Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

With regards Nuclear movements, I was under the impression for an MOD police friend that they had to have 2 locos to prevent the train been stationary in an unsecure location for a length of time, with all of todays security and threats about.

But as you say that could just me a miss interpretation on his or my part.

Although still want to know about the barrier wagon at the rear, or again is that as case of miss interpretation? 

Most nuclear movements having nothing whatsoever to do with MoD police and the only ones I know of which might interest them were always worked by a single loco in BR days (when they were treated very confidentially indeed).

Some require barriers and some don't although the Pink pages (of the WMRS) changed several times on that one over the years.

The MOD police has taken more jobs with regards this type of traffic, back filling the Nuclear Constabulary with the jobs, although there primary concern is them very confidential trains, again this is from him and was the 2 locos issues.

Yeah just seems very vague with regards nuclear traffic what you do and don't need what constitutes as what etc, I would have thought that well even if it was for public piece of mind ther0,e would be one set format for any kind of radioactive traffic regardless of how active so to speak it!

Then you can excuse the way I put it army talk coming now, disguise the nuclear moves so that while they don't become routine you can't say ah that one has passed x place it's going to y it will be there in 2 hours!

• RMweb Premium

a few from the last couple of days...

monday was hinksey to bescot, a few while waiting outside oxford

S0027664.jpg

66416 in Powerhaul looks a whole lot better than 66504 with the large grey expanse around the buffers.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

Jim, thanks for another fine set of shots, as Pete suggests they would be great for a reference work!

On record as an old steam loco fan, I'm nonetheless fascinated by Jim's window on the modern railway world, through the eyes of someone who is not just knowledgable, but also a talented photographer. No matter what camera you can afford, the ability to frame the scene properly is, if anything, more important! Jim has that ability in spadefuls!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Great pics Jim, bone to pick time. Where's the pic of my 323 that past you at Bescot before the 57/37 combo . I always wonder when passing a colas loco if you're on it, now I know you was lol.

it came past so quickly i didn't have a chance to get a picture!!

i did spot an LM guard taking a piccie of us from the back cab though, but think that may have been on a rugeley bound 170 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jim, thanks for another fine set of shots, as Pete suggests they would be great for a reference work!

On record as an old steam loco fan, I'm nonetheless fascinated by Jim's window on the modern railway world, through the eyes of someone who is not just knowledgable, but also a talented photographer. No matter what camera you can afford, the ability to frame the scene properly is, if anything, more important! Jim has that ability in spadefuls!

Kind regards,

Jock.

thanks jock

most of the pics i put up here are unedited, they are as they come out of the camera, however i think i may have one leg shorter than the other as the angle of some of my pics are shocking before i straighten them up!

admittedly i have played about with a couple of the derby pics though, for example the 2 of the meridians at st mary's have had some reflective glare taken off them as they were taken through the front window but i've only used the basic in house photobucket edit functions, i'm not confident or indeed interested in going down the photoshop route!!

some fantastic pictures over the last couple of pages, I serially especially like the GBRFs and those pictures showing the roof for reference when weathering. Thanks so much for the references.

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Gold

Decided to get a bit of culture in between turns!!

D324B4D7-20D4-4613-8C09-E4D6E3495820.jpg

Poppd into the LTM shop while i was around covent garden, going to go back tomorrow and have a look at the museum itself, the shop has lots if the Bachmann ltd red class 20s and prairies in stock, i may well treat myself tomorrow

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

well that was brilliant!!

what do i go and see tomorrow night?

If you have the slightest tendency towards the music of Queen, I can recommend "We Will Rock You"

Cheers,

Mick