Heljan Warley 2013 news

Dagworth

• RMweb Premium

Whatever this surprise loco will be by Heljan at the NEC, will no doubt gather interest no doubt. As long as it is affordable in some way, then I will most likely buy it, whenever it gets released.

Has Heljan ever been in the DMU/DEMU/EMU market at all?. Maybe one of them, who knows

Hi Hornbyfan

They have done a couple of railbuses and a Class 128 Parcels single car (probably the best DMU). They to date have not done a "proper" multiple unit. A Class 116 would be wonderful, but would settle for a Cross Country unit (either class 120 or 119, not too fussy), or a Swindon intercity unit or even just a Class 104. As for an EMU, something GER suburban would be great, but as Andi says they should really stay away from AC sparks.

Whoops gone into wishlist mode. :rtfm:

5 pages in and no-one has questioned their lunacy for announcing an electric model, but without a full range of conductor rail accessories. You can't have an electric loco in your range without masts/wires/rails/feeder stations, you know...

Traksy, on 13 Nov 2013 - 20:12, said:

Yes, and the class 68 as a 0 years old locomotive and it already is getting a model. Clearly it has nothing to do with age. And I'm not even remotely convinced Sarah Siddons will turn more profit than a 90.

The difference is expectation. You'd expect the LT B0-B0 to be an expensive limited production run (and as such Heljan will expect it to make a profit on the first 500 produced), conversely the market probably would rebel at a "bread and butter" loco such as the 90 at the same price point, so you'd have to make and sell a lot more to make the same profit.

The Heljan announcement mentions the Met-Vic Bo-Bos. Clearly "Sarah Siddons" will be the star turn but there are options with regard to names, numbers and liveries for the whole class. 

As is suggested,Heljan would probably seek to cover the cost and turn a profit purely on sales of No.12 as preserved and running at LU150.

Enthusiasts may wish to buy other examples of the 20 locos in the five principle livery variations and maybe some of the less well known schemes.

The LT museum may have some say in this if they choose to commission further examples with saleable names. . 

Regarding the 3rd/4th rail issue; I wonder how many Hornby 5bel, 2bil and 4vep or Bachmann 2epb, 4cep or mlv run over the juice. Even if a large proportion of models end up in a display cabinet most of the time and get played with when no ones looking, they still earn the same income for the factory. Many of EFE's unpowered 38/59 stock sets sold out very quickly and thinking of EFE, what proportion of the buses they sell are LT red?

Just a thought that a Met Bo-Bo might not be so whacky as it may appear. In any case I doubt if anyone asked themselves "Shall we do a class 90 or something weird instead"

RP

As all of these new releases are to be 00 gauge, I suspect an O gauge reveal of some sort.  I wonder though, is there room for another new player in the N gauge arena?

It would seem a waste to not try and capitalise on the existing Class 86 chassis tooling thats probably now gathering copious amounts of dust on a shelf somewhere, for either an 87 or a 90 or to get back to the drawing board and redesign their 86 body.  Not a lot wrong with the bottom half of the model was there?  Half the works done.   Anyway I doubt it, I'm biased to AC's where my interest mainly lies.  I wont kid myself Heljan are interested in doing anymore with their 86.  

• RMweb Gold

You can't have an electric loco in your range without masts/wires/rails/feeder stations, you know...

We know you know how to do that, and have a very fine tee-shirt to prove it!

Actually, 3rd/4th rail needs a darn sight less talent to install than believable catenary, although you can go the whole hog and make it working, of course - as was commonly the case in models in the '50s, before 2-rail systems became the norm.

Elsewhere on RMweb people are talking about the potential success of models of "whacky" prototypes, and noting that even if only half successful, these things fly off the shelves through showroom appeal far more quickly than the most accurate but humble black 0-6-0. The Met electric must come in the same category, even if they never got further north than Ricky.

The Heljan announcement mentions the Met-Vic Bo-Bos. Clearly "Sarah Siddons" will be the star turn but there are options with regard to names, numbers and liveries for the whole class. 

As is suggested,Heljan would probably seek to cover the cost and turn a profit purely on sales of No.12 as preserved and running at LU150.

Enthusiasts may wish to buy other examples of the 20 locos in the five principle livery variations and maybe some of the less well known schemes.

The LT museum may have some say in this if they choose to commission further examples with saleable names. . 

Regarding the 3rd/4th rail issue; I wonder how many Hornby 5bel, 2bil and 4vep or Bachmann 2epb, 4cep or mlv run over the juice. Even if a large proportion of models end up in a display cabinet most of the time and get played with when no ones looking, they still earn the same income for the factory. Many of EFE's unpowered 38/59 stock sets sold out very quickly and thinking of EFE, what proportion of the buses they sell are LT red?

Just a thought that a Met Bo-Bo might not be so whacky as it may appear. In any case I doubt if anyone asked themselves "Shall we do a class 90 or something weird instead"

RP

Hi Roy,

TFL will have the biggest say, as you need a license to use the logo (and boy are they on the ball), however it may all fall down if my info regarding the blue team being in the driving seat for this model ( in conjunction with the 150 celebrations) proves correct.

By the way my info was from a top guy within TFL/LU.

Actually, 3rd/4th rail needs a darn sight less talent to install than believable catenary, although you can go the whole hog and make it working, of course - as was commonly the case in models in the '50s, before 2-rail systems became the norm.

Elsewhere on RMweb people are talking about the potential success of models of "whacky" prototypes, and noting that even if only half successful, these things fly off the shelves through showroom appeal far more quickly than the most accurate but humble black 0-6-0. The Met electric must come in the same category, even if they never got further north than Ricky.

3rd/4th rail still needs to be observed to be modelled correctly, such as where ramps are used and feeder wires go (which only results in putners asking if the conductor rails are live or commenting that the layout isn't very good as they can see the track feeds...).

Sarah Siddons did reach Crewe for an open day in 1997. The class 71 was in the same convoy, should anyone be putting two and two together....

Just  as  an  aside,  I  built  and  used  OHL  on  my  G scale  line  in  the  garden  spme  years  back  now  when  we  went  thro' a Swiss RhB  phase, it  was  fairly  easy (ish) to  build in install   and  it  worked fine, the  negative  point  was   though  it  was NOISY!  In that  the  pantographs on the  locos tended to make a sort  of  squeaky swishing  noise,  not  too bad  on a  breeszy day  but  it  did get  a bit  tedious when everywhere  was still and  quiet!

I will probably  buy  a Met  electric  or  2* I quite  like  them,  although  there is no 00 layout  here at the moment,  It could  be  run on the  0n30when no one is looking

*Sherlock Holmes would  find  a  home  here!

• RMweb Premium

*Sherlock Holmes would  find  a  home  here!

Just what I was thinking.  I grew up near Northwick Park, and remember these guys humming by while my brother and I used the two trees near the park entrance as a goal.

Being pedantic, that should be TfL.

I'm not sure it should. When the British Film Institute went through a particular phase of "branding" they decided that their name should always be written in lower-case, italic and bold - bfi. But I think that applies only to people who are trying to duplicate the corporate style whereas if I'm writing about the organisation and wish to use a three-letter acronym to describe them, I can't see any reason why I shouldn't be free to write it in the usually-accepted way - BFI or TFL.

How organisations choose to brand themselves is one thing, but they can't seek to impose a whole new writing convention on everyone else!

Paul

From Model Rail on Facebook

The Danish company has also confirmed the types and identities of the Gresley '02' 2-8-0s and Hunslet Class 05 shunters in development for 2014/15: 

OO LNER/BR class 02 'Tango' 2-8-0

Proposed models - version 1 - class 02/3 with high running plate and 'stepped' tender

3910 - LNER 3965 in LNER black

3911 - BR 63954 in early BRITISH RAILWAYS black

3912 - BR 63948 in BR black with early crest

3913 - BR 63952 in BR black with late crest

Proposed models - version 2 - class 02/4 with high running plate and 'flush' tender

3920 - LNER 3962 in LNER black

3921 - BR 63983 in BR black with early crest

3922 - BR 63975 in BR black with late crest

3923 - BR 63982 in BR black with late crest

Ooooh, lovely lovely.

That is 5 locos for me :danced:

My only problem is that in the ABC I am looking at 63948 was an O2/4 and 63975 was an O2/3, but it is a minor point.

Archived