A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just had my hands on the Kernow rail motor and you have to say it’s magnificent. I wasn’t allowed to take a photo unfortunately but more detail from Graham will be coming soon.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 23/09/2022 at 07:17, NHY 581 said:

All gone a bit 21C114 if you ask me......

Could be worse, I might be support crew at the next 21C110 Folk Festival. Not as a performer mind you, just helping some old mates who grew-up in GWR territory (and who are performing) with their rehydration.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

I’ve just had my hands on the Kernow rail motor and you have to say it’s magnificent. I wasn’t allowed to take a photo unfortunately but more detail from Graham will be coming soon.

I happen to have laid hands on one at Swindon a couple of weeks back although all were on display in Camborne last weekend.  For absolutely no reason whatsoever - apart from them being rather delectable - I am wondering about ordering a second one.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

apart from them being rather delectable - I am wondering about ordering a second one.

Very tempted by the crimson one after seeing it today although @Graham_Muz is concerned about the colour in different lighting conditions.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Very tempted by the crimson one after seeing it today although @Graham_Muz is concerned about the colour in different lighting conditions.

We (Muz and I) had an interesting discussion about it at Swindon.  One's perception of the colour can change considerably depending on the light source and the angle from which you view it.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 23/09/2022 at 15:50, The Stationmaster said:

And of course I also passed through Brent (twice reasonably obviously) which is but a mere shadow of its former self alas.

being a mere youngster, and a midlander to boot, it took me a fair while to realise that this Brent wasn’t in north London…. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, gwrrob said:

5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I happen to have laid hands on one at Swindon a couple of weeks back although all were on display in Camborne last weekend.  For absolutely no reason whatsoever - apart from them being rather delectable - I am wondering about ordering a second one.

Oh bu@@er..........🥺

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

You need to sell something Rob....

Um..........Does anyone fancy a very nice factory weathered Bachmann Earl by any chance..........? 

😬

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Clearwater said:

being a mere youngster, and a midlander to boot, it took me a fair while to realise that this Brent wasn’t in north London…. 

Don't worry, you're not the only one! When I first saw this thread years ago I had to look up where Brent was, as it clearly wasn't the place I used to have to sign on to the dole at, 30+ years ago!

• Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Um..........Does anyone fancy a very nice factory weathered Bachmann Earl by any chance..........? 

😬

I would offer you a rational and sensible response but we have been to the pub with friends, well six pubs in fact. The memsahib' went full dormouse within ten minutes of getting home, so it might be safe to say PM me with details. 

For now, I think she has the right idea.

Zebedee time methinks 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

😬

Ahem. 

Arrangements have been made for the mutually beneficial  disposal of the above. 

I thank you. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Ahem. 

Arrangements have been made for the mutually beneficial  disposal of the above. 

I thank you. 

No excuse now not to order a rail motor.😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 24/09/2022 at 14:52, gwrrob said:

Took loads of photos today.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I am far from competent to comment upon the accuracy of the railmotor, but having been shown a couple of samples today I am convinced that it has 'showroom appeal' by the bucketload, and Kernow have a successful model in, now, final development. 

I was also impressed by the sample's willingness to run, with interior lighting,  when a 9v battery was casually applied to any axle. This model will not be an awkward madam on the track. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/09/2022 at 16:14, teaky said:

I bet you're struggling with the thought of weathering that.

I’m rather hoping the great Gerry Beale tackles one to give us all some inspiration. His take on the Hornby Collett coach was rather splendid.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1