A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

For years I thought Camilla was the "third person" in that marriage but it turns out to have been RAILMAIL.....

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

Is this kit as good as the Parkside version or isn't there much in it except price.

I don't know much about the Ian Kirk kit range, but the one I have has basic couplings and no wheels, whereas the Parkside kit comes with wheels and mounting blocks for Bachmann NEM pockets.

• RMweb Premium

Is this kit as good as the Parkside version or isn't there much in it except price.

Kirk kits were of their time - late 1970s - and were originally marketed as "basic kits", which they were. Nothing wrong with that and back then they were the only way to get a decent number of O13s in a reasonable time (i.e. without scratchbuilding). However, I wouldn't buy or build one nowadays as the Parkside kit is considerably better in every respect.

Ian Kirk is active on RMWeb so may well wish to comment himself, although I don't know if he follows this topic. The Parkside brand is of course a descendant of the Kirk brand.

post-21039-0-57659700-1463866273_thumb.jpg

I still have about 20 Kirk clay tips in service. Here is a short train of them in action. I built them over 35 years ago and they were weathered by Barry O of this parish. The rear two have modified underframes to represent the BR-built vacuum-fitted version.

Edit: the loco is a Nu-Cast 16xx which was weathered by the late Paul Fletcher.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

If I remember rightly some of the parkside range originally was the kirk kits, so I assume very similar (just the parkside kit has done more modern refinements.

Rich, that's right but the Parkside O13 is, as far as I know, from completely new tooling.

Usual disclaimer.

• RMweb Premium

Ian Kirk is active on RMWeb so may well wish to comment himself, although I don't know if he follows this topic. The Parkside brand is of course a descendant of the Kirk brand.

Well if he doesn't follow this topic - what's he doing on RMWeb?

• RMweb Gold

Rob, there's something that doens't look quite right. Is it the wheelbase? Should be 9' for a wagon of that kind.

Yes the wheelbase is a 10 footer.

• RMweb Premium

Yes the wheelbase is a 10 footer.

Ah, that probably explains it. The body is likely to be 17' 6" in that case. Clay wagons were 16' 6" to fit the tipplers at Fowey.

I've had three of these sheets for a number of years:

post-21039-0-74259300-1463912314_thumb.jpg

At one time I intended to build them and put them on Peco chassis, but frankly they are way out of period for me so that is unlikely to happen. If they are any use to you (or anyone else) I would be happy to post them on.

Edit - these are 5 plank opens without end doors, so probably used to carry coal to the dries rather than clay the other way.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Talking of modellers licence and plenty on shew this morning as a pannier,3796, runs wrong line with an up coal train working.

post-126-0-33506300-1463912473_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-42469600-1463912494_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-67675700-1463912511_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-28681400-1463912532_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

You  will  be pleased to know Parkside Dundas are at Railex. Wanna give them a call and tell them to stock up on O13 s   ????????

Why are you all going to treat me to some...

• RMweb Premium

It's all gone quiet on here for some reason?

Yes, it's the quiet contemplation of the loneliness of the little Telegraph Pole that looks so forlorn sat there. Poor thing feels really inferior to the bl##dy great tall one near by.

I want to adopt it and look after it.

A.G. Bell.

• RMweb Gold

Unbelievably following that post of St Enoduc earlier I actually have one of those wagons on a Peco underframe.Spams will probably smack me one if I were to use it...

post-126-0-23548700-1463927199_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-27588100-1463927218_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-34653500-1463927243_thumb.jpg

My old stock box of junk is a bit like Mr Benn's dressing up box from the 70s.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Unbelievably following that post of St Enoduc earlier I actually have one of those wagons on a Peco underframe.Spams will probably smack me one if I were to use it...

attachicon.gifDSCN8400.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8401.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8402.jpg

My old stock box of junk is a bit like Mr Benn's dressing up box from the 70s.

Wagons featuring love-ins are a bit risqué, even for Peco in the 1970s.

Talking of modellers licence and plenty on shew this morning as a pannier,3796, runs wrong line with an up coal train working.

I assume he will stop to set the Pilotman down?

Is this to do with relaying up at Wrangaton again?

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it's the quiet contemplation of the loneliness of the little Telegraph Pole that looks so forlorn sat there. Poor thing feels really inferior to the bl##dy great tall one near by.

I want to adopt it and look after it.

A.G. Bell.

I think the duck needs help.....