RMweb

Inspection Saloon

Chameleon

• RMweb Gold

Glad these have finally landed, I've just ordered one.  I'm sure I've seen photos of the one that was used in passenger trains on the Kyle Line (ADM 45028) with Highland Rail stags on the sides?  I can't find one now though!  Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers,

Rick

Not with Stags but at Kyle 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16205328@N02/8514623736

and at Inverness

https://www.flickr.com/photos/terry47401/10082829343

Chaps, some of you are getting confused between two entirely different prototypes. The one Bachmann have produced is an ex-LMS Inspection saloon, originally a non-passenger carrying vehicle (apart from some use on the Kyle line in the 80's as a revenue spinner when redundant from its main role) used by Inspectors to inspect track, lineside equipment, engineering work, etc. I think Rick and BR(S) are confusing this with the ex Class 101 DMU vehicle converted for use on the Kyle line in the 80's exclusively as an attraction and as a means of extracting more cash from tourists. The latter is not available in this configuration as an RTR model.

• RMweb Premium

. I think Rick and BR(S) are confusing this with the ex Class 101 DMU vehicle converted for use on the Kyle line in the 80's exclusively as an attraction and as a means of extracting more cash from tourists. The latter is not available in this configuration as an RTR model.

Yet..............

Cue a Ltd Ed release.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks for the replies and the picture links.  I am aware of the different carriages, there's been several carriages used as observation carrs on the Kyle Line over the years, an exDevon Belle Obs, Caledonian Saloon No.41, GWR Saloon No.9004, the LMS Inspection Saloon and the exClass 101 DMU trailer.  There may be more.  I've still got it in my head that I've seen a picture of the LMS Inspection Saloon with white stags on it, I just can't find any evidence of it now!

Cheers,

Rick

And perversely the photo's really don't do it justice - in the actual plastic, it is a thoroughly delightful model and well worth the equivalent of 2/3rds a tank of diesel, I can catch the bus to work for a week - hang on, what do I use for bus fare ???  :)

• Like 2

Mine arrived this morning and was pressed in to service before adding the detail pieces. Wow what a great model  :locomotive:

A few piccies

post-7934-0-05297900-1407582501_thumb.jpgpost-7934-0-17072100-1407582515.jpgpost-7934-0-93777900-1407582525_thumb.jpgpost-7934-0-56314400-1407582574_thumb.jpgpost-7934-0-06626900-1407582774_thumb.jpg

If you are using Kadee couplings it looks like #18 is perfect and the NEM pocket is not far off the correct height 

post-7934-0-96011700-1407582775_thumb.jpgpost-7934-0-89139700-1407582776.jpg

It is interesting to not that the bogies have electrical pickups fitted. This has got me thinking about some lighting possibilities  :scratchhead:

• Like 2

Chaps, some of you are getting confused between two entirely different prototypes. The one Bachmann have produced is an ex-LMS Inspection saloon, originally a non-passenger carrying vehicle (apart from some use on the Kyle line in the 80's as a revenue spinner when redundant from its main role) used by Inspectors to inspect track, lineside equipment, engineering work, etc. I think Rick and BR(S) are confusing this with the ex Class 101 DMU vehicle converted for use on the Kyle line in the 80's exclusively as an attraction and as a means of extracting more cash from tourists. The latter is not available in this configuration as an RTR model.

BR(S) hasn't gone senile just yet and can tell the difference between an ex-LMS saloon and 101!!  Just wondered whether Rick_Skateboard had wrongly remembered what he saw.

Mine arrived this morning and was pressed in to service before adding the detail pieces. Wow what a great model  :locomotive:

A few piccies

attachicon.gif20140809_104438_Android.jpgattachicon.gif20140809_104504_Android.jpgattachicon.gif20140809_104554_Android.jpgattachicon.gif20140809_104618_Android.jpgattachicon.gif20140809_105058_Android.jpg

If you are using Kadee couplings it looks like #18 is perfect and the NEM pocket is not far off the correct height 

attachicon.gif20140809_105236_Android.jpgattachicon.gif20140809_105409_Android.jpg

It is interesting to not that the bogies have electrical pickups fitted. This has got me thinking about some lighting possibilities  :scratchhead:

I'm curious to know how the coupling height compares to the Kadee height gauge.

John

A few piccies

Thanks, Tigger! Wow! What a fantastic model - at first glance, I thought you'd used photos of a full-size one, but no, this paintwork is better! Second thought was 'So that's what  7mm, 0 Gauge models are like now, is it?'

Finally, I realised this is Bachmann's 00 gauge model, straight from the box (except for coupling change). Now I can see why the prices have become what they are today, and now I know why I'm willing to pay them!

OK, today's (and tomorrow's) prices for RTR mean that as a pensioner, I will need to be selective, and consider what will be of use on my railway, rather than what do I 'need' (technically, nothing, but want is a different matter!), but self-discipline and getting one's priorities right never really do any harm!

Richard.

Taken the plunge and ordered one, there must be a photo somewhere of one on the S&D. I think the price is very good for something with, possibly, limited appeal.

• Like 1

I think the price is very good for something with, possibly, limited appeal.

I imagine it will have a very wide appeal across the whole spectrum of modelling. It was always an awkward model to build with more going on inside and on the roof than folk might imagine, and seeing as Bachmann is doing a number of key liveries, it is just a matter of waiting.

• RMweb Gold

Taken the plunge and ordered one, there must be a photo somewhere of one on the S&D. I think the price is very good for something with, possibly, limited appeal.

http://www.asgq57.dsl.pipex.com/3218/s&d/branch/specials/641013-1418-D6320.jpg

http://www.asgq57.dsl.pipex.com/3218/s&d/branch/specials/641013-1419-D6320.jpg

Ok it is in fact a WR one in the pics, but sufficient justification for this and a 22 to shuffle onto my S&D might have been every so often  8)

Matt

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Photos you posted show a GWR design in Western Region brown & cream my friend, not LMS. Another point, the S&DJR shut before corporate blue arrived.

I know.

To clarify I posted the pics for JZs benefit as they seem to be the only commonly available shots of any inspection saloon or a 22 on the S&D whilst open.

I also suspect Jz as well as myself is aware of when the S&D closed.

I will play about an see if I can improve the height, thanks JZ

Now for the bag of detailing bits and where do they go  :paint:

post-7934-0-55926000-1407605436_thumb.jpg

I know that F are the fixed couplings and I think that A,B.C, and E go where I have indicated

post-7934-0-80523500-1407605449.jpg

If I am correct (probably not!) can anyone tell me where D goes please

I will play about an see if I can improve the height, thanks JZ

Now for the bag of detailing bits and where do they go  :paint:

attachicon.gif20140809_181321_Android.jpg

I know that F are the fixed couplings and I think that A,B.C, and E go where I have indicated

attachicon.gif20140809_104504A_Android.jpg

If I am correct (probably not!) can anyone tell me where D goes please

Between C & B there is a hole below the buffer beam for D to fit into. Kev.

Between C & B there is a hole below the buffer beam for D to fit into. Kev.

Oh yes I have seen it now, it was hidden by the NEM pocket. It looks like that may have to be removed if I am going to fully detail one end