A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

The mention of the overscale GWR emblems on 9319 made me take this photo of my 6829 'Burmington Grange' for comparison.This was re-lettered using Fox transfers and looks better for it.

Agreed Rob, those Fox transfers look much more refined and well worth the effort.

Ah.........'Burmington Grange', reputed to be one of the best steaming and mechanically sound members of the class. She was loved by the men of 83A and always afforded a little extra attention by the shed cleaners. I think it was Bob Nicks who told me she was specifically chosen to receive an Intermediate 3500g Collett tender (rather than the heavier 4000g lump) in order to squeeze a few more MPH out of her. Whether true or not, it's a nice thought!

Regards,

Andy.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Rob. I still think a Southern 2-Set P wouldn't go amiss...Oh, and a N Class too (after all there's a GW influence in the design)

I won't pretend I know what a 2 -set P is but here's a closer look at those vans in detail.The Dapol vans have had the roof detailed with piping and steam heat pipes on the ends.Whilst the Hornby vans have had Bachmann type pipe couplings between themselves and the Dapol fruit d's too.I think this makes for a nice looking inter regional parcels train.

post-126-0-39953300-1367069756_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-80701000-1367069785_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-48464500-1367069805_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Guest jonte

Ah, yes; definitely recognise the 'Mikkel' influence there!!!!!

Rob, as far as I'm concerned, you can stick on (or off!) what you like. Just keep it coming - and perhaps another vid ? (go on indulge me!!). When it's modelled this well, who cares?

Bestest,

Jonte.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Ah, yes; definitely recognise the 'Mikkel' influence there!!!!!

Rob, as far as I'm concerned, you can stick on (or off!) what you like. Just keep it coming - and perhaps another vid ? (go on indulge me!!). When it's modelled this well, who cares?

Bestest,

Jonte.

Yes, despite it being the wrong side of the Tors, I'm enjoying the content and banter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for everyones kind words and likes and here's something nice for a Sunday afternoon.A few liberties taken with this train and one can only assume a failure of a King,ie I don't have one, as a double header of Hall and Castle bring the down CRE through Brent.

I've modelled seven coaches of this service.Five are kit built Comet and two are old Airfix.The kits were all pro painted by Larry [Coachmann] and Chris Phillips although I did build the kits, a couple with Mallards help I must confess.They are not easy and I wouldn't recommend them as a first go.I'll go into detail as we go through the shots.

post-126-0-72943700-1367148770_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-74736300-1367148787_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-65426200-1367148798_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

The third photo in this sequence shews the brake third [D120] which is the opposite hand to what the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby model represents.This is the full Comet kit and not the overlays that maybe could be used on an Airfix donor coach.

post-126-0-82765500-1367154056_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-25308600-1367154081_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-67331100-1367154126_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

This sequence shews both the restaurant coaches in the rake with a first [H43] and third [H44] respectively.A lot of work needed to do this pair as the interiors are very detailed.The final photo shews the corridor composite [C69].The curtains are etches from Frogmore/Dart and painted an appropriate colour.

post-126-0-07238200-1367154675_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-06698100-1367154709_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-22477000-1367154741_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Guest jonte

Quality models!!

Thanks also for the private showing of the vid, Rob. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have to agree with the observations of a previous poster: the quality of your photos (and vids) are excellent.

Thanks for sharing,

Jonte

• RMweb Gold

Call it a caption contest.A pair of trainspotters were seen on the sea wall this afternoon deep in conversation about what they'd saw.Any suggestions chaps.Please don't include the Finching sisters in this. :stinker:

post-126-0-87793500-1367175838_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Interesting you say that Mikkel. When I was detailing two Bachmann Manors one came with a roundel on the tender. I replaced it with a Fox GWR decal. There was a difference in size between the Fox and the Bachmann script resulting in me re-doing the other one too. 

Yes, it seems to me Bachmann changed the size of GWR lettering on tenders some years ago - going for a smaller size, which I think was a good move.

Wow, Robin you've been busy with the camera :-)  Those shots with the 93xx are really good, I think, especially those with a good depth of field. That does seem to make a big difference for realism in model photos. Glad to see the station signs on the layout. It's only with close-ups that you notice the letters have no relief, I think.   

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been converting some of my photos to black and white images this evening.Just wondered what everyones thoughts are on this and whether they really work or not for future reference.Here's a thrice of 4547 and 3796 again.

post-126-0-60345700-1367180560_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-22232000-1367180581_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-09523300-1367180666_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

There can be no doubt that b&w does make the subject seem more of its era. It's just that I feel if all the photographers of the classic era had had colour film as an affordable, viable option - they'd have used it! Railways since they began have painted their trains in proud colours, and it always seems to me to be a shame to mute those in our models by b&w or excessive weathering. By no means a universal view, I know.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Re 'trainspotters'. (Watty and Gibbo)

(W) Bliddy eck Gibbo, I thought it was an eight freight but 'twas a black 5.

(G) Nearly wet my kecks when I sees her coming out that tunnel Watty. Bliddy Foreman at Laira must have dropped a brick when that arrived; couldn't wait to get rid of it I bet.

(W) Think it must av been on  a footy special then Gibbo?

(G) Nah, 'twas on that extra what them hockey maids from Brissel was on goin' down to flummox those Truro wimmen.

(W) Oh, proper job then; are we goin to the pasty shop now or shall us wait fer mails?

P

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Re phots.

Beautiful CRE rake.  (The King had been taken off at Newton Abbot - problem with the pony springs seemingly). 

Lovely vans and wagons. 

B & W really good as you have to imagine the colours!

Quack

(P.S.) Rob is really modest about his coaches. OK so I did a tiny bit of basic soldering on a couple to save him time but just look at the end result(s). Those Centenary doors & ends are an ar*e to get right and he has got them just so. Also the interiors; what attention to detail. Great stuff and worth getting painted by the 'master'.

P

• Like 2

Call it a caption contest.A pair of trainspotters were seen on the sea wall this afternoon deep in conversation about what they'd saw.Any suggestions chaps.Please don't include the Finching sisters in this. :stinker:

"That was a Southern Spamcan ! What's going on?"

"Don't worry my friend that train was the 2.15pm North Road to St.Davids - the Southern chaps are just keeping up their route knowledge"

"Won't Rob be disappointed to have missed it"

"Somehow I don't think so............"

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for everyones positive input and 'likes'.There will be no photos tonight as I'm off out gigging in Brum.I'm seeing a band I first saw live in 1981 at the Odeon.Happy days. :no: 

• Like 1