SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Nice pear.

Been there, said that.

Early 1976. Grove Park carriage-service-women's lobby, London SE. About 16.45, when the booked day for the 20 or so assembled ladies finished at 1700. Industrial relations with them were at a low ebb, not least due to Fred, my boss, not being the most tactful of men. He was at the back of the lobby when he heard me say "My word, you've got a nice pair!" and spun round to see Mrs Winifred Hand tucking into a very juicy pear. Much amusement by the ladies. He left the industry soon after.  

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Been there, said that.

Early 1976. Grove Park carriage-service-women's lobby, London SE. About 16.45, when the booked day for the 20 or so assembled ladies finished at 1700. Industrial relations with them were at a low ebb, not least due to Fred, my boss, not being the most tactful of men. He was at the back of the lobby when he heard me say "My word, you've got a nice pair!" and spun round to see Mrs Winifred Hand tucking into a very juicy pear. Much amusement by the ladies. He left the industry soon after.  

Carriage cleaners' lobbies could be fearsome places, especially on night shift.

• RMweb Premium

Apple picking in Horrocksford?

attachicon.gifa.jpg

Si Derpress.

Very appealing*.

Now, for something completely different as the saying went.

One of the great joys of this hobby is the support and co-operation one often gets from fellow enthusiasts. On here it can be quite anarchic*. Elsehwere it can be totally practical and motivating. So I need to share this.

Some time ago I was looking to modify a SR Tavern/Restaurant Car kit and I discovered I needed underframe boxes to contain batteries for the era I was/am modelling. Someone kindly mentioned  Mike Radford  (from  MARC Models and Electrifying Trains) and the possibility of obtaining some parts from him and his colleague. I have to say that Mike has negotiated the provision of the items I require over the weeks and today they arrived.   This is service beyond the call of duty so to speak. Thank you Mike.

Links to: http://www.marcmodels.co.uk/        http://electrifyingtrains.co.uk/

*By the way, see what I did there.

So, along with some small intems from Hereford Model Shop to help progress the planning of the two footbridges and a mail to Hornby ref the duff Bulleid Pacific gears, I am now about ready to get back to action.

Philthy 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

@Clive - deeply existential

The only problem with such a train of thought is that before long it leads you on to wonder about the reason for everything, what's it all about, Zen and the art of motorcycle mechanics and so on.

If you really get bored you can start comparing the merits of Gresley and Stanier...

But then what's the point? I mean it's not as if any of it really matters

• Like 3

A sprat to catch some very large mackerel on some threads!

But not here in the Sunny South West home of Maunsell and Bulleid

But hang on, didn't I read somewhere that Bulleid was a pupil of the great H N Gresley? Doesn't;t that mean that SOSJ is a distant cousin of an LNER best practice?

(Scurries for cover from the inevitable brickbats...)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But not here in the Sunny South West home of Maunsell and Bulleid

But hang on, didn't I read somewhere that Bulleid was a pupil of the great H N Gresley? Doesn't;t that mean that SOSJ is a distant cousin of an LNER best practice?

(Scurries for cover from the inevitable brickbats...)

Careful Smithy you are treading on soft ground, whatever you do is don't mention the words Spam Tins or those brickbats will be heading your way.  :mosking:

• Like 1

As one of those poor unfortunates who was sent off to boarding school at the tender age of 10 I have many abiding memories of my incarceration  education there. One of the few good ones was Wednesday morning breakfast which was Spam Fritters and toast

All I need to bring back the lovely warm taste of those oily. yet slightly crunchy, delicacies is the sight of this in our local supermarket...

post-10395-0-21768700-1505902754.jpg

I try not to go there too often, as apparently Spam is no longer considered good for you.

Now what''s controversial about that?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

As one of those poor unfortunates who was sent off to boarding school at the tender age of 10 I have many abiding memories of my incarceration  education there. One of the few good ones was Wednesday morning breakfast which was Spam Fritters and toast

All I need to bring back the lovely warm taste of those oily. yet slightly crunchy, delicacies is the sight of this in our local supermarket...

attachicon.gifspam.jpg

I try not to go there too often, as apparently Spam is no longer considered good for you.

Now what''s controversial about that?

Spam Fritters.......oh to have my deep fat fryer 

see the Kings Moreton thread.

• RMweb Premium

@Clive - deeply existential

The only problem with such a train of thought is that before long it leads you on to wonder about the reason for everything, what's it all about, Zen and the art of motorcycle mechanics and so on.

If you really get bored you can start comparing the merits of Gresley and Stanier...

But then what's the point? I mean it's not as if any of it really matters

Three way asymmetric? 42.

A&$£

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That was a cruel link to send to a man who is on a carb- free diet!

Is that one of those Pallyhole diets then? I tried giving up almost all Carbs once and it was as if I was coming off some sort of drug or becoming tea total. It is called Carb Flu.

I am told that certain GWR loco's were fitted with a Carb Flu to improve their exhaust gas emissions :nono:  :mail:  :triniti:  :crazy:  :devil:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is that one of those Pallyhole diets then? I tried giving up almost all Carbs once and it was as if I was coming off some sort of drug or becoming tea total. It is called Carb Flu.

I am told that certain GWR loco's were fitted with a Carb Flu to improve their exhaust gas emissions :nono:  :mail:  :triniti:  :crazy:  :devil:

I think you need another holiday...

Good (Bad?) News Chaps.

After being red carded due to Mechanical Failure for close to a year. I have been declared Fit for traffic by the CME (chief medical examiner ;))

and will be back driving trains possibly this week.

Probably just as well really, I was getting a bit comfortable actually being in bed asleep at night  :)

Although If SWMBO got a second job, I wouldn't have to go back at all :O !!!!