in a minidrill. I have used this method for similar jobs since with some success. The problem with Mr Adder's suggestion is that the plate is undernourished in the first place.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Peter C.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Help, GWR lovers!

I'm being propaganded in the direction of an ex-LNER locomotive. It has a tender behind, which might be difficult to resist!

An LNER loco! - be careful you could be banned from visiting Wales, which after all is GWR territory (almost) :D

Dave

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Help, GWR lovers!

I'm being propaganded in the direction of an ex-LNER locomotive. It has a tender behind, which might be difficult to resist!

it wouldn’t perchance be the latest Hornby offering in green ? If so,resist as if your very life depended on it.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Do I need to send out U-9 to disrupt these nefarious Pasty deliveries that are delaying it? 

No need as I already know who's eating all the pasties and he wouldn't want a cute pannier.

1721873885_sweettooth(2).jpg.67c5890fbc39e4baecc652226c9a0135.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Help, GWR lovers!

Think Dean Goods, Think Dean Goods, Think Dean Goods!!! And if that doesn't work try Armstrong Goods,  both are pretty little green locos.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Danemouth said:

An LNER loco! - be careful you could be banned from visiting Wales, which after all is GWR territory (almost) :D

Dave

But there was a bit that was LNER.

However, going back to mon capitains point, might I suggest that he lies down in a darkened room for an hour or two listening to a recording of the sound of inoffensive panniers hard at work.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

OK I'll fess up !

I did own one of what the Kapitan is suggesting and the J15 in my opinion it was one of the Sweet-est ( no reference to you Rob ! ) running model locos I have ever owned, what a pity some of the more recent offerings that have come onto the 4mm market haven't matched up to it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Help, GWR lovers!

Dear Captain,

Don't resist, you are very welcomed to delight in the nice locomotives that glided along the railways of East Anglia.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Dear Captain,

Don't resist, you are very welcomed to delight in the nice locomotives that glided along the railways of East Anglia.

Perhaps we might see a layout...? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1