What have you done with your Keyser kit

.... it is available separately, about £30 but yet to ask whats included....

From memory, it consists of fold-up chassis frames (you need to specify if you want the OO or the EM/P4 version), triple-layer laminated rods which you can build jointed, brake hangers, shoes and pull rods. Pony truck frame, cylinders, slidebars and motion bracket (only the early type is catered for), plus DIY crossheads and connecting rods. I think that's it. The frames come in rigid form, as standard, with allowance for hornblock systems.

The only Keyser kits that I have are the Mataro carriages, two of which I have had for over twenty years built but not painted and two that I acquired form eBay just a couple of weeks ago.

I also purchased two Dapol Rocket kits to go with them one converted to look like Northumbrian.

post-34584-0-25283100-1531652710_thumb.jpg

Rocket with its train.

post-34584-0-80050800-1531652766_thumb.jpg

Northumbrian with a similar working.

post-34584-0-13232600-1531652819_thumb.jpg

Double Header !

The carriages are slightly modified in that I have put in compartment dividers and floors but no seats, the foot boards have been cut down to single steps and Dapol spoked wagon wheels fitted. One of the mail coaches has had windows cut into it so that there would be three first class carriages and a mail coach.

• Like 16

Other than the PDK chassis (which may be available separately - ask Paul Hill if he's able to sell you one), the Worsley Works chassis seems to the only game in town for the eight-coupled tanks, but it's not listed as a separate item on the WW site at the moment. The main part of the etch looks alright but, for the 2-8-2T, the rear section for the radial truck is a bit of a work of fiction, as it's been designed to taper rather than be correctly "joggled".

Gents, don’t ignore the Brassmasters 42xx & 72xx chassis? Although designed as overlays for the Hornby the proprietor assures me that they can be built as complete chassis provided you source the cylinders, pony trucks ans spacers.

HTH

Tim T

The only Keyser kits that I have are the Mataro carriages, two of which I have had for over twenty years built but not painted and two that I acquired form eBay just a couple of weeks ago.

I also purchased two Dapol Rocket kits to go with them one converted to look like Northumbrian.

attachicon.gifDSCF0306.JPG

Rocket with its train.

attachicon.gifDSCF0307.JPG

Northumbrian with a similar working.

attachicon.gifDSCF0308.JPG

Double Header !

The carriages are slightly modified in that I have put in compartment dividers and floors but no seats, the foot boards have been cut down to single steps and Dapol spoked wagon wheels fitted. One of the mail coaches has had windows cut into it so that there would be three first class carriages and a mail coach.

I like the conversion for Northumbrian

• Like 1

It is absolutely astonishing how much those Mataro coaches are sometimes successfully sold for. I managed to bag a pair for a fiver sometime back however and decided that they'd eventually appear completely fictitiously in a old GWR lvery. Here's one: the coach has over-scale wheels to lift it a little higher.

41925278491_4e78528f15_z.jpg

Tony

• Like 5

It is absolutely astonishing how much those Mataro coaches are sometimes successfully sold for. I managed to bag a pair for a fiver sometime back however and decided that they'd eventually appear completely fictitiously in a old GWR lvery. Here's one: the coach has over-scale wheels to lift it a little higher.

41925278491_4e78528f15_z.jpg

Tony

I was lucky with my latest pair at £7.50, I ducked out a few months back when they went for about three times that. Your paint job is better than mine, my eyesight isn't what it was even with my specks on!

I like the conversion for Northumbrian

Thanks for the compliment.

The loco was was built up as usual leaving off the chimney and inserting plate frame sides from black .020" plasticard. Then I made the drum type smoke box and extended the height of the fire box similarly, the chimney being cut down in length and glued directly on to match the height of the Rocket which was also in the works. The cylinders were then positioned at an angle that seemed right at the same spacing from the wheel as Rocket's along with cutting off the boiler fittings and re fitting them as you see them with paint to finish. The crew had their top hats reduced and a bit of plastic surgery to their arms to make them more like enginemen.

The tender is a cut and shut of the original with overlays and additions, the coal rails were painful.

Gibbo.

Here is the picture I used;

post-34584-0-25428900-1531691037_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a Rocket coach for about £5 a couple of years ago, now in my ballast train....

I like those Mataro coaches, shall have to keep an eye out for one....

post-6979-0-78053000-1533735107.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 9

Prizewinning kit even! Seems like a W/M kit would be the way to go. I did consider maybe purchasing an ACE kit anyways, and then maybe in some years time I will have the skill required to finish it!

Thanks for the words of warning guys, I knew ACE weren't great, but I didn't know they were this bad!

unless you are prepared and able to do a LOT of scratchbuilding i would avoid Ace kits like the plague. They are truly dreadful.

Thanks I have just bought a 7 mm scale LSWR H15 !!

Which one flat or stepped over cylinders? You have to be very careful with H15's lots were rebuilds and not many are the same. The stepped footplate ones are nearly all the same. Watch for centre line of boilers this probably varies.

When I did my stepped S15 from the same range, the footplate is best cut into sections as it's not long enough by the small step. Cab side sheets and roof were also wrong. But for some strange reason the front was ok and actually put the boiler down to the right height. Apart from that most was not too bad. I did build new slide bars etc to make them more prototypical, not because the his didn't fit. Oh urie tender sides were too short to radius the rear corners so I fitted tube to them and the back.

Which tender will you build as they seem to use water carts, urie 5000 and 5500. Last two the tank heights are slightly different.

Thanks I have just bought a 7 mm scale LSWR H15 !!

You might find that in 7mm the kit is half decent.

From what I gather, talking to various people who have built them, the 4mm kits are the beggars 'cos they are scaled down 7mm kits and something evidently happens when you do that!!!

For my sins, I have an Ace J class pacific tank to build!!!

Only game in town for a truly beautiful big tank! 

Had the bread, had to do it!! Now I have to pluck up courage to start the beast!!

C.

Thanks for both replies, Peter no idea which one just fancied building a large tender loco more as a display item rather than a model for the layout. Glad it was designed for 7mm rather than a 4mm model which has been enlarged, I can see why there are issues reducing or increasing the size of design

Been hankering to do a very simple EM gauge conversion to either a Keyser 14xx or 57xx loco using an 80's series version with the plastic wheels and HPM motor rather than the earlier type, as the chassis is a bit better , being more square and ridged). Got a reasonably built non working (which usually means needs cleaning or just no returns) 14xx for a tenner and £3.35 postage. Have a new set of Romfords in a box and may have to swap the motor over to an Anchorage D series or DS10. Seems to be missing steam pipes etc. I guess it could even be done in P4 but I have no wheels 

As I've posted before there is an unmade K's Dean 0-6-0 outside frame for sale in California. It hasn't sold in four months, not surprising at $199!

Anyway my question is, did K's do an inside frame Class 2301 Dean Goods, and is this Class 2361 just the same kit with outside frames? Apparently the Class 2361 had a different boiler and longer wheelbase.

As I've posted before there is an unmade K's Dean 0-6-0 outside frame for sale in California. It hasn't sold in four months, not surprising at $199!

Anyway my question is, did K's do an inside frame Class 2301 Dean Goods, and is this Class 2361 just the same kit with outside frames? Apparently the Class 2361 had a different boiler and longer wheelbase.

Hi Jeff,

The K's 2361 is the same kit as the regular Dean Goods just with the added outside frames and extended axles. These were produced in the days when "near enough is good enough" for modellers starved of variety without having to create all new tooling. The 2361's had wheel spacings of 7'9"+ 8'0" for a total of 15'9" while the 2301's were 7'3" + 8'3" for a total of 15'6".

Dave R.

Thanks Dave, I was almost getting interested enough to make a bid......

As said it's a kit of its time, and a cheap way of adding another class to the range. As a 70's/80's design, with an old fashioned brass bar chassis, naf wheels, motor and gears I would say probably worth up to £80 and no more, especially as it would be advisable to build an etched brass replacement chassis with new motor, wheels and gearbox 

There's a 63xx for about the same price...perhaps a more accurate model?

Still far too dear. many go for around £60 and I would not pay that much and I love K's kits. You must start at the assumption that the wheels gears and motors are shot, so you are talking about large sums to be spent on replacement parts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ks-Whitemetal-Locomotive-and-Tender-Kit-00-Gauge/292670098695?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D51875%26meid%3D1f9dcddd55fe4846b71fd5b9efee056f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D332574943565%26itm%3D292670098695&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Looks to be missing the frame spacers, axles and 8ba nuts and bolts, motor and wheels are rubbish, frame spacers from Markits

Still far too dear. many go for around £60 and I would not pay that much and I love K's kits. You must start at the assumption that the wheels gears and motors are shot, so you are talking about large sums to be spent on replacement parts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ks-Whitemetal-Locomotive-and-Tender-Kit-00-Gauge/292670098695?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D51875%26meid%3D1f9dcddd55fe4846b71fd5b9efee056f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D332574943565%26itm%3D292670098695&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Looks to be missing the frame spacers, axles and 8ba nuts and bolts, motor and wheels are rubbish, frame spacers from Markits

Out of interest ... what is this loco - not a Dean Goods I think with the wavey footplate.