A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

I'll let you do one for me after your summer siesta.

attachicon.gifDSCN8555.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8556.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8557.jpg

and weather these...

attachicon.gifDSCN8558.jpg

No, no more model railways, it's far too complicated for me I'm going to watch endless episodes of Pointless and fry what brain cells I have left, either that or drown them in beer.

Drink!

• RMweb Premium

I assumed that the plates were removed after the war and the loco not always repainted?

I don't have any reference books here, and as you know there's more than a couple of black engines in my 1947-ish world.

Some Halls were built (with no names) straight into black, and windows were not "plated" because they never existed in the first place.  Lots of plates came off after the war before repaints for sure.

My 6944 is just like the original - black with no name and no cab side window from manufacture.  Dragging a lined green post war G**W logo  tender.  Photo of the original is on this site somewhere.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was looking at the gable end detail Mike. Lots of what looks like woodwork and glazing in the P Grey photo.

It's still extant as CK gets his molars sorted there.

post-126-0-59816000-1464799636_thumb.jpeg

Peter Leyland has built one in 4mm.

post-126-0-15151800-1464799681.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

If any one want anything modified their is a bus drive in Basingstoke who is an absolute expert in his field. :O

post-8647-0-78062600-1464801230_thumb.jpg  :declare:

Fortunately no one was injured in the making of this modification.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Right, I need to get serious now as I'm getting some measurements together to do the footbridge. I need the width of the stair towers.Here are a few photos to go on.

post-126-0-67700900-1464805281_thumb.jpeg

post-126-0-53960000-1464805307.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

So

Right, I need to get serious now as I'm getting some measurements together to do the footbridge. I need the width of the stair towers.Here are a few photos to go on.

attachicon.gifpleylandmodels162.jpeg

attachicon.gifCUL0104.jpeg

Some time back Rob there were some pics of the footbridge. I you can 'gather those' then it should be possible to estimate the dimensions. Of course, if you can get a set of drawings..........................

I bet Mike (Stationmaster) will come up with the info for that.

Phil 

• RMweb Gold

I read a reference in 'Echoes of the Great Western' by Dick Blenkinsop to the windows on the footbridge being of 'frosted glass'. Presumably you are aware of this, Robin?

I just thought they were covered in filth and soot.

• RMweb Premium

Footbridges :There's a drawing in "bridges for railway modellers" which shows the centres for the columns under the intermediate landing as being 5' 7.5" on the standard GWR lattice bridge, and the span, centre to centre on the inner columns, being 40' 6". The distance for the slope for the steps from the column centre on that side to the face of the entrance arch is 14' 6". The clearance height for a passenger entering the arch under the valance from the platform is 8'. Looking at drawings in "pic. record of GWR architecture" (opc) the dimensions are too small to be sure, but I think the inner clearance between the inside of the angles for anyone going up the stairs is 5'.

post-26540-0-37642100-1464816138_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It's going to be a job to fit it in that way round Rob - unless you do a Larry and knock a hole in the wall.

Thank goodness a footbridge is being built. I have ruined several pairs of shoes crossing the lines on the ballast without a wooden walkway. Hopefully that nice Photographer, who takes pictures several times a day, can take them from the new footbridge without using that noisy drone.

• Like 2