SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

To make neat wiring runs from lever frame to points n siggernals ;)

Alexander Graham

Ah, I knew that but I was just testing.................................................. :scratchhead:

Smelly Diseasel has a chip and runs OK; wouldn't say it was magnificent as it has a slight wibble.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

Ah, I knew that but I was just testing.................................................. :scratchhead:

Smelly Diseasel has a chip and runs OK; wouldn't say it was magnificent as it has a sligh wibble.

P

I know a man that can fix it !

post-20303-0-86983400-1532191175.jpg

B.Adder

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having watched his very accomplished Hornsey Broadway at Railex, on which loadsa diesels perform very well, I suspect you are right.

I used his layout (& the 70s Diesel WS) when I was developing My EM layout (now in store sadly). Very inspirational stuff making that rather drab 'blue period' look really interesting.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Having interesting test runs up The Junction this morning. I have been monitoring the current draw using the Cab, as suggested by Bromsgrove Models. I noticed that the Bulleid diesel was slowing briefly at a pair of points fitted with DCC 80s, so I watched the meter reading. The draw of the loco when running generally was 0.60 - 67 amps, however at the point frogs there was a spike draw up to 1.3 amps, twice. There were only three other loco's on tracks (stationary). I'm obviously still not getting enough oomph to drive those DCC80s. I'd better get point motors fitted pronto.

P

• RMweb Premium

Having interesting test runs up The Junction this morning. I have been monitoring the current draw using the Cab, as suggested by Bromsgrove Models. I noticed that the Bulleid diesel was slowing briefly at a pair of points fitted with DCC 80s, so I watched the meter reading. The draw of the loco when running generally was 0.60 - 67 amps, however at the point frogs there was a spike draw up to 1.3 amps, twice. There were only three other loco's on tracks (stationary). I'm obviously still not getting enough oomph to drive those DCC80s. I'd better get point motors fitted pronto.

P

Have you tried actual Tam Valley frog juicers? As I understand it (caveat: I haven't used them at all myself) they are solid-state so they should act faster, and draw less current, than the DCC80s which have a relay inside.

• RMweb Premium

Have you tried actual Tam Valley frog juicers? As I understand it (caveat: I haven't used them at all myself) they are solid-state so they should act faster, and draw less current, than the DCC80s which have a relay inside.

I have two  T.V. Hex Juicers that work fine. The DCC 80s are/were stop gaps until Cobalt Point Motors are fitted. I've not used T.V. single unit Juicers.

Ta

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I have two  T.V. Hex Juicers that work fine. The DCC 80s are/were stop gaps until Cobalt Point Motors are fitted. I've not used T.V. single unit Juicers.

Ta

Phil

Fair enough Phil. I thought you might have been talking about the hand-operated points in the yard.

Ta

Phil

Having used both in the past, following a number of DCC80 failures, I binned the small number I had and went over to using only single or double T.V Hex Frog-Juicers from then on, until I went back to the dark ages and stopped using DCC.

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget the PowerCab isn't meant to provide oodles of power for working every gizmo under the sun, just running a couple of locos.

If you want lots of flashy, clicky, noisy things then you need to upgrade either to the Smart Booster or the Pro Cab - but you knew that.

Edited by ian

• RMweb Gold

I am using and would heartily recommend Cobalt IP Digital Phil. No need for any accessory decoder or separate frog switch- it's all built in. Just 3 wires, dcc plus frog. They're grrrreat like frosties and very good prices from Neil Mr Manx man :)

• RMweb Premium

I am using and would heartily recommend Cobalt IP Digital Phil. No need for any accessory decoder or separate frog switch- it's all built in. Just 3 wires, dcc plus frog. They're grrrreat like frosties and very good prices from Neil Mr Manx man :)

Thanks Colin. I will be using either those or Omegas, the latter because they take a conventional DC power 'in' if that's what you want. I think the IP Digs require a DCC input. I shall have to consider carefully but have 3 Omegas and 1 IPDigs at the moment. I'm saving up for the further lot I require from Mr Manx.

P

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Colin. I will be using either those or Omegas, the latter because they take a conventional DC power 'in' if that's what you want. I think the IP Digs require a DCC input. I shall have to consider carefully but have 3 Omegas and 1 IPDigs at the moment. I'm saving up for the further lot I require from Mr Manx.

P

Hi Phil yes they do take DCC input but obviously that can come from the track or accessory BUS, which i believe you have got.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil yes they do take DCC input but obviously that can come from the track or accessory BUS, which i believe you have got.

I have the Track Bus feeding 3 'Districts'. I don't have an Accessory BUS as such but could 'create' one I suppose (anothet two wires............. :triniti: 

Having read the DCCC Blurb again, I will use Omegas and DC feed(s) and use the one Digital I have (I was given it very kindly by a friend), fed from the Track BUS (the DCC80s will have gone by then) unless I decide otherwise.

I'll be using Booster 5A eventually so all should be OK for power.

P

• RMweb Premium

I have the Track Bus feeding 3 'Districts'. I don't have an Accessory BUS as such but could 'create' one I suppose (anothet two wires............. :triniti:

Having read the DCCC Blurb again, I will use Omegas and DC feed(s) and use the one Digital I have (I was given it very kindly by a friend), fed from the Track BUS (the DCC80s will have gone by then) unless I decide otherwise.

P

Digital IPs can be powered by "normal" DC, They are then controllled manually using two pushbuttons [*] connected PBS-L to PBS-C and PBS-R to PBS-R. (These buttons can also be fitted if the DIP is powered and controlled by DCC as well)

[*] You can connect one pushbutton from PBS-L to PBS-R as a simpler method of control

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Digital IPs can be powered by "normal" DC, They are then controllled manually using two pushbuttons [*] connected PBS-L to PBS-C and PBS-R to PBS-R. (These buttons can also be fitted if the DIP is powered and controlled by DCC as well)

[*] You can connect one pushbutton from PBS-L to PBS-R as a simpler method of control

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Mick I thought that but it states on the blurb that they would be fed by DC with DC layouts. It doesn't make it clear that there can be a DC input when used on a DCC layout, well not to me anyway.

So thanks for that as it can just go in with the Omegas, but will need the PB rather than a Peco Lever Switch.

Could you remind me which terminal on the DIP goes to the frog?

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mick I thought that but it states on the blurb that they would be fed by DC with DC layouts. It doesn't make it clear that there can be a DC input when used on a DCC layout, well not to me anyway.

So thanks for that as it can just go in with the Omegas, but will need the PB rather than a Peco Lever Switch.

Phil

Hi Phil,

You'll need a DPDT changeover switch if using Omegas. (Unless you use a 3 wire (!) split rail supply, in which case you need a SPDT switch)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Cheers,

Mick

What he said.

To be honest ain't got a clue but I don't care as Pig Lane (Weswtern Reigion) was awarded best in show at Lyddrail this weekend. I had to give the judges guide dog five gravy bones as a bribe.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like you acquired the wire from a telephone exchange? Those were the colours we used for jumpers between termination blocks :^)

Tim T

No they were left overs from when I built Hanging Hill, that was few more than two wires.

• RMweb Premium

P

I strongly recommend a separate accessory bus when you get the booster in action.

• RMweb Premium

I strongly recommend a separate accessory bus when you get the booster in action.

Ah that's useful. I have enough wire for another couple of hundred BUSes so no problems................................. :mail:

• RMweb Premium

What he said.

To be honest ain't got a clue but I don't care as Pig Lane (Weswtern Reigion) was awarded best in show at Lyddrail this weekend. I had to give the judges guide dog five gravy bones as a bribe.

How good is that Morty? Excellent result. 

P