SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Don't call Mike Shirley! 

SOSJ was/is on the main line that took the sensible way to Exeter :onthequiet: . The other route(s) were far too wiggly :beee: and went to the wrong coast. :mail: .

So, enough of that quipping. The D2668 is on the work-table but SWMBO has nicked the Camera so you will have to take my word for it.

Oh, I have accidentally purchased another S15 (DCC Ready) as I CBA to rebrand an existing one to an 'early crest' loco. Ordered from Collet's Models Exmouth as well so quite appropriate and no one should be offended. 

I shall now go and start work.

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I am using a Diver's Suit as that is more comfortable in this hot weather, but I do appreciate your advice. So far I've looked at a relevant book with decent diagrams of the D2668 and thus marked and drilled the hinge holes. Also cleaned up the sides with the fibre pen. Think I need a new pack of fibre things. Too hot to solder at the moment and so I'm back here.

I also went to the local shop where they had dark choc Bounty Bars just out of date @ 5 for £1. Couldn't resist that.

Philth.

• RMweb Premium

Due through at 12.25 platform 3a, the train is due to stop, I didn't know that. I am probably a Richard Head.

That's Donny P 3A. Retford is about 12 minutes south and P 1 is on the left as you whizz through at 120mph. I shall attempt to be there at the south end.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

That's Donny P 3A. Retford is about 12 minutes south and P 1 is on the left as you whizz through at 120mph. I shall attempt to be there at the south end.

Phil

Is that on the up or down side? I will be in one of the front coaches, with a yellow stripe.

<< SOSJ was/is on the main line that took the sensible way to Exeter :onthequiet: . The other route(s) were far too wiggly :beee: and went to the wrong coast. :mail: .>>

In all our trips to the Capital in the halcyon days of 'real' train travel, it was always the 10AM off Friary arriving sometimes at Waterloo or invariably Surbiton where resided relatives, for a cheap holiday!  I was a bit young although remember most of the route even today but can never remember if there ever was a restaurant car in the train.  Mother probably made a pasty!  Never did ride the 'wiggly' route in those days.

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

<< SOSJ was/is on the main line that took the sensible way to Exeter :onthequiet: . The other route(s) were far too wiggly :beee: and went to the wrong coast. :mail: .>>

In all our trips to the Capital in the halcyon days of 'real' train travel, it was always the 10AM off Friary arriving sometimes at Waterloo or invariably Surbiton where resided relatives, for a cheap holiday!  I was a bit young although remember most of the route even today but can never remember if there ever was a restaurant car in the train.  Mother probably made a pasty!  Never did ride the 'wiggly' route in those days.

Brian.

...apart from the bits through Plymuff and Execeter.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Is that on the up or down side? I will be in one of the front coaches, with a yellow stripe.

Up side (left if facing front, right if back to front); you will pass a small school on the up side, pass under Babworth Road Bridge, pass the old Goods Shed on the up side, under a Footbridge and then two seconds later thunder through the Station at high speed (probably).

I shall stand (if I am there) at the south end trying to look intelligent by wearing a blue cap and not flapping my wings.

have a good trip.

Philth 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And, of course, there is the college on the down side (right hand side if travelling up to London). that is quite noticeable.

Ducks are well catered for with the Chesterfield Canal to the north just as you enter Retford and the River Idle just south of the station.

Edited by Richard E

• RMweb Premium

And, of course, there is the college on the down side (right hand side if travelling up to London). that is quite noticeable.

Ducks are well catered for with the Chesterfield Canal to the north just as you enter Retford and the River Idle just south of the station.

Retford Oaks Acadamy and St. Gile's School?

Philth

• RMweb Premium

OK I'm going to bore you all with some pics of this D2668 build as:

1. It will make me get on with it, and

2. There are some people that have not yet braved the smell of burning flesh or falling knives and may pick up some useful (?) tips on bodging a Comet Coach.

So:

post-2326-0-74498800-1499430707_thumb.jpg

the lovely etched sides are a tad vulnerable with the door half etches so I have slapped some solder on the inside to 'strengthen' them. Spot the naughty step Stanley Knife (blade safely retracted) :scared:

post-2326-0-58407000-1499430729_thumb.jpg

I use Frogmore hinges.....

post-2326-0-16391900-1499430748_thumb.jpg

Will IBA to do the door bumpers..........? 

Anyway that's exhaustred me so I'm off to the Nature Reserve for a slice of Choccy Nut Pie (GF) before the rain comes.

Ar$e 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

It's great to see that you are feeling up to some modelling again Phil. I hope you enjoy it and go from strength to strength.

Also interested in your build as I have sides in stock to convert a bacchy bullied to a restaurant car.

S. Eriousforonce

• RMweb Gold

You appear to have been taking lessons from an ex orange-army capn wot I know of?

Al.

I am not (or might be) in a position to confirm or deny that the aforementioned (or subsequently mentioned) gentleman (or other) may or may not have taken (or not taken) lessons from this (or another) Captain (or other rank) in the art (or science) of confirming or denying the existence or non-existence of certain fundamental (or non-fundamental) truths (or untruths) as seen (or completely ignored) by the aforementioned (or not mentioned at all) personage thus indicated.

Actually he got a CSE in it.

• RMweb Premium

It's great to see that you are feeling up to some modelling again Phil. I hope you enjoy it and go from strength to strength.

Also interested in your build as I have sides in stock to convert a bacchy bullied to a restaurant car.

S. Eriousforonce

Great conversion. Comet sides may be a tad long (about 0.5mm?) for Baccy Conversions. Are yours Bedfords or Comets? I think Bill's sides are just the right length for conversions? had you thought of using Southern Pride parts with your sides to save a coach from hacking?

Thanks

Phil

• RMweb Premium

....and now......

I CBA to do these in any order so:

shows space at ends where floor pan fits (I have used quite a deep one here as I sometimes don't get the depth correct and the coach sits a little high);

shows that on this coach with extended side panels, the end space looks very deep;

where the nut job goes;

where my bracing span fits to give the sides some security during handling;

how the brass ends get soldered to the sides (doesn't show my mitre block/mini clamp method)....I always line up the rebate on the end with the top of the side (except on Gresleys!!!!!) - don't ask;

pics from Mr King's wonderful book showing the D2668 and the Restaurant Open Composite, (to come next?)

post-2326-0-07408800-1499442948_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-15684000-1499442967_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-22545600-1499442982_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-61810400-1499442998_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-02550200-1499443035_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-25637200-1499443065_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-94919800-1499443133_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-08268200-1499443150_thumb.jpg

I should have said that my OCD makes me clean the thing up after most soldering sessions and certainly and final session in the day. Using 'cream' flux leaves a lot of crud.

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I've just noticed thgat I need to solder fill the door handle hole I stupidly drilled out in the door in this picture (nearest door in the second King picture)

post-2326-0-01302100-1499444493_thumb.jpg

Looks like a door banger on the prototype though so maybe I don't need to fill it? There will be a handle on the inside for Staff only I suppose?

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Great conversion. Comet sides may be a tad long (about 0.5mm?) for Baccy Conversions. Are yours Bedfords or Comets? I think Bill's sides are just the right length for conversions? had you thought of using Southern Pride parts with your sides to save a coach from hacking?

Thanks

Phil

Mine are Bedfords Phil. I will probably compare the drawings with the underframe i've got and make any major adaptations. I'll be generally happy with a decent representation rather than an exact replica. What SP bits would you recommend (or shall i be patient and wait till you get to the relevant part of your build?)

Thanks mate.

A.P.Prentice

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mine are Bedfords Phil. I will probably compare the drawings with the underframe i've got and make any major adaptations. I'll be generally happy with a decent representation rather than an exact replica. What SP bits would you recommend (or shall i be patient and wait till you get to the relevant part of your build?)

Thanks mate.

A.P.Prentice

I was thinking that you get SP kit bits without sides but I have not tried that yet. IIRC it would be ends and floor pan and a roof. I'd still use Comet undergubbins and glue those on after knocking them up, however I think SP will do a set of relevant under bits as well as a nice interior kit?

Actually it is far easier to hack a Baccy! I wouldn't wait for mne to do anything......my history of NOT finishing things is well known.

Phil

• Like 1