Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

DJM wish list thread

DJM Dave

Anything GWR and outside framed! Also please make it easier to back date locos to the pre grouping period eg no cab shutters, options on top feed etc and boiler/firebox combos. Start with a Dean 3031 single and a 2381 060 tender engine...

drduncan

I'd love to see another ex-NER loco, hopefully following the trend where manufactures doing pre-group have tended to do complimentary types from the same company. Several popular NER types have already been mentioned, I'd like to see either a J21, J27, or G5.

J21 very popular, long lived, could run anywhere on NER territory, and a preserved example currently being restored for modern interest. A word of caution on this one though, very similar to a J15 someone's already doing, so they're half-way there already. Not much more than a change of cab and tender, both being T.W.Worsdell machines.

G5 basically the standard NER passenger tank, ran anywhere NER pre-group till replacement by the DMU. New-build project nearing completion for modern image interest (or even possibly, tie-in).

J27 again a very popular engine, would run anywhere NER, right up till 1967, the last pre-group engine in service. Preserved example for modern interest again. Besides, my pair of Q6's would look lost without their little cousin!

Know you've a lot on already, so possibly by February?

....anyone would do!

And make the OO models so that they can be easily converted to em and p4; ie 1/8th axles for steam driving wheels, 2mm for everything else, sufficient clearance between splashers, motion, cylinders etc. Or supply the bodies & tenders as spares so us em and p4 types don't have to buy a complete loco and then discard the OO mass market chassis. Perhaps tie in with Brassmasters and their easi-chas designs....?

drduncan

And make the OO models so that they can be easily converted to em and p4; ie 1/8th axles for steam driving wheels, 2mm for everything else, sufficient clearance between splashers, motion, cylinders etc. Or supply the bodies & tenders as spares so us em and p4 types don't have to buy a complete loco and then discard the OO mass market chassis. Perhaps tie in with Brassmasters and their easi-chas designs....?

drduncan

I'd agree with this, but we all know that the days of Margate-style stocks of "every part for every model" are long gone... Edited by Horsetan

I got to page 11 and gave up.  So straight to the point. Please design your models to have easy conversion to real scale couplings, either screw or 3 link as appropriate.  For those purists around this is a guaranteed winner.  Otherwise we have to take our Dremels out and carve up your beautifully designed models.  Which might just be the tipping point!

Well since the Q6 is on the cards

We would have to request the the following in no particular order:

J21 

J25

J26

J71

J73

J77

D20

C6

C7

G5 

G6

AEROLITE WITH SALOON

A6

A7

A8

T1

Q7

Y1 & Y3

SENTINEL RAILCARS

PLEASE.

Time to give the GWR modellers a run for there money.When Bachmann announced they would'nt touch the Q6 it was on the basis of it being too regional.then of course they produced the 72xx I rest my case.

Best wishes for all your future projects Dave.

Eric & Gripper.

Edited by Eric & Gripper

• RMweb Premium

Have we considered wagons on this thread? I know Dave is concentrating on locos at first but there are 2 wagons which I think would be popular in N:-- the PGA  4-wheel stone hopper (the Farish one badly needs updating) and the JYA bogie tippler, which is available in kit form from TPM, but without NEM pockets. As the latter wagon was used on iron-ore and stone traffic, there would be several livery options; plenty of liveries too for the PGA.. Both types have run behind 59s and 66s plus the PGA has been hauled by Westerns, 47s,37s and 33s. Pretty relevant to current requirements I'd say.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Crepello,

The TPM JUA/JTA wagons were supplied with cast frame Y25 bogies, which aren't quite right.  ATM is developing some of the correct ESC axle motion bogies (the spotting points are they are generally bigger and chunkier, with four springs either side of each axlebox and a pattern of strengthening fins radiating from them) and these will have NEM pockets.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Please put suggestions, wish lists etc in this section rather than general posts please.

I'll answer those I can, but at least it will give you all a repository for your thoughts.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

You've probably received  requests for this loco before, but I will  mention it anyway.

I would love someone, preferably your company, to do a model in OO scale of a Western Region Class 16XX  0-6-0  pannier tank

They would be great for WR branch line layouts and also managed to reach Scotland !!

My main reason for this request is that I lived in Burry Port from 1960-1966 and saw these locos every day until the end of steam. 

Hope you will consider this loco , as it is the only one of two pannier types not produced in RTR now ( post 1948 )

Martin

Dave... An N scale Class 90 using a Kickstarter.

Not picking on this request in particular, but those who want Kickstarter to solve the problem of their must have loco not being available in N (or any other scale) may want to consider helping out to make the existing attempt a success, otherwise it may discourage someone from attempting your personal wish.

I am not saying that you need to go out and buy a model that doesn't interest you, but help get the word out to anyone who would be interesting in a Streamlined Great Western Railcar and make the first Kickstarter attempt a success to encourage further Kickstarter projects:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/800415755/n-gauge-streamlined-great-western-railway-railcar

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89615-n-gauge-streamlined-great-western-railcar-kickstarter/

Remember, successful Kickstarter projects primarily rely on word of mouth to spread the news of the project given they don't have advertising budgets.

[edited to add the following]

Should also mention that the other crowd-funded model could also likely use help spreading the news, the OO Class 71:

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/page/74/DJ_Models_Class_71_Project

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88264-oo-gauge-class-71-electro-locomotive/

Edited by Gerald Henriksen

• RMweb Gold

Who runs the the kick starter. I understand roughly how it works. As in the idea is put out and we put the money in when the targets are hit the work is carried out. But is the idea Davids or can someone else come with the idea then go to David and say build this. Or who ever be it Hornby, Bachmann etc in which case who owns the master's

Who runs the the kick starter. I understand roughly how it works. As in the idea is put out and we put the money in when the targets are hit the work is carried out. But is the idea Davids or can someone else come with the idea then go to David and say build this. Or who ever be it Hornby, Bachmann etc in which case who owns the master's

The Kickstarter is run by whoever decides to attempt the project.

In the case of the N scale Streamlined Great Western Railcar that would be Matthew Pinto, as made clear on the Kickstarter page.

The basics of the process are as follows.

Someone decides they want to attempt to get a model made of a prototype (and perhaps more importantly decides they are willing to put the time and effort into doing it - make no mistake a successful Kickstarter rarely just happens but instead you are going to have to do a lot of work to promote the project so that you can achieve the fundraising goal you need).

With a basic idea of what you want to do - is it a simple model or do you need to produce variations (increase cost) in detail, how many paint schemes, etc. - you then need to approach a company who will work with you to produce the model and get an idea of the cost (and conditions) so you can decide how much you need to raise (and how to split it up based on number of models/price per model).

Obviously the more "free" work you can do the less the model will cost, though the options here are likely limited given the person doing this won't have experience in model making.  The biggest opportunity for the person running this will be in the running around to do research - getting drawings, prototype photos, etc.

As for who owns the masters, etc. after the Kickstarter run is done that depends on what the person running it negotiates with the company chosen to produce the model.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your reply Gerald. Its a lot more open and down to the individuals on how it works best for them Then I thought it was. I wish the ones already going success for the future

Edited by farren

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Continuing the wagon theme Dave would you consider a Bogie Bolster E ?

See post 294 in http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11410-abbotswood-junction/page-12

As Bachmann and Hornby both have visually similar wagons in their range I cant see them taking it up but there are certainly others on here who would support - 20 for us please!

Phil

Continuing the wagon theme Dave would you consider a Bogie Bolster E ?

See post 294 in http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11410-abbotswood-junction/page-12

As Bachmann and Hornby both have visually similar wagons in their range 

I think that will be the problem, people will look at their bolsters and think 'do I need anymore?'

• RMweb Gold

Phil, Lima used to make a Bogie Bolster E, so maybe the tooling is with Hornby. Not a bad model except for the bogies which need to be replaced.

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/

Look under Gallery and Bogie Flat & Well Wagons of what can be done.

Cheers Mark

Those are nice - but I rather think someone else on here has cornered the market in the second hand Lima models - the underframe etches really look superb.

I have a problem however - which project do I do? Too much work for me to build a complete train hence my query to Dave

Kind regards

Phil

I'm full of admiration for your open approach to developing models. So here's my wish list.

I love the small old stuff oozing charisma.

Did the USA tank ever actually get launched as an RTR - it was promised by a magazine a year or so back, I seem to remember ?

Then there are those whimsical little old GER tanks with tall suprised looking cabs, big spectacle windows maybe with a cartoonlike stovepipe chimney - J68 or maybe an Fsomething.

And except for the G2As, pre grouping Crewe never gets a look in. Yet there is nothing more characterful than a Webb loco - what about the Jumbo Hardwicke? No...wait....the CME's own Cornwall inspection saloon!

er...thats it....except....dare I suggest....my own avatar?.....Brunton's Steam Horse   :jester:

dhig

More of a question than a suggestion, Dave, but is there a printing process that would allow randomized numbers on stock?  A major pet-peeve of mine, and likely other modellers, is running block freights with most, if not all of the wagons having the same running number.

I would think, given computers and printers being where they are, we could have a system that prints a sequentially higher number on each unit, until a certain value is reached, where the number resets to the base.  I don't know that it would cost all that much more a unit, either, easily within acceptable margins for both the manufacturer and the final customer.

• Like 1