Heljan Warley 2013 news

Dagworth

but I wonder whether the market will support two upgraded Class 33/0's?

I would much rather they be in the Heljan main range, I can then buy what I want and within reason of production runs when I want.  RE way off selling them was rubbish. It is up to me how many locos and what liveries I buy, I wasn't lashing out £400 on four locos for two I want.

- Introduction to 2nd WW - Metro Maroon fully lined (yellow/black/yellow) with original three piece cast nameplates and Metropolitan crest (crests were removed when inducted into LT in the early thirties)

- Wartime grey with nameplates removed and no lining - just numbers and London Transport.

- Post wartime simplified maroon with minimal yellow lining, London Transport fleet-name in gold, numbers in yellow and new single-piece cast aluminium nameplates - as per No.5 in the LT Museum.

If it sells well perhaps Heljan will consider a post-war liveried one - I don't think grey will sell well though!

I will be going for a Grey one and a post-war one if it comes, as they are the ones that I remember trundling/growling/speeding through Pinner.

Now, what about some rtr Dreadnought coaching stock??

I hope Heljan realise that Sarah Siddons as preserved isn't entirely representative of the rest of the fleet - certainly the nameplate location and consequent handrail adjustment isn't standard on one side. It wouldn't surprise me if there were other examples.

Jon

• RMweb Premium

I've always found Heljan running qualities to be excellent, very smooth with first class pulling power. The models themselves have been up and down (particularly the 86) but on the whole whilst not perfect most of the Heljan models have been in the grey area of "could do better but nice enough to buy and be happy with" in my opinion.

• RMweb Premium

Nicely put!

The 35 and 27 cut the mustard for me - OK so the duff is a bit tubby but it will shift anything we can hang on the back

Phil

Maybe I'm conditioned by what we all happily accepted for years until the mid-late 90's (pancake motors, no flush glazing, no brake hoses or dummy couplers, crude details all moulded etc) but I honestly find that the vast majority of models are really not at all bad and generally pretty good. Not perfect but I really do think that sometimes we should take a step back and view this hobby for what it is, an enjoyable hobby.

i wasnt aware of Daves predictions and went along to Warley expecting the surprise to be something well surprising.  The 33/0s felt like a bit of red herring if im honest and it caught me right out :)  I wont pretend to know a great deal about the RE deal falling through on these but I wonder how many others went along hoping to see "their" new release of choice?  Oh well.........pleased for the guys looking for a new 33/0.

Still the as built class 26 EPs looked very good indeed.

....I need at least one all over green 33/0 for TG and based on Heljan's track record for poorly replicated body shapes/absence of superb detailing it won't be theirs. Come on Phil we'll still be waiting for the ultimate 33/0.

Dave

....I need at least one all over green 33/0 for TG and based on Heljan's track record for poorly replicated body shapes/absence of superb detailing it won't be theirs. Come on Phil we'll still be waiting for the ultimate 33/0.

Dave

So what are the problems with the Class 27 and the Metrovick?

Here's something I've been wondering. As a BR steam era modeller, Heljan haven't previously been on my radar as a supplier as they haven't made anything which fits my needs. So I know very little about them. But these new announcements (along with the Hattons Garrett, which I've already ordered) do bring them into my horizon.

So, DEMU modellers who are already familiar with Heljan, how good are they? These prices do seem a little steep, but if they reflect the quality of the model then I'm prepared to pay them. But I don't want to pay over the odds for something which is inferior to the offerings of Bachmann and Hornby.

Are they worth it, or not?

I've always found Heljan running qualities to be excellent, very smooth with first class pulling power. The models themselves have been up and down (particularly the 86) but on the whole whilst not perfect most of the Heljan models have been in the grey area of "could do better but nice enough to buy and be happy with" in my opinion.

I hope Heljan realise that Sarah Siddons as preserved isn't entirely representative of the rest of the fleet - certainly the nameplate location and consequent handrail adjustment isn't standard on one side. It wouldn't surprise me if there were other examples.

Jon

While I agree that Heljan are usually "good enough" (especially regarding the diesel prototypes where an affordable alternative model is unlikely to be available) and I have a dozen of them, the danger of them falling into the trap mentioned by jonhall regarding the details of Sarah and the Met Bo-Bos is something to keep an eye on. To be fair though, Heljan aren't the only ones to have made some erroneous assumptions. As with all things like this, we wait and see, and if any "errors" are apparent, we make a judgement as to whether it's still better than nothing. 

Of course we haven't actually seen anything yet and we should remain optimistic. I certainly will be putting something aside for these and to be honest, they'd probably have to make a real mess of it for me not to buy at least one.

RP

Off the top of my head I think Heljan have a lot more hits than misses 15, 16, 27, 28, 35, 58, 128, Falcon, Lion, Kestrel, WM Railbus.

ok.gif

I'm not sure off the top of my head how many locos that adds up to, but when you consider the 47's & 86's, that's 612 locos that don't look right...

14, 26, 33/1 and 33/2 can also be added to that list.

....I seem to remember issues with spacing of the cab front windows on some of those 33s...therefore we'll agree to differ as we obviously have different expectations. 

Of the 6 Heljan locos which I've been daft enough to pre-order I've only kept the Hymek...all others flogged for best offers because they weren't good enough. No more pre-orders for sure.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

....I seem to remember issues with spacing of the cab front windows on some of those 33s...therefore we'll agree to differ as we obviously have different expectations. 

Of the 6 Heljan locos which I've been daft enough to pre-order I've only kept the Hymek...all others flogged for best offers because they weren't good enough. No more pre-orders for sure.

Dave

You might be right on the windows, but they look right to my eyes so I'm happy enough. I never heard about it before. As you say, different strokes. I would definitely agree with you about preorders mind you and carry that through to all manufacturers. I like to see what my money is going on and look at least at the pre-production models before deciding. If I don't like I don't buy.

Archived