Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

Jeez, they make 70’s look pretty..................interesting livery, though, but.

Best, Pete.

I really like the livery on the 68. The compass is not plain white, but actually a map of Cumbria. I posted a close-up here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76254-laoson-valley-1990s-tmd-oil-terminal-p-way-yard/?p=1519303

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Apparently the regulations have changed and OHLE flases are no longer required - but the orange stripe must be there.

(Trying to find the relevant RGS data sheet............)

Cheers,

Mick

Interesting... Presumably that means steam locos with mainline certificates will still need 'up to date' flashes as they won't have the orange line?

• RMweb Gold

anyway back on topic, a few from today....

put me in at bushbury for a bit so got some pics out of the window

DSCF7440.jpg

DSCF7442.jpg

DSCF7443.jpg

then onto winsford where i got a few more

DSCF7444.jpg

DSCF7445.jpg

DSCF7446.jpg

and finally into warrington where luckily the train back to crewe was 5 late so we managed to get away early from there!

DSCF7447.jpg

DSCF7448.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
trisonic, on 20 Jul 2014 - 06:57, said:trisonic, on 20 Jul 2014 - 06:57, said:

Jeez, they make 70’s look pretty..................interesting livery, though, but.

Best, Pete.

I agree. Typical 'Euro looking'  junk, looks just like its cars! It should have a Citreon badge on the front and even makes a Voyager look attractive.

Makes me appreciate American stuff even more but Britain so needs to build its own again!

My opinion :toclue:

Edited by Gary H
  • Like 1

True -  but compared to most US locos "form does not follow function" - the 68 looks bulbous and bloated and I guess I don’t like locos where the cabs stick out ahead of the trucks/bogies so much....but that maybe because of the limited loading gauge, of course.

I’m sure that they’ll grow on me...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't dislike them but I can only really form an impression when I see them 'in the flesh. - Class 70s look better in real life than in pics in my view.

A possible problem with the 68s is that they have ben shrunk from the original design to fit the UK loading gauge which could have lost any visual goodness the original body styling had.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting... Presumably that means steam locos with mainline certificates will still need 'up to date' flashes as they won't have the orange line?

Going OT - sorry Jim,

Yes, the steam locos need OHLE flashes. I think the regs are that the orange line must be continuous, with no break larger than 200mm, otherwise it also needs OHLE warnings.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Liking the 66 rake - especially the BYA with open/partly removed hood.

Cheers,

Mick

i thought of you when i saw it to be honest!!

arpley to marcroft service, note how the hood is held open with a ratchet strap!

Nice photos, would have said hello of I knew you were I'm Warrington

not unless you had running shoes on you wouldnt, we got in at 13:41 and the train back was 5 late so it was a mad dash, as you can see in the last 2 pics!!

• Like 3

A possible problem with the 68s is that they have ben shrunk from the original design to fit the UK loading gauge which could have lost any visual goodness the original body styling had.

What goes around comes around..............................should I mention V200's and Warships ?   :)

Edited by D1059

• RMweb Gold

due to last minute staff sickness we (trainee and myself) had to do warrington-chirk-carlisle, a full 12 hour job and a bit of a killer, thankfully the last bit is pass back so you can get a bit of sleep until warrington

because of that i cant catch the start of my job tonight so have a nice little chirk-warrington after rest

just 3 iphone pics taken at 04:00 in kingmoor while we were running round

almost sunrise

7D0A7DCF-EBAF-4ECF-A223-5E5A7C675A18.jpg

couple of ews locos

FC86D2FA-A4C2-48A9-A7A8-C1B52E8B94E8.jpg

our train after running round ready for the key to be inserted and the train set back into the log sidings

CC9CA7BA-4834-47D8-9B10-83192D2217D2.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

carlisle logs this week, 66847 earlier in the week then 56105 for the rest (including tonight)

And about 5 minutes after Jim's posting, I got a quick dodgy phone pic as 56105 headed south towards him!

post-408-0-32571500-1406313457_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Just one from last night, former WSMR loco 67012 working the WAG express to holyhead, back on its old stomping ground through chirk!!

33153138-1F38-4EBE-8345-A7070ECAB404.png

A few days off now that im looking forward to, time to recharge my batteries!!

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

A few days off now that im looking forward to, time to recharge my batteries!!

And if you had been working, this is what you would have got at Warrington.

70802 with 56105 DIT on 6V38 Carlisle-Chirk at Whalley station

(This is the odd end of 70802 without the end number.)

post-408-0-62032600-1406392831_thumb.jpg

Who put the H0 56 next to the 00 70?

post-408-0-77163300-1406392835_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 14

Is the sign between the two locos the name of the station or the name of the person who lives in that house?..................

Sorry Mick!

maybe the entrance too National Lampoons film whalley world ( drone)

in second shot you do wonder how close the 70 will be to old tunnel/bridge roofs.