SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I find that if I do not treble check the orientation of sides and UF and the solebars on the Comet diagrams and the etches and compare those to actual pictures, I can get confused, especially if there are different end layouts and the sides are not symmetrical. I have on occasion set up the solebars drilled for door steps and then they are not in the correct places.....doh!   You have to remember that on the Comet diagrams the UF is shown bottom up whereas the roof and interior are shown as is. Straight forward isn't it but not if you are a duck brain.

I mark up the parts and here is the basic floor pan bent up and fettled to fit.

post-2326-0-83205600-1499448705_thumb.jpg

Tea time.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

. Comet sides may be a tad long (about 0.5mm?) for Baccy Conversions.

Conversely, Baccy Bulleids are a good [or bad?] 2mm short of scale length [grrr].

Good to see you building again, Phil

Chris

Phil,

I believe the extended coach sides are actually slightly deeper over about half the length of the buffet coach - this is shown in the MRC plans book, but not represented on the Comet sides.

I used scrap brass and solder to fill.

You are making a much more solid job of yours than mine - can't solder big bits of brass to save my life!

Keep up the good work.

Tony

post-13679-0-15993200-1499497772_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

I believe the extended coach sides are actually slightly deeper over about half the length of the buffet coach - this is shown in the MRC plans book, but not represented on the Comet sides.

You are making a much more solid job of yours than mine - can't solder big bits of brass to save my life!

Keep up the good work.

Tony

Ah, but yours is finished, looking really good indeed and it is on a layout that looks finished and works! Thanks for the tip. I'll have a close look at MR King's drawings and the proto photo.

Can I ask what door grabs you used Tony?

Philth

Conversely, Baccy Bulleids are a good [or bad?] 2mm short of scale length [grrr].

Good to see you building again, Phil

Chris

Thanks Chris. I've been waiting for upgraded Bulleids (as have many others) for yonks. 

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

All very impressive Capn Duck- currently in Essex for son's wedding so nowt of interest to see here !

What was that again.   :jester:

I. Stutter

Phil

Door grabs are either MJT BR type or Southern Pride, whichever fit better! I put them on after the sides have been painted and touch in the bases so they don't stand out so much (and you cant see the glue!)

What do you intend for the seats?

I have completed three Tavern Car sets using the Hatchette coaches as a base (Bachmann Mk1's would be as good, but much more expensive) as I too found the Bachmann Bulleids a bit on the short side. One advantage of both the former is that they have the close coupling mechanism which means you can get the coach rake closely coupled on the straights whilst still being able to negotiate train set curves. To my mind fixed hooks and bars with the coaches a scale 20' apart and gaps between the corridor connections spoils all the hard work on the rest of the coach.

I look forward to watching the rest of the build - good luck.

• RMweb Gold

Only slightly off-topic, but I have recently acquired a couple of cars marked "Restaurant". 

post-4295-0-64386900-1499503821_thumb.jpg

That one is by Derek Lawrence, painted by Larry Goddard.

This one, also by Lawrence, is apparently painted to the exact same high standard, but does not bear the Master's signature. It also has a bogus vehicle number, which may just be why! perhaps LG met the client's wishes, but was not prepared to sign something that was "wrong", if still a thing of beauty!

post-4295-0-23348200-1499504017_thumb.jpg

I acquired them on ebay, they are in perfect nick - and cost me just £60 each! Bargain or wot?

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Only slightly off-topic, but I have recently acquired a couple of cars marked "Restaurant". 

attachicon.gifIMG_0025.JPG

This one, also by Lawrence, is apparently painted to the exact same high standard, but does not bear the Master's signature. It also has a bogus vehicle number, which may just be why! perhaps LG met the client's wishes, but was not prepared to sign something that was "wrong", if still a thing of beauty!

attachicon.gifIMG_0026.JPG

I acquired them on ebay, they are in perfect nick - and cost me just £60 each! Bargain or wot?

Tasty, especially at that price. I like the tables/lamps. Any idea what the origin of the bits is Dudds? Phoenix by the look of them.

First one is D2507 by the look of it and looks just about right according to King, apart from the under frame parts.

7891 did exist and was a Restaurant  Kitchen 3rd D2660. (Set 300 according to King) Bournmouth sets originally. This doesn't look like a D2660 though does it? The Kitchen side orientation is incorrect and the detail looks wrong (the small windows one side only and not this side...looks nothing like the diagram P145 of King). Should only have 4 large diners' windows etc. If it was painted by Larry no wonder he didn't want it identified! How strange.

How strange.

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifIMG_0025.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0026.JPG

Certainly a bargain Lawrence/Goddard coaches are normally about £200-£250.

Nice to see your thread on the move again Duckman I like the coach shame it's green . :good:

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

Keep up the good work.

Tony

Yup. One side only, under the corridor. There appears to be a pipe run to equipment boxes that probably needed access. No buffers that end either. post-2326-0-25637200-1499443065_thumb.jp

Thanks to your tip I have now taken 0.5mm off the left side bottom edge, end to middle 'step recess'. Not visible here as this is not the 'modified side.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Tasty, especially at that price. I like the tables/lamps. Any idea what the origin of the bits is Dudds? Phoenix by the look of them.

First one is D2507 by the look of it and looks just about right according to King, apart from the under frame parts.

7891 did exist and was a Restaurant  Kitchen 3rd D2660. (Set 300 according to King) Bournmouth sets originally. This doesn't look like a D2660 though does it? The Kitchen side orientation is incorrect and the detail looks wrong (the small windows one side only and not this side...looks nothing like the diagram P145 of King). Should only have 4 large diners' windows etc. If it was painted by Larry no wonder he didn't want it identified! How strange.

How strange.

Philth

Quite so, Phil. The vehicle, a little sleuthing tells me, is a very fine model of the restaurant car from a 4-Res EMU! It has all the Maunsell cues and window spacing is exactly right. Dia 2571 refers and they were classified TKDTh, Trailer Kitchen Diner Third. They were built by BRCW for the 1937 opening of the electrified service on the Portsmouth Direct.

Both models are, as you suggest, BSL/Phoenix kits, professionally assembled. In that they are at least 30 years old, they are of their time, with fixed buffers, and white-metal bogies that are grumpy runners compared with the smooth plastic things we get now. They go very well with the 5-set of Bulleids, bearing the same revered signatures, that I obtained from the same seller a few weeks ago. They cost me a whacking £80 each!

• RMweb Premium

Quite so, Phil. The vehicle, a little sleuthing tells me, is a very fine model of the restaurant car from a 4-Res EMU! It has all the Maunsell cues and window spacing is exactly right. Dia 2571 refers and they were classified TKDTh, Trailer Kitchen Diner Third. They were built by BRCW for the 1937 opening of the electrified service on the Portsmouth Direct.

Both models are, as you suggest, BSL/Phoenix kits, professionally assembled. In that they are at least 30 years old, they are of their time, with fixed buffers, and white-metal bogies that are grumpy runners compared with the smooth plastic things we get now. They go very well with the 5-set of Bulleids, bearing the same revered signatures, that I obtained from the same seller a few weeks ago. They cost me a whacking £80 each!

Wow. No pics of the EMU stuff in my King so that's interesting info. Wonder why there is a 'wrong number'? Maybe the  actual Diagram sides required were not available back then? They probably have a good story those coaches.

ATB

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Wow. No pics of the EMU stuff in my King so thats' interesting info. Wonder why there is a 'wrong number'? Maybe the  actual Disgram sides required were not avilable back then? They probably have a good story those coaches.

ATB

Phil

I had bought David Brown's two-part Southern Electric story last year. Wasn't thrilled, TBH, but they do have some useful data that even Moody didn't have space for back in the '60s when his succession of updated books appeared. The Brown book has a photo of the very type of vehicle (there were 19 copies) at Havant. Inasmuch as I saw all the Res, Buf and Cor sets in my gricing days (my mother was slightly embarrassed by my euphoria when I copped my last Buf, 3084, at Bognor Regis in 1962!) the vehicle means something, and will be allowed to run in my bit of Devon in France. Only I will know the wicked truth! And of course catering vehicles seldom got further west than Exeter Central. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Typical. Broke my penultimate 0.5mm bit yesterday evening and fitted the last one I can find. Tried it today and it is duff (no 'tip'). So I go to order 5 more and 5 x 0.4mms .....almost £4.50 each  ...... blimey. Also my Antex Station 50W soldering iron died this week; replacement = £56. I must have fallen asleep and woken up after 50 years! Ouch.

Done a bit of faffing with the coach but having a day off.......sorry. have enjoyed reading my King SR Coaches book though (again).

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice coaches, guys!  I hope you Southern types appreciate how lucky you are with your plain green (says he having spent several hours today faffing around with lining transfers for blood & custard!)!

• RMweb Premium

Nice coaches, guys!  I hope you Southern types appreciate how lucky you are with your plain green (says he having spent several hours today faffing around with lining transfers for blood & custard!)!

Ah, rumbled! However, trying to find a decent green in cans is very tricky (honestly). Larry G will be having a laugh as he seems to get his coaches sorted so easily, even green ones in the past.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Are they Gold Plated? Try Chronos. I'll be in touch tomorrow about Antex

Ta Stephen. Eileens' Emporium stock. Not heard of Chronos before....thanks. Have ordered some from them to try out. They are 1/7th the price.....how can that be?

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Phil,

Keep up the good work.

Tony

Why the frosted windows on one end? 

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Typical. Broke my penultimate 0.5mm bit yesterday evening and fitted the last one I can find. Tried it today and it is duff (no 'tip'). So I go to order 5 more and 5 x 0.4mms .....almost £4.50 each  ...... blimey. Also my Antex Station 50W soldering iron died this week; replacement = £56. I must have fallen asleep and woken up after 50 years! Ouch.

Done a bit of faffing with the coach but having a day off.......sorry. have enjoyed reading my King SR Coaches book though (again).

Phil

If I could see which end was pointed, I could sharpen it, but I can't these days. We could have dun a high speed exchange on Monday, but I wouldn't have been able to return it.