SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I live a quiet and sheltered life.

Sounds like a young lady I once came across, she had a sheltered life.

Bus shelters

Old air raid shelters

In fact anywhere she could get shelter for a bit "how's your father" ....

• RMweb Premium

Yes. Whilst it may now seem blindingly obvious in retrospect it took a lot of time and heartache to get there so it would be worth adding a sentence to the instructions advising that if there are problems check the IRJs first and then adequate power at the rail. It might save soemone else the hassle and GM some 'phone calls and returned items.

(Yes, I know, real men don't read the instructions.)

Email sent.....

P

• RMweb Premium

The techie guy at GM is pretty good.

We have sold literally hundreds and hundreds of these DCC80's, and I can only recall having one back as failed.  I knew there would be an answer somewhere as to what was going wrong, but it was one I didn't expect, not being familiar with those controllers - Lenz used at home.

Phil and I disagree a little about the use of that word, or at least where it is used, but won't fall out over it for sure :friends:  - some folk really do need to grow up over there though.

• RMweb Gold

We have sold literally hundreds and hundreds of these DCC80's, and I can only recall having one back as failed.  I knew there would be an answer somewhere as to what was going wrong, but it was one I didn't expect, not being familiar with those controllers - Lenz used at home.

Phil and I disagree a little about the use of that word, or at least where it is used, but won't fall out over it for sure :friends:  - some folk really do need to grow up over there though.

Islanders sticking together, eh ? :)

• RMweb Premium

Bus shelters

Old air raid shelters

Which reminds me "What do some Essex girls use for protection during sex...….?"

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

Bus shelters

Old air raid shelters

I shouldn't comment at all, really, should I?

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Premium

http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/prodigy/DCC80.pdf

Updated Page for DCC 80s. Not because of me, but in recent packs. Note Voltage mentioned.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I forgot to mention that it was cooler today and so I did spend a little time up The Junction. Just to check I have been trying the alternative 13.5V@ 1.5A power source rather than the NCE  one at 13.8V @ 1.8A. It provides nearly 14V in every BUS and at track head, (NCE one provides just over 11.6V.....why?) without blowing things up or setting fire to equipment. Also I decided I would fit my CP6 unit (sort of safety device to protect the Power Cab from nasty shorts or naughty power surges up to certain ampage). For the first time it is seemingly working perfectly.

Now, I have to ask this question. How come about ten days ago The Junction was being a complete ar$£ and now things seem to be working just as they should ? is there some sort of Gremlin that lurks in the trickery that decides occasionally it is time to jump out and cause chaos, or is it a ghost in the machine?

Time I think to pack away some of the 'test train stock' and sort the FY sidings for more or less up and down ops. 

When I visited Finsbury Square last week I was hugely impressed by 31A's simple but very workable 'sequence charts'. I would like to produce something similar. However, I think mine would be more of:

1. trains that could run but not to a timetable, more for watching and photographing as such and how to set them out in the FY for Up and Down working (a sort of posing trains arrangement);

2. trains that will run to a timetable (sequence) and how that will be achieved; a: by having an initial set of trains in the FY to start and b: loco's and stock stored off the layout ('sheds' for loco's and cassettes/storage spurs for stock)  to 'replace' FY trains as the timetable progresses along with altering some stock sets that are already on the tracks (e.g taking a couple of 3 Sets out of a longer train to 'create' locals.

This is going to be fun as it involves careful planning that Gilbert of Peterborough North has advised me on in the past. If ICBA I will produce a plan of some sort. 

I have now got to move away from playing after testing the whole system in every sort of route setting that I can set up and just checking stuff doesn't fall of anywhere at all (big fingers crossed).

Following that some temporary recently adjusted track sections will need to be tacked in place/painted. Then comes a few more point motors to be fitted underboard in the station area (controls for these need sorting temporarily) and those surface mounted  off scene sorted for wiring/switching.

When the CCE was here last he kindly advised on setting up some card formers to indicate the 'topography of the incline area'. That needs doing ASAP.

So, here is a plan. Will I follow that plan? Don't hold yer breath!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant news Phil, glad to hear it's all up and running again.

Will be making a start on the station building very shortly, just starting to sort out supplies and a project plan.

• RMweb Premium

Expect the unexpected, Phil!  That was as diverse an issues as I can ever recall in muddle railway land.  However….

#shipping anecdote warning#  I was on a ship (new) that had a power black out every Friday afternoon.  Several very clever engineers with many stripes about their sleeves tried to work it out, and couldn't.  A rather scruffy and dodgy looking electrician had just joined, and sorted it the first time it happened.  Simples he said, it is always on SHIPS TIME (which varies of course when heading east or west ish), so it's a device connected to the engine control room digital clock - in fact a sneaky French software writer had done it.....scruffy electrician was an early adopter of computers.  He found it in an hour.  Relay tripped one alternator circuit breaker, other overloaded - bang.....dark... Wish it had been me that sorted it, but computers and me are not pals.

• RMweb Gold

Is there some sort of Gremlin that lurks in the trickery that decides occasionally it is time to jump out and cause chaos?

P

Yes.

• RMweb Gold

I was going to say something that is not profound, but I had forgotten what it was.

Oh yes, I've only just noticed that I have exceeded 20,000 posts.

Surely at least a very small percentage of them might have been sensible, although there may have been more than one unintended double-entendre.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So I can come and visit and we can have a play with trains not a multi-meter?

Don't think too hard when planning things.....it never works out right.

Expect the unexpected, Phil!  That was as diverse an issues as I can ever recall in muddle railway land.  However….

#shipping anecdote warning#  I was on a ship (new) that had a power black out every Friday afternoon.  Several very clever engineers with many stripes about their sleeves tried to work it out, and couldn't.  A rather scruffy and dodgy looking electrician had just joined, and sorted it the first time it happened.  Simples he said, it is always on SHIPS TIME (which varies of course when heading east or west ish), so it's a device connected to the engine control room digital clock - in fact a sneaky French software writer had done it.....scruffy electrician was an early adopter of computers.  He found it in an hour.  Relay tripped one alternator circuit breaker, other overloaded - bang.....dark... Wish it had been me that sorted it, but computers and me are not pals.

It use to be a thing back in the bad days when the company "Main Frame " computer would drop dead and in would come the "programmer consultant" and spend a week and charge a fortune to sort out the problem. When he had set the thing up it was set to breakdown at a certain time on a certain date all he had to do was reset it. Two minutes work. My uncle use to be shipped by his company all over the world, after he discovered what a programmer had done, to repair their computers and take this early form of virus out. I remember him telling me about it, this would have been the early 70s.