SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

I'm sure there are other Sulleids that could have nicknames and the only other Pacific with a slightly dodgy name that makes me snigger is an ER A2 Pacific, Trimbush. :whistle:

B.R.A. Zilian.

For years I wanted  a Trimbush, even bought a set of Kings Cross plates for a future conversion, but then a couple of years ago Bachmann produced it as an R-T-R at a starting price of £150.00. Even Ebay done;t produce them cheaper, so, having already got 6 Peppercorns in my stable I decided that my bush must remain untrimmed

At least for now....

• RMweb Premium

Stand by yer beds, my new (and very expensive for some reason) drill bits are in the post, so tomorrow could be a good day. It is forecast to pi## down all day tomorrow so I'll get the track and points ready for Friday week and get on with the bogies for my Tavern. Pity I've forgotten the 'modification wiring' for the points.....doh! I shall have to look at that 'method' again this evening; serves me right for having such a long playtime since I last did any. It's only to get them ready for Forg Juicers or Point Motors, nowt complicated.

Willy Wireit

Edit as I was reminded by the CCE that the track gang are arriving on 21st, not the 14th......silly Billy I am.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That was fun........I saw this hand waving from the good old droplight and thought, the train isn't ready to depart yet and then realised that the handsome mush on the end of it was a janner in full regalia. Wasn't expecting an HST to be the train or for it to be stopping. I had positioned myself south of the Platform end and had to waddle back at high speed!!

Pity it wasn't an A1 that then accelerated away...................or even a Sulleid Bacific on loan to Virgin East Coast or whatever they are called these days.

Good to see you Snoops. take care.

Philth

Mr Duck,

It was great to see you again, even if it was for only a few moments. I think we were both surprised that it was a tram and a stopper as well. It rode a lot better than the east Midlands one I have just alighted from.

I wish you well and look forward to your updates on a small East Devon, branch line junction. Complete with cans of spiced ham.

SS

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

So a new Antex soldering iron is in the house. I also decided to get and try another 'Station'  (CSI Premier75W Digital Temperature Controlled Solder Station with 75W Soldering IronCSI PREMIER75W1£46.99Subtotal£46.99Shipping & Handling£5.99Tax£10.60 Grand Total£63.58...just a few quid more than the Antex iron f.f.s. :scared:

This means I can have two ready when I get back to doing my loco kit builds (WM and Brass) and also a separate iron for the WM bits for coaches. Saves changing bits and prevents me just being an arse and not bothering to change the bits, just wipe them on the wet sponge ...... bad practice.....naughty boy soldering.  :beee:

First I show what I was mumbling about getting the step support positions correct for the recesses in the coach sides; the other side is also correct. Wire goes in these holes in the solebar and then I either solder brass steps fettled from scrap etch or make some from Plasticard and stick them on.

post-2326-0-12789200-1499793900_thumb.jpg

Next is just a view of the underside of the floor pan in case anyone hasn't seen that part of a build before. V hangers soldered in place; whte metal bits get soldered on later. Floor held in place as per Comet style with two small bolts, one at each end.

I have added a couple of thin reinforcing strips to stop the floor deforming as it does once the Trusses are cut and then bent/soldered in place.

Door Bumper holes drilled ready. Must check the prototype pics though to assess the 'look' of these.

post-2326-0-51564200-1499794050_thumb.jpg

No more as there a couple of tennis players screaming their way through a great match on Centre Court. Great game, great win and I am in admiration of the discipline of Konta compared to Andy M who has such problems with his serve at the moment.

Philth :sclerosis:

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 14

I find that if I do not treble check the orientation of sides and UF and the solebars on the Comet diagrams and the etches and compare those to actual pictures, I can get confused, especially if there are different end layouts and the sides are not symmetrical. I have on occasion set up the solebars drilled for door steps and then they are not in the correct places.....doh!   You have to remember that on the Comet diagrams the UF is shown bottom up whereas the roof and interior are shown as is. Straight forward isn't it but not if you are a duck brain.

I mark up the parts and here is the basic floor pan bent up and fettled to fit.

attachicon.gifImg_0651.jpg

Tea time.

Phil

Phil

Making great progress with the buffet coach - wish I had your soldering skills!

Not sure what period your are modelling the coach but just to note that the long underfloor gas cylinder was replaced with propane gas bottle boxes around the late 50's/early 60's. Don't have any photos to publish but a trawl of the internet may help. Guess who only found out having made the cylinder first!

Info on coach underframes seems to be very difficult to obtain, especially for restaurant/kitchen cars which frequently changed over time. A lot of pictures are in the platform or the underframe is in shadow.... grrr! 

Regards

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Phil

Making great progress with the buffet coach - wish I had your soldering skills!

Not sure what period your are modelling the coach but just to note that the long underfloor gas cylinder was replaced with propane gas bottle boxes around the late 50's/early 60's. Don't have any photos to publish but a trawl of the internet may help. Guess who only found out having made the cylinder first!

Info on coach underframes seems to be very difficult to obtain, especially for restaurant/kitchen cars which frequently changed over time. A lot of pictures are in the platform or the underframe is in shadow.... grrr! 

Regards

Tony

Now there's a details tip I had not quite picked up on from my research. probably have not read the relevant section(s) carefully enough. Many thanks. Mine is for 1958/9 - 64ish so I can go with the propane boxes thanks very much indeed..

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments. I have to tell you all that it really does not take a lot of time to get these soldering skills, especially if you have the late Geoff Brewin to start you off 5 or 6 years ago and then a certain Mr Tony Wright as a 'local' Tutor on occasion!

What I can't do very well is the final detailing such as water filler pipes and I can't do final paint jobs for toffee even with Halfords spray cans and even with just the easy BR SR Green. I'm going to have to overcome those little hurdles in the very near future.  

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just in case all this soldering is getting too much for you Phil, make yourself a brew, sit back and pop this on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzLf_TZjIJo

Oh yummy. Had not realised how noticeable  from platform level the Giesel (chimney) was on 34064. Also, where the hell am I going to get smoke units to create that pile of cloud from front of chimney  and then all over the place on the 'Rebuilds', then there is that sound and that whistle...................goose bumps.

Thanks Smiffy.

Philth 

G'day Phil,

A bit more Southern Railway, with a twist for you.

I went for a potter around the West Oz Railway Museum this afternoon.

I spotted this little gem of a sign hiding in the corner.

post-23233-0-07550900-1499849929.jpg

It's a Great Southern Railway sign.

The GSR was built in the late 1800's from  Albany on the Sth Coast, joining the Govt. Line at Beverely about 100km S/E Perth. To bring sheep, wool and grain etc. South to Albany Port and imports from the Mother country the other way !

It was taken over by the Govt Railways in the 1890's and is still in operation today, mainly for Grain.

Cheers Ted

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Pah! Following Tony's tips re depth of sides and gas tank replacement I decided to do some proper checking in my KIng. When you know, the sides are certainly deeper in parts as Tony says; deeper than I thought from my first check. The King diagrams show this when studied with care.

The wobbly red mark is where the side depth should actually cover the solebar and the gold mark is where the side should reveal the solebar (similar arrangement on the opposite side AFAICT).

post-2326-0-76268100-1499935895_thumb.jpg

lines show approx position of 'missing hinges'.....similar situation on the other side doors.

I can't see what the arrangement is for the 1959 gas supply replacement containers either. Then I realised I'd missed the hinges (4 sets) on the right hand sides of the assymetrical double doors. Complete ar$e. 

So I decided to mark the new hinge positions and drill the holes as well as the door bumper holes. They will be a bit fiddly to fit now but, hey ho.

Then I soldered up the bogies frames, fitted wheels and tested the coach for running on the layout. That was ok but the bogie clearance with the floor needs a little adjustment. I use thin plasticard on the floor for the bogies to 'rub' on, thus increasing the wheel clearnace by a few thou. I'll try to show that later. Then I checked the end detailing and the Comet ends are generic and identical. I fettled one end to remove the Alarm Detail and drilled holes for the filler pipes and adjusted the other end casting as well, drilling the Alarm gear holes and those for filler pipes which this coach has on both ends I discover! I remove all but the bottom two steps on most of my Bulleids as well, as per prototype circa early 60s.

Remembering I had a couple of Southern Pride plastic Bulleid roofs in one of my boxes of useful bits, I dug one out to see whether I might use that instead of the Comet, generic aluminium product that is not quite the correct profile.  Having done that I retired to sleepyland and I have not looked at the thing this morning ....... yet!

I have decided that I can live with the sides not being quite the correct depth (or can I?) as I can't trust myself to solder on a strip without it looking carp. 

Other things can get done but maybe not today as I've run out of enthusiasm already!! However I did also find the S pride interior parts for the coach (I shall add those to the basic Comet set).

Philth.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5

How far short of the correct depth are they Phil ?

Would they pass the 3 ft test and would a blind git like me know the difference when I finally come and visit ?

At least you are modelling again, I'm just using my newly rediscovered Mojo to wander around the country gawking at stuff :D

Cheers Ted

Edited by The Blue Streak

• RMweb Premium

How far short of the correct depth are they Phil ?  About 1.5mm

Would they pass the 3 ft test and would a blind git like me know the difference when I finally come and visit ? Yes and probably no!!!!

At least you are modelling again, I'm just using my newly rediscovered Mojo to wander around the country gawking at stuff :D   Great idea!!

Cheers Ted

• RMweb Premium

Update with no pics.

Door bumpers fitted and filed to a 'suitable length'. W/M Bogie sides glued on (not bolstersprings, yet).

However........I then noticed I had fitted the outer V hangers inside the truss rods....incorrect! Who's a silly Billy, but easy to rectify..........

So, now to have a look at the S Pride site to see if they have any underframe fittings suitable for this coach. I might have a look at Bill Bedford's site too just to check on Bulleid sides.

ΚΑΛΗΝΥΧΤΑ

Edited by Mallard60022