SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Do any of you dear fellows put any sort of lubricant in the axle holes of coaches and wagons, I use Woodlands Scenics HL657  white grease

it improves loco pulling capability by at least 30% one tube should be enough for 500 pieces of rolling stock.  :good:

Stu I build or try to many coaches with Comet overlay sides I always remove the weight out of the coaches most end up the same weight which

helps reduce coaches falling over on tight curves if you run them a bit too fast, fully built brass coaches have plasticard floors.

I have to use lubrication at this time of my career. That type seems to be useful.

Thank you.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

This p.m. I have fiddled with my under-frame. It has now got its' Gas Tanks (hacked and cut and shut) and Brake Gear (basic.....Red Leader might like to enhance it?) all soldered on. Again dark now, so tomorrow for pics dear hearts.

I need you all to pray for me as I'm supposed to be accompanying SWMBO to Rutland Water tomorrow so she can test out velocipedes and then choose a suitable one, if there is such a thing. If available I then have to buy it retrospectively for her birthday (Sep10th 2018). It is going to be bl##dy freezing and I'd rather do the KC Roof and fit the Buffers.  I may say she has to ride it home to 36E to ensure it works OK. That might put her off! :superstition:  :declare:

Ar$£ 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

As one with an interest in both accident statistics and the challenges of late middle age (we wish!) may I insert a word of caution  about taking SWMBO to ride a velociraptor or whatever these things are called nowadays.

The DfT classifies bicyclists as vulnerable road users and for good reason. After pedestrians they are the highest scoring group of road users on the KSI scale. Given that there are around 100x as many pedestrians as bicyclists that is a very alarming statistic.

Contrary to common practice they are not invulnerable, nor immune to such things as sprained ankles, damaged knees, cardiac events and general loss of limb as a result, mostly of over exertion. Apparently by far the highest casualty rates are among the 'born agains' who take to two wheels , keen to relive their youthful days, without realising that those days are long gone (longer for some here than others no doubt) and what was all in a day's work 40 years ago is now but a hopeful aspiration.

As Neil Armstrong so famously commented when asked why he didn't pursue a running regime in his later years "When each of us is born. the Good Lord give us all a certain number of heartbeats. Why would you want to go using them all up at once?"

I say 'Amen to that!'

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As one with an interest in both accident statistics and the challenges of late middle age (we wish!) may I insert a word of caution  about taking SWMBO to ride a velociraptor or whatever these things are called nowadays.

The DfT classifies bicyclists as vulnerable road users and for good reason. After pedestrians they are the highest scoring group of road users on the KSI scale. Given that there are around 100x as many pedestrians as bicyclists that is a very alarming statistic.

Contrary to common practice they are not invulnerable, nor immune to such things as sprained ankles, damaged knees, cardiac events and general loss of limb as a result, mostly of over exertion. Apparently by far the highest casualty rates are among the 'born agains' who take to two wheels , keen to relive their youthful days, without realising that those days are long gone (longer for some here than others no doubt) and what was all in a day's work 40 years ago is now but a hopeful aspiration.

As Neil Armstrong so famously commented when asked why he didn't pursue a running regime in his later years "When each of us is born. the Good Lord give us all a certain number of heartbeats. Why would you want to go using them all up at once?"

I say 'Amen to that!'

Good thinking Smiffy. 

P

And I thought velociraptors were prehistoric birdlike creatures! :senile:

Brian.

Looking for a support some help and this thread seems like a 'broad church'. I have decided to build a layout without a railway cos it seems the trains is the bit that is a) expensive and b) causes all the augments. What period era does the team think I should go for?

Sorta like a big cakebox challenge or a diarrhea diorama. 

Edited by vaughan45

• RMweb Premium

If I have a suitable coach then I'll be happy to send it north.

But I thought SJ was a southern establishment?

1963 when the WR decided they would wreck the SR, they stuck two panniers (sadly offensive) that were redundant in South Wales, on the Seaton Branch with Auto coaches.

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Looking for a support some help and this thread seems like a 'broad church'. I have decided to build a layout without a railway cos it seems the trains is the bit that is a) expensive and b) causes all the augments. What period era does the team think I should go for?

No railway?

Bronze age :scenic:

• RMweb Premium

Give us a clue about what you like. Historic (say) anything from 1850s to 1950s, what you saw when you were a nipper, 60s transition, BR Blue, Transition to Sectorisation, Contemporary, Continental (same sort of  variety of eras), Industrial. Loco's? Stock?

If you want some inspiration then look at the Sheep Chronicles layouts. Frequently there are no loco's and often just the one wagon. Superbly atmospheric.

If you really mean a layout without a railway (and not without the actual trains?) then a closed line might be good? Lots of (derelict?) infrastructure but no actual track? I've never seen a layout like that but I do have a foot of track on a small viaduct on my EM layout, that is supposed to be derelict

Do stay and play with us on SOSJ as we enjoy your company.

ATB 

Duck & Co.

Edited by Mallard60022

How about a canal model which looks one of the areas where we now see canals and railways running side by side ( M6) or one crossing over t'other ( Ironbridge)?

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Vaughan

How about something like the old St Johns station 20 or so years ago. Track lifted, buildings knocked down, more variety of plants than seen in most gardens, couple of stray cats and a lamppost  at the bottom of the platform ramp with a sign "Beware of the Trains".

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If your better half ain’t ridden a bike for any number of years since she was a little girl, you might want to go riding for a bit, when she’ll find after a couple of miles that her rear end has become very sore, and a present of a bike isn’t such a good idea. This is what me + Mrs NR found when we hired bikes in the New Forest acouple of years back.

Give us a clue about what you like. Historic (say) anything from 1850s to 1950s, what you saw when you were a nipper, 60s transition, BR Blue, Transition to Sectorisation, Contemporary, Continental (same sort of  variety of eras), Industrial. Loco's? Stock?

If you want some inspiration then look at the Sheep Chronicles layouts. Frequently there are no loco's and often just the one wagon. Superbly atmospheric.

If you really mean a layout without a railway (and not without the actual trains?) then a closed line might be good? Lots of (derelict?) infrastructure but no actual track? I've never seen a layout like that but I do have a foot of track on a small viaduct on my EM layout, that is supposed to be derelict

Do stay and play with us on SOSJ as we enjoy your company.

ATB 

Duck & Co.

Many thanks, my mind is currently drawn to something set in the South East or East Anglia, possibly in an area that may have been served by a light railway in the 1920s before dereliction set in. Damn, I could also have an excuse for a line wandering through, not doing much just passing by. I must admit I like Rob's sheepy layouts, although possibly a little too much track!

How about a canal model which looks one of the areas where we now see canals and railways running side by side ( M6) or one crossing over t'other ( Ironbridge)?

Yes, that could be an idea as SWMBO has an interest in canals and Skytrex do a nice 7mm scale narrowboat and canal fittings - I am beginning to feel a tingle in the loins!

Hi Vaughan

How about something like the old St Johns station 20 or so years ago. Track lifted, buildings knocked down, more variety of plants than seen in most gardens, couple of stray cats and a lamppost  at the bottom of the platform ramp with a sign "Beware of the Trains".

Not sure about that, I seem to remember going 'exploring' there with my ex-wife on a number of occasions when we were 'going out' back in the late 70s.

My current SWMBO thinks this is all due to railway modelling going mainstream and I need to find something that still subversive to do!

Edited by vaughan45

• RMweb Premium

Are brass coaches much heavier to pull than plastic ones? Or do they roll better so once moving are easier to manage?

Generally, my metal coaches are heavier than my RTR ones but I think that this has as much to do with whitemetal bogies and fittings as with the metal bodies. The main factor in "pullability" is probably the "free runningness" of the wheels rather than the weight per se.

I think I just invented two new words there.

• RMweb Premium

If your better half ain’t ridden a bike for any number of years since she was a little girl, you might want to go riding for a bit, when she’ll find after a couple of miles that her rear end has become very sore, and a present of a bike isn’t such a good idea. This is what me + Mrs NR found when we hired bikes in the New Forest acouple of years back.

Ta, I should have said that she is a regular and enthusiastic cyclist and has completed some long distance rides including Hadrian's Way earlier this year. Her existing bike is almost worn out after 20 years or so. She does not wear full Lycra and does not get a sore arse.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I was going to comment on that but decided not to...

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks, my mind is currently drawn to something set in the South East or East Anglia, possibly in an area that may have been served by a light railway in the 1920s before dereliction set in. Damn, I could also have an excuse for a line wandering through, not doing much just passing by. I must admit I like Rob's sheepy layouts, although possibly a little too much track!

Yes, that could be an idea as SWMBO has an interest in canals and Skytrex do a nice 7mm scale narrowboat and canal fittings - I am beginning to feel a tingle in the loins!

Not sure about that, I seem to remember going 'exploring' there with my ex-wife on a number of occasions when we were 'going out' back in the late 70s.

My current SWMBO thinks this is all due to railway modelling going mainstream and I need to find something that still subversive to do!

Southwold?

Southwold?

Good thought, particularly as I've just bought the new Lightmoor book on the Southwold Railway

Melton Constable?

P

Spookily, that's one of the areas we are looking at in our planned move to Norfolk  :sungum:  :sungum:

If Sir Mallard will permit, here is a model that I did finish... It will be going to it's new owner at the weekend if all goes according to plan

gallery_8865_4532_3875.jpg

• Like 4