Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

travelling through Honiton Tunnel last night but I didn't take a picture this time as it was dark.

In my humble experience it's always dark in there ;)

Sorry Nut but that made me laugh ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

I decided to revisit the Norman Soloman Track Building/laying DVD to remind myself of his ballasting methods. 

I'd forgotten how lovely his hand built track is

P

Ahem. You were in close proximity to much-admired examples just the other day. Think triplet set.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ahem. You were in close proximity to much-admired examples just the other day. Think triplet set.

Not the same track-man I don't think, however I'm happy to be corrected.

Incidentally, I did a short course on point building with Mr. S some years ago. It was excellent and I have built quite a lot of EM ones following that. I have one OO point that I also made using wooden sleepers and plastic fittings and I'd like to include it on SOSJ. We shall see.

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We happened to be travelling through Honiton Tunnel last night but I didn't take a picture this time as it was dark.

We arrived at Axminster - having run slowly for a while - to an announcement over the tannoy informing us that there was flooding ahead (a subsequent conversation with the Guard obtained the knowledge that it was Broom Gates again, where it was flooded three years ago) so they would be held there "until further notice".  He was then informed that the line was now closed at Whimple due to flooding there as well so they weren't going back to Exeter either.

The Axe was flooded at Axminster and Weycroft, and all the usual crossing places including Chard Junction, so what should have been an 8 mile trip home took us 30 miles and about an hour and a half through some of the strangest floods I have ever been through - several places were uphill - and in a Fiesta that was not fun.

Yes, the Argyle away V Yeovil was postponed yesterday so I suspect there was quite a lot of rain in the area. Was the Ford Fiesta the 'bus replacement service'?

Sadly I have discovered a flood in my car. I discovered that the Scenic often floods inside when it gets blocked tubes and, of course, to get at the tubes one has to dismantle most of the engine compartment. Pah! I blame the Pecoboo Bullhead global hot air warming discussion/blarny competition for the freaky weather

Phil

Yes, the Argyle away V Yeovil was postponed yesterday so I suspect there was quite a lot of rain in the area.

Down here, just round the corner from the real SJ, we're starting to develop webbed feet.

It's like a re-run of the day I shared a shower with Stubby  .  .  .  .

Yes, the Argyle away V Yeovil was postponed yesterday so I suspect there was quite a lot of rain in the area. Was the Ford Fiesta the 'bus replacement service'?

Sadly I have discovered a flood in my car. I discovered that the Scenic often floods inside when it gets blocked tubes and, of course, to get at the tubes one has to dismantle most of the engine compartment. Pah! I blame the Pecoboo Bullhead global hot air warming discussion/blarny competition for the freaky weather

Phil

No, we drove down to Axminster to get the train to Exeter.

Had a bad feeling as we left Axminster and saw the flooded fields (as you know, the River Axe follows the line for some considerable distance).

I had visions of this happening.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOKVHW3YfA

Edited by cromptonnut

• RMweb Premium

Whilst looking on youtlube at the many films of people dealing with flooded floorwells in Scenics, I see that this 'fault' can also cause the electrics to rot........such fun. Strangely this is one of the best cars I've owned, until now.

Phil 

• RMweb Gold

That's not Volvos - we don't need indicators as we have our own lane on the motorway, right down the middle.

The fastest speed I've ever travelled in a car was in a Volvo but with an ex copper following this thread I won't reveal the speed.

• RMweb Premium

The fastest speed I've ever travelled in a car was in a Volvo but with an ex copper following this thread I won't reveal the speed.

That's interesting as the TO's I worked with in the Sussex Traffic Division used Volvos and they were a tad quick to say the least. I am fairly sure the ARUs used them as well, but not for carrying layouts.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

A clever design feature of my Z4 allowed the soft top motor to drown, leading to an 800 quid bill.

And you was saying what a great car they are or was it down to driver error.  :sarcastic:

That's not Volvos - we don't need indicators as we have our own lane on the motorway, right down the middle.

Surely the outside lane at 60mph along with all those Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Z4 owners.  :laugh:

• RMweb Premium

Good morning. Some modelling news. My Febond has been dispatched....yea.

Some more; a kind friend suggested I take a look at my collection of locomotives to see if I really required all of them. I'm still in recovery from that shock.

They are right of course, especially if I go DCC and want my 'fleet' chipped. Surplus loco sales will pay for basic chips.

Trouble is I did actually make a list of what I have/had and even worked out a basic renumbering programme, (for example, nobody actually needs 4 or 5 Clan Lines. 3 or 4 of those need to have new identities), but I can't find that list.  :mail:

There is also the 'problem' that I have accidentally acquired a 'few' more loco's that have not been recorded on the 'lost list'. Thus I only have a vague idea of what I've actually got; oh dear! :rtfm:  I need to get treatment for this vagueness.

So, off to check the colour of ballast in case I need to spray my foamy bits before the CCE arrives. :dontknow:

Ducky.

• RMweb Gold

Sodding Chipbury? 

Nothing new there.  About 40 odd years ago when Sodbury Tunnel did one of it usual flooding acts my boss had been off working on an emergency timetable and he had clearly had a rather testing time as he - being a  man who never swore - came back into the office, threw his various papers down on his desk and proclaimed very loudly 'Sodding Chipbury Tunnel' to those of us within immediate earshot (and probably loud enough for those listening on the opposite side of Eastbourne Terrace).