A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

For that amount of rust, you wouldn't expect the details to be so complete - eg smoke box dart, con rods etc were usually long gone by that point

Should have checked some prototype pics...

Even better, it's still got its lining.

How clever of BR to mould it on; I never realised they'd done that. ' 

Even better, it's still got its lining.

How clever of BR to mould it on; I never realised they'd done that. '

Ha! Of course, on the real things as the upper levels of paint peeled off, you could sometimes discern a ghostly gwr roundel or even earlier version. You can see a clear "great western" on one of the unrestored tenders at Didcot for example

• Like 2

Ha! Of course, on the real things as the upper levels of paint peeled off, you could sometimes discern a ghostly gwr roundel or even earlier version. You can see a clear "great western" on one of the unrestored tenders at Didcot for example

Indeed, though there is nothing incorporeal about that thick ridge of plastic Mr-Money-For-Rusty-Old-Rope has left on his Dapol special, however!

• RMweb Gold

I don't need the actual coupling piece but does anyone know if the part with the wedge shape moulding is available separately to use in nem sockets.

post-126-0-28614600-1464162384.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Somewhere I have a photo of a relatively recently arrived 72XX at the GWS at Didcot which had been treated with paint stripper.  The paint strip had attacked the paint, through several layers, but not the transfer so there on display from a carefully selected viewing angle were all the transfers the engine had worn since (and including) the GWR roundel).  Wonder where the pic is? 

• Like 2

Somewhere I have a photo of a relatively recently arrived 72XX at the GWS at Didcot which had been treated with paint stripper.  The paint strip had attacked the paint, through several layers, but not the transfer so there on display from a carefully selected viewing angle were all the transfers the engine had worn since (and including) the GWR roundel).  Wonder where the pic is? 

A fascinating and historically rather valuable photograph.

Where did you leave it?

• RMweb Gold

I don't need the actual coupling piece but does anyone know if the part with the wedge shape moulding is available separately to use in nem sockets.

attachicon.gifpic_PA33.jpeg

I've 2 doz Hornby ones knocking about you can have Sunday how many do you need ??  :nomention:

(PM me with amount.)

Edited by 81C
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifpic_PA33.jpeg

Been there, worn that t-shirt Rob. I'm afraid that they aren't to my knowledge available separately. I assume you want them to go between the Kadees and mounting blocks?

Two options:

1. Buy the whole nem couplings in the Bachmann multi packs.

2. Find someone who buys Bachmann wagons and fits alternative couplings like AJs or 3-links.

I'm sure if you ask nicely enough there's plenty of folk on the forum who could send you their cast offs rather than bin them.

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Gold

That is the intention with my 52xx when I get on and paint it. (Having came as a non painted sample from eBay...)

For a 72xx, Rob's in post war green is perfect

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Would look good with an N on the front...

This Sunday should see me reacquainted with this beauty of 'ours' courtesy of Graham Muz.

post-126-0-69559400-1464202923_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Spamalot. Nice..........

I'm going to be an ar$e and suggest you put  little and very thin slivers of plasticard over the slide bar slots, same shape as the fitting. That is, of course, unless Spams (2 many), tells us that was removed from this loco in this condition.

P

• Like 1

This is how this class should look; Southern on the tender, yellow stripes, 'real' green and not imitation GW green along with Technicolor lining! In spite of Mr Bs 'air smoothing', these are streamliners, like it or not. Just take a look at a Southern express at speed and no funny pictures of them with two or three coach trains, tender first!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This Sunday should see me reacquainted with this beauty of 'ours' courtesy of Graham Muz.

attachicon.gifmsg-243-0-21391600-1459692754.jpeg

Indeed. I have taken the liberty of taking a few snaps on my own train set Fisherton Sarum before she heads to the 'South West' via Railex and Coventry...

post-243-0-42253100-1464249274_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-63004800-1464249275_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-61623100-1464249276_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Another unexpected parcel has arrived with the Hornby train pack comprising of a Duchess and three LMS maroon coaches in the Barry Freeman series.

Never one to miss an opportunity we decided I could use the coaches for a North to Plymouth cross country service as these trains were mixed with GWR coaches both ways.

Here's what I've got.No idea on diagrams but do look nice with Colletts.

All first.

post-126-0-08940400-1464275648_thumb.jpg

All third

post-126-0-81473000-1464275663_thumb.jpg

Brake third.

post-126-0-60252600-1464275677_thumb.jpg

• Like 12