A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

At least the Russians know that you need properly trained & attired staff to take care of your valve gear....

attachicon.gifrussian-2.jpg

Nothing infantile about that

Very worrying picture that.  I think the idea is to distract our attention from the extremely flimsy looking support for the valve spindle.  

Just the sort of trick you'd expect foreigners to come out with - obviously they're even worse than the LMS (impossible tho' that might sound)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning All

I would just like to take a moment, if I may, to acknowledge the generosity and skill of of one of the senior members of ANTB..........drum roll.......Mr Duck

But why here on ANTB I hear you ask...............well my own thread has too small a following and even vaguely on topic posts about railway matters are now not to appear on SOSJ until 2017!

In any event Rob started it all

I had been ranting on Granby about the absence of RTR GWR Passenger Brake Vans and expressing envy for Rob's stunning model of a K42.

post-465-0-96056500-1464021707_thumb.jpg

To which he replied

You need to put some Comet sides on an old Railroad Collett for a K40John.

There then followed a flurry of PMs with Mr Duck which, after some horse trading *, resulted in him offering to put the said sides on a donor coach to be provided by me. * I dont think there is any question that I got the best of the deal.

So here is a shot of the rather lonely sister of the B Set donor

post-465-0-58432900-1464021737_thumb.jpg

The other half must now qualify for the title of most travelled coach.......apart from its original journey from Hong Kong to North Wales (Dapol) Liverpool and finally Vancouver.....it has now shuttled back and forth across the Atlantic between Vancouver and Nottingham

Andrew at Wizard Models (Comet) did a great job dispatching my order of the sides and assorted bits and pieces to Mr Duck's abode

Finally the postman delivered this on Friday

post-465-0-74563200-1464021750_thumb.jpg

Hasnt Mr Duck done a brilliant job?  Way beyond my skill level. All I have to do now are the little fiddly bits......really looking forward to the T handles......oh and the painting.

I will record the build on Granby but I hope that I may ask for advice here if when I run into difficulties

By a happy coincidence it is my birthday today and my daughters are about to take me out to lunch........hopefully there will be many toasts.......one for sure will be to you Phil for your kindness and craftsmanship

smileys-cheers-064946.gifsmileys-cheers-064946.gif

Kind Regards to all from Vancouver

John

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

So well put John. It's on occasions such as this, quite humbling how kind people are.

Splendid bit of Armstrong action there Rob. Nice to see.

Rob.

Edited by nhy581

• RMweb Gold

Before you paint it John it would be a good idea to remove the middle detail on the ends as the K40 didn't have it and the gangway will need to sit flush.Glad to be an inspiration.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

post-126-0-21172100-1464027821_thumb.jpg

Interesting package next to the Palethorpes advert; great product positioning Rob.

That Love My Sandboxes is growing on me. The tender is quaint.

Is the Loco RHD? Looks like it but my eyes are getting a bit weak.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The 4F is one of Bachmann's finest models. It really does the prototype proud and you cannot have enough as far as I am concerned.

Rob.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good Morning All

I would just like to take a moment, if I may, to acknowledge the generosity and skill of of one of the senior members of ANTB..........drum roll.......Mr Duck

But why here on ANTB I hear you ask...............well my own thread has too small a following and even vaguely on topic posts about railway matters are now not to appear on SOSJ until 2017!

In any event Rob started it all

I had been ranting on Granby about the absence of RTR GWR Passenger Brake Vans and expressing envy for Rob's stunning model of a K42.

attachicon.gifK 42 BV.jpg

To which he replied

There then followed a flurry of PMs with Mr Duck which, after some horse trading *, resulted in him offering to put the said sides on a donor coach to be provided by me. * I dont think there is any question that I got the best of the deal.

So here is a shot of the rather lonely sister of the B Set donor

attachicon.gifB Set Donor.jpg

The other half must now qualify for the title of most travelled coach.......apart from its original journey from Hong Kong to North Wales (Dapol) Liverpool and finally Vancouver.....it has now shuttled back and forth across the Atlantic between Vancouver and Nottingham

Andrew at Wizard Models (Comet) did a great job dispatching my order of the sides and assorted bits and pieces to Mr Duck's abode

Finally the postman delivered this on Friday

attachicon.gifBrass.jpg

Hasnt Mr Duck done a brilliant job?  Way beyond my skill level. All I have to do now are the little fiddly bits......really looking forward to the T handles......oh and the painting.

I will record the build on Granby but I hope that I may ask for advice here if when I run into difficulties

By a happy coincidence it is my birthday today and my daughters are about to take me out to lunch........hopefully there will be many toasts.......one for sure will be to you Phil for your kindness and craftsmanship

smileys-cheers-064946.gifsmileys-cheers-064946.gif

Kind Regards to all from Vancouver

John

Thanks matey. Pleasure. Good luck with those recessed handles. I believe Geoff told me that he put a small plate of plasticard behind the 'hole' and fitted the handle into that but I could be wrong. Plenty of people will have done one of those, including Rob.

Philth.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks matey. Pleasure. Good luck with those recessed handles. I believe Geoff told me that he put a small plate of plasticard behind the 'hole' and fitted the handle into that but I could be wrong. Plenty of people will have done one of those, including Rob.

Philth.

Mr Ricey in one of his many scribblings uses that method, although I believe he used something other than plasticard, to stop it melting when soldering (formica perhaps?).

• Like 1

Little Miss Strange - how do you sex a locomotive?

(Yes, very carefully - asbestos underpants etc)

[Verse 1]

No one knows where she comes from   ..........Leeds

Maybe she's a devil in disguise

I can tell by looking in her eyes

[Chorus]

Little miss strange

Little miss strange

J. Hendrix

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mr Ricey in one of his many scribblings uses that method, although I believe he used something other than plasticard, to stop it melting when soldering (formica perhaps?).

1/16th Paxolin or Formica, e.g. a bit of old circuit board material.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

1/16th Paxolin or Formica, e.g. a bit of old circuit board material.

I left mine till all the soldering was completed and used 40 thou plasticard that I'd pre drilled for the door handles glued to the inside.

• RMweb Gold

Another top bloke who on this thread is Stubby47(Stu) and he's had a play with a couple of photos from a couple of weeks back.A Hall on an up cattle train passes as a prairie arrives at Brent.

post-126-0-11392800-1464071977.jpeg

post-126-0-52772100-1464071988.jpeg

Thanks Stu.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I've got china clays and their multiplying.

Yes, I do have a Collett Goods and here's the comparison.

I see Gerald Wants Rough is chasing Little Miss Strange today - filthy boy!