The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

• RMweb Premium

Guess which biscuit bar I have just eaten?

Why was the Penguin's head so cold?

Because he was wearing an ice cap.

Hat, coat and heading for Virtual Railfan at Fort Madison.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Make the most of it, I am just about to move house and I have been told that since September you cant get a new land line phone!

Jim

I think what you've been told is that you can't have a new analogue phone line. You can still have a land line but it will be BT's Digital Voice (or other equivalents such as from Sky) where the phone is plugged into the broadband router. I have Digital Voice and it works fine. 

Edited by RFS
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, RFS said:

I think what you've been told is that you can't have a new analogue phone line. You can still have a land line but it will be BT's Digital Voice (or other equivalents such as from Sky) where the phone is plugged into the broadband router. I have Digital Voice and it works fine. 

The significant drawback is that if one's area had a major power outage (widespread enough to take out your local mobile phone masts), one would be unable to make a call to the emergency services should the need arise. The analogue phone draws its power from the landline, independently of your mains electricity; with a digital service, you are dependent on mains power, unless you've got a backup generator, UPS, or whatever, which few have.

As usual, the vulnerable and elderly are being sacrificed on the altar of technological "progress".  

• Like 1
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

As usual, the vulnerable and elderly are being sacrificed on the altar of technological "progress".  

When else do you want them to be sacrificed?

😝

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Ian J. said:

Simple answer is for the router to have a small UPS/battery in it to keep it connected to the network...?

Yes, although it's more complexity that those most at risk might have problems with.

Still Ofcom have given this a lot of thought and concluded that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

The problem for communication providers is that the kit needed to keep the old analogue telephone network operating is becoming increasingly hard to source and expensive. BT's national roll-out of fibre is not an attempt to increase profit. It's an attempt to get ahead of increasing costs.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The significant drawback is that if one's area had a major power outage (widespread enough to take out your local mobile phone masts), one would be unable to make a call to the emergency services should the need arise. The analogue phone draws its power from the landline, independently of your mains electricity; with a digital service, you are dependent on mains power, unless you've got a backup generator, UPS, or whatever, which few have.

Indeed, but bear in mind also that, according to Ofcom, 8 out of 10 households only have cordless landline phones which also will not work in a power cut because the base station needs power. You would need a corded analogue phone plugged directly into the phone socket to be able to make calls in a power cut. 

• Agree 4

When I was "upgraded" to VOIP by BT this time last year, there was some sort of scheme to provide a subsidised small UPS to customers considered vulnerable.  I don't know if this is still available but it only provided backup power for about 4 hours, which would mean that if power died overnight, your VOIP connection would be equally dead by the morning...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, RFS said:

Indeed, but bear in mind also that, according to Ofcom, 8 out of 10 households only have cordless landline phones which also will not work in a power cut because the base station needs power. You would need a corded analogue phone plugged directly into the phone socket to be able to make calls in a power cut. 

Yes but that's because they've been insidiously weaning people off this safety feature.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The significant drawback is that if one's area had a major power outage (widespread enough to take out your local mobile phone masts), one would be unable to make a call to the emergency services should the need arise. T

Sadly with the rollout of digital smart tech the emergency services would probably be incommunicado as well.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, RFS said:

That's why I keep a corded phone in a cupboard.

Looks like when VOIP's forced on me (which currently looks like involving losing either my current phone number or my email address, neither of which appeal, just to add to the fun) I'll just have to make do with no phone at all if the power goes down.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2