RMweb

Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Premium

Question ( I am NOT a rail expert, just a keen observer)

there was just one ballast wagon with this auxilliary power unit on it,    Purpose?

attachicon.gif100_4353 (Small).JPG

And just to add, one guy can opperate the hoppers in the rake with a remote / belt pack. A flick of a small electroinc toggle is all that is required now.

The auto ballaster has taken away alot of the fun of running ballast. Spent many a happy hour on Seacows and Dogfish hoppers in years past! It used to be a job i enjoyed but like so much else on the railway now, its simplified and mechanised and takes much less espenditure and man power than it used to. Riding along to or from the ballast job in the Shark plow van is another activity consigned to the history books, atleast down this way at any rate.

Hi Don (Granitechops)

welcome to RMweb I cant answer your rail questions as no idea myself ( how long is a chain lol ) but thanks for posting some great pics.

A chain is 22 yards  ( 66 feet ), or the total length of a cricket pitch.

Coincidentally, it's also the length of the hall used for the Kenavon Model Railway Exhibition!

• Like 1

I think that's likely to be just their opinion. I don't think that any official decisions have been taken on this yet, it will depend on how the remaining repairs go (ie. the ones that can be done with the railway running). I doubt very much that the beach and public walkway would be closed for that length of time, given that everyone is very sensitive to the effect of the February storms on this summers tourist season.

Talk of 'possible outer sea defence works' is really still just that - 'talk', although there are 'official' discussions taking place now on how to defend the Sea Wall in the future, this forming part of the governmental review that was announced previously.

I'll have to have a look at that, hadn't spotted it before. Apart from a few known stone structures, I'm not aware of anything running in parallel to the main wall, that distance out. Archive sources (the Peter Kay book) don't really say anything about that, from memory, but I can make enquiries at work...

I think what you can see at that distance from the present sea wall is some concrete blocks and remains of some quite big diameter piping. If my memory serves me correctly it runs parallel to the wall and is certainly in the area where the footbridge crosses the track by the breach. I wondered what it was when I saw it.

I think that's likely to be just their opinion. I don't think that any official decisions have been taken on this yet, it will depend on how the remaining repairs go (ie. the ones that can be done with the railway running). I doubt very much that the beach and public walkway would be closed for that length of time, given that everyone is very sensitive to the effect of the February storms on this summers tourist season.

Talk of 'possible outer sea defence works' is really still just that - 'talk', although there are 'official' discussions taking place now on how to defend the Sea Wall in the future, this forming part of the governmental review that was announced previously.

I'll have to have a look at that, hadn't spotted it before. Apart from a few known stone structures, I'm not aware of anything running in parallel to the main wall, that distance out. Archive sources (the Peter Kay book) don't really say anything about that, from memory, but I can make enquiries at work...

I thought those "walls" 40-60 feet further down the beach were the ones you'd mentioned being installed in the 90s to protect the rock underneath the foundations.

I'm certainly not aware of there having been any more substantial walls any further out than the main wall itself. 

NR had previously put out a standard 12 month estimate which has prompted many to believe this is the length of time until the pathway opens. Local councils have assured locals that this will not be the case although certain parts of the wall may be off limits for some time. Bearing in mind the peak season would be a disaster if no one could access the beach.

The owners of the Red Rock Cafe at Langstone Rock are in severe financial difficultly due to the loss of their business and they were told initially "June".  Council and NR are in talks at present.

Just a solitary figure visible on the line at the moment hi powered torch in hand inspecting something or other near the wall.

Sea is coming in I think, lots of waves tonight.

Edit there are several searching the track with powerful flashlights, I think CK has dropped an EM wheelset and they're all looking for it.

Edited by woodenhead

Thanks to all for the feed back to my questions

the outer  'sea wall' I refered too can be discerned in this shot from Google Maps

post-22449-0-91073000-1396050220_thumb.jpg

There is what looks like a large sewage outfall pipe bisecting it

in a view from the Dawlish Beach Cam you can see what appears to be steel piling underpining this pipe when the sand level is low, so that has to be fairly modern

there are also various 'stone' groines at right angles along its length

but if you look carefully at google maps there is a definate structure

most of the way from the old lifeboat house all the way to Red rock as we know it

or Rockstone as it is on the maps 

but this is what it looks like from the Dawlish Beach cam

http://www.dawlishbeach.com/live/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=18

post-22449-0-16938100-1396050730_thumb.jpg

Edit

Sewage outfall in the middle there

I would just love to get down there & photograph it myself but in a wheelchair I am limited as to access

AND although I have a Shoprider wheelchair  that I have equipped with twin rear wheels

that will negotiate flat wet sand very well, groins & stone are beyond its capabilities  :scratchhead:

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

the outer  'sea wall' I refered too can be discerned in this shot from Google Maps

attachicon.gifDAWLISH MAP 15 Mar 2014.jpg

in a view from the Dawlish Beach Cam you can see what appears to be steel piling underpining this pipe when the sand level is low, so that has to be fairly modern

most of the way from the old lifeboat house all the way to Red rock as we know it

attachicon.gifLOW TIDE 19- 20 Mar 07-46-31 2014.jpg

Edit

I would just love to get down there & photograph it myself but in a wheelchair I am limited as to access

AND although I have a Shoprider wheelchair  that I have equipped with twin rear wheels

that will negotiate flat wet sand very well, groins & stone are beyond its capabilities  :scratchhead:

Could they be the remains of wartime anti invasion measures?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There just been a piece on the BBC News channel about the reopening.  It consisted of a studio interview with (in my opinion) the dreadful Simon Calder and some archive footage.   The main point he made was that the Tiverton Plymouth journey by train, after reopening, will take longer than the replacement bus service, then he went on about possible diversionary routes.   He suggested that south western MP's, mainly Lib dem and Conservative, would use a reopened Okehampton route as a bargaining tool to garuntee their support for HS2.  All in all I was distinctly underwhelmed.

Jamie

Edit

The part running parallel as well as being stone/ rock also has pipework. In places it has broken and can be seen inside. If you enlarge the photo on http://www.teignbridge.gov.uk/dawlishtownbeach you can see the detail more clearly. Probably more images Googling Dawlish beach.

Just got back from Teignmouth  Station

66555 in the down platform road

post-22449-0-45747800-1396087779.jpg

train of ballast wagons, forgot to count how many

post-22449-0-15151800-1396087903.jpg

a train of flats, I think he said  new track, (or was it new rail?)

came down on this & when they cut up the old track it will be loaded on these

post-22449-0-45275500-1396087983.jpg

A load of sleepers behind the ballast wagons

post-22449-0-21270600-1396088116.jpg

And if you are concerned about sharp curves on a model layout

the real railway is too, but THEY label their wagons!!!

post-22449-0-39566300-1396088316.jpg

• Like 8

Edit

The part running parallel as well as being stone/ rock also has pipework. In places it has broken and can be seen inside. If you enlarge the photo on http://www.teignbridge.gov.uk/dawlishtownbeach you can see the detail more clearly. Probably more images Googling Dawlish beach.

Thanks Lightengine, tried that with TDC page photo     but all I get is pixelling before any detail is discernable

• RMweb Gold

Because the line has been out for several weeks is there any element of re-signing for the route for drivers before trains can restart?

i doubt it but you are bound to get the odd driver who will want a 6 week refresh of the route to get out of doing his own work!!

as i put on a previous post there is a signalling brief out for the section between dawlish and teignmouth regards extended block working, basically trains will enter the "block section" at dawlish warren then pass a number of bagged up signals before leaving the section at teignmouth, i've been sent it (as it went out to all drivers at colas) even though i dont go down there, the brief is actually a fgw one so i should imagine all their drivers who go over the route will have been sent it or been briefed on it by a manager before going down there

Most likely the content of the ship containers will go into the bottom and the top approx 3 feet will be hardcore, and yes there was water pipes and gas pipes hanging out of the ground which will have to be reconnected.

So how precisely are they going to get the rubble from the container so the fill without closing the line? And then risking damage to the line from taking rubble rom one side to the other? And then how long do you need to close the line for to do that?

I thought that one of the priorities was to get the line open.

They might have to reinstate services first. I noticed some broken pipes before the concrete was sprayed, and some shoring up might be necessary for that to take place.

Yes I saw that too,

but wouldn't the utilities have had to disconnect the sewers, & especially the gas for safety

and would the utility companies then have provided aternative supply?

Gas & water could have come in from the back 

Sewers I cant quite see an alternative except using Chemical toilets

perhaps those still living there ( some cannot return yet) are in effect 'camping out'