Heljan Warley 2013 news

Dagworth

MetVic (Sarah Siddons) adventurous?  Yes, but personally I find it an odd choice for mass produced RTR. 

I think its got a very, no, make that extremely, limited market IMHO.  I am pleased for the few that model the areas/networks that these found themselves on though.  

Yes to the comments re; Class 86 - no repeats agreed.

Youve got to take your hat off to Heljan for striking up with this model though especially in the current economic climate.

Looking forward to seeing some new Class 26s.

Surprise announcement?   Erm......all new Mk3 coaches?

I think they've woken up to the impulse purchase market, as there is a difference between what might be requested on a wish list Vs something that may never have been considered but would still sell. And judging by Heljan's record for prototype accuracy and their response to errors pointed out at the design stage, they are prototypes that would still sell despite poor reviews as there is nothing to compare them to.

When someone has seen an item for sale, the heart can take over before the head takes back control and tells them they don't need a loco that they don't have a use for or don't plan to build a layout for....

• RMweb Gold

Given Heljans record, they ought to carry on and release it!

I really would hope so - when you know what work has been put into something by what I would consider a source trusted for attention to the things we like to see receiving attention in model development it is not a happy situation when they are pipped at the post.  However there is of course the old problem about the potential size of the market and whether it is a reasonable risk to engage in head-on competition with another manufacturer.  You never know - Heljan might be at a very early stage and they're still, it seems, some way from tangible things with models they announced a year ago (could various EPs appear at Warley I wonder now they are more settled on details for the 2-8-0, and the Garratt is presumably moving on to full production?) or have they 'done a little one' as a fill-in between bigger and slower gestating items?  We might, perhaps, learn more at Warley?

• RMweb Gold

I think they've woken up to the impulse purchase market, as there is a difference between what might be requested on a wish list Vs something that may never have been considered but would still sell. And judging by Heljan's record for prototype accuracy and their response to errors pointed out at the design stage, they are prototypes that would still sell despite poor reviews as there is nothing to compare them to.

When someone has seen an item for sale, the heart can take over before the head takes back control and tells them they don't need a loco that they don't have a use for or don't plan to build a layout for....

Very true - and interestingly it seems to be a market area that is relatively recession proof, or has been so far.  Mind you with all the stories around about 'the cost of living' increasing by the hour I do wonder if  peoples' thoughts about purchasing one of these 'fun' models might begin to change?

Re. Sarah Siddons, yes, a choice which 'should' have a limited appeal just because of the prototypes limited geographic range, but it probably has, what Ian (Oldddudders) described on a similar topic, as 'showroom appeal'. It's a distinctive locomotive which will appear in a very attractive livery. Many, probably me included, will see the model and think, very nice, I'll have one.

Indeed, at the moment, Sarah Siddons is the most high profile preserved electric in the country after the Met 150 celebrations, it looks charming and if modelled well, even I would consider one and I'm pretty sure she never made it to South Wales!

• RMweb Gold

I do mean the 1366 Mikkel and I can't say any more at the moment but I think it would have been a cracking model.

This thread is getting as cryptic and tight-lipped as a Whitehall mandarin ! (Tongue-in -cheek) 'Sources close to the P.M. Indicate...' etc. etc.I think it was the LMS with the turbo motive and the LNER with the'hush-hush' W1 who introduced the romantic notion of secrecy into the pressure-cooker race for ultimate steam in the thirties.Though anything less romantic than an outside cylinder pannier would be hard to imagine

So then,Weymouth or Wadebridge ? Heljan are much-maligned.They are experienced in HO steam models over many years.OK,they are untested in OO ,but things look very promising.Under the present circumstances thank heavens they are optimistic and adventurous players in the UK market.From being a third force,they are set to be a major player.Good for them.

Anyway,this has our speculative juices flowing and gives us a bone to gnaw on in the absence much -expected containers from China on the Margate/Barwell axis.

From Model Rail on Facebook

BIG NEWS! Heljan has just revealed the new models it will announce at the Warley NEC show on November 23. 

Err, is that some sort of marketing speak? Or am I wrong in thinking they have just announced what they are going to announce?

Err, is that some sort of marketing speak? Or am I wrong in thinking they have just announced what they are going what they are going to announce?

As I only vaguely follow the RTR market, my initial reaction was that the products would be available for sale at Warley, and this announcement was to make sure that plenty of people would turn up with money in their bank accounts!

I would have preferred the 1366 to have been "a local engine produced for/by local people" given their success with the "Beattie", but I suppose Heljan must be given their chance.

I just hope it's a Heljan product with the necessary  "wow" factor, as a few of Heljan's previous British outline models have fallen a little bit short in the "wow" stakes.

With regard to Sarah Siddons I can't think of many locomotives that have been around for nearly a century with next to no change in appearance or livery. I expect it will have very broad appeal, underground enthusiasts will all want one for a start. There's lots of excuses to have one on a layout, dragged to an open day at York or Crewe etc or back from refurbishment somewhere. I think it might have visited Richmond for a Victorian themed evening in the 90's, it worked trains in 1989 on the Windsor Branch for the 150th anniversary of that line.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50576141@N03/5497995612/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46416526@N06/7312872674/lightbox/

http://www.hondawanderer.com/12_Wraysbury_1989.htm

http://class20locosociety.co.uk/blog/2013/5/steam-on-the-met-test-runs

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenpoole/8260865871/

Lots of excuses to get one!

Err, is that some sort of marketing speak? Or am I wrong in thinking they have just announced what they are going to announce?

I had a friend (and Girlfriend) who announced several years ago that they were going to be getting engaged the following year. We could not quite get him to see how announcing they were engaged to be engaged is infact being engaged (just without a ring).

Must be something missing in the translation to Danish too....

With the surface link and exchange with the GCR/LNER/BR(ER) it is much more than an 'underground system' prototype in scope. Good interesting choice of subject which reflects well on Heljan's exploration of 'where next'?

I would guess at a Southern steam type to round out their opening collection of older UK locos. The S15 has always struck me as a major SR type 'going begging'.

Back to the 1366 I don't think you need to be Sherlock to surmise who the other manufacturer might be though whether this is a model that's worth going head to head over is something others will have to decide.

Quite why Heljan settled on this class I have no idea but very pleased they have. For all sorts of sloppy and sentimental reasons I'll be quite prepared to dig deep so hopefully they'll get it right. Be nice if it came with optional bell and perhaps fireirons and bucket along with the usual extras. Be a companion for Bacchy's "74XX" as they were tram loco's for a time.

Grateful it's not 7mm as that would have caused problems........

Stu

I really would hope so - when you know what work has been put into something by what I would consider a source trusted for attention to the things we like to see receiving attention in model development it is not a happy situation when they are pipped at the post.  However there is of course the old problem about the potential size of the market and whether it is a reasonable risk to engage in head-on competition with another manufacturer.  You never know - Heljan might be at a very early stage and they're still, it seems, some way from tangible things with models they announced a year ago 

If your contacts feel that they can get an accurate-enough model to market before Heljan, I would hope that they do go for it!

They may well have more time than they thought, if today's news in the Heljan threads re the 7mm AC Railbus delays even at this stage are anything to go by!

First one to market with the right product at a fair price should capture at least the lion's share!

First time I saw a 1366 Class was when I went from Waterloo to Guernsey via Weymouth, lovely experience in so many different ways, and never even dreamt of the possibility of an r-t-r model of the loco being produced!

Perhaps some incognito questioning of the Danes at Warley might yield sufficient info to let your contacts make their decision - it would be very painful for some enterprising party to make a losing bet! (We've seen what happened when Skytrek took the wrong risks!)

Good luck to whoever 'they' are, and if not a 1366, is there another nice but niche ex GWR or ex SR class of small locos as yet unclaimed by the 'bigger boys'? Oh, yes, there's a heavy Pannier with outside valve gear on pilot duty at Paddington!  Sorry, I mustn't start a wish list!

Richard

It's what happens these days. There's been a massive contraction of the hobby of railway modelling over the last ten years. In it's place has sprung up a hobby based around frothing around new RTR releases.

With regard to Sarah Siddons I can't think of many locomotives that have been around for nearly a century with next to no change in appearance or livery. I expect it will have very broad appeal, underground enthusiasts will all want one for a start. There's lots of excuses to have one on a layout, dragged to an open day at York or Crewe etc or back from refurbishment somewhere. I think it might have visited Richmond for a Victorian themed evening in the 90's, it worked trains in 1989 on the Windsor Branch for the 150th anniversary of that line.

Lots of excuses to get one!

It also did a circular railtour of Kent in the mid 80's

Weymouth calls, the call is answered.

Pete

I think the mystery third item in keeping with the froth about a scale working dutch cyclist from a few years ago, will be animated OO figures that can walk and wave a red flag. Most useful for Weymouth Quay layouts and turn of the century ones too.

Archived