Washout at Dawlish

I guess that in the not too distant future this topic will be closed. Can I be the 1st to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed all the photos, contributions, information and wit since Feb 4th. Perhaps we can meet on here annually under a reunion topic.

Should there be a need in this country for future massive rail repair can I suggest that up goes the shout ' Cry havoc and unleash the Orange army' this will be heard as far afield as Kernow Mansion in darkest Cornwall and the faithful will rally once more.

• Like 5

Dont know what the stuation is with the slips at Teigbnmouth,

but there are still 4 dumpy bags of what could be scaffolding clips + two platforms

in the road 'pit' at Riviera / Sea lawn Terrace,

that could be moved by an RRV before the tracks open properly.

probably  lots & lots of activitty before Friday.

post-22449-0-51723800-1396430760_thumb.jpg

And there has been lots of minor activity all down the closed sections

Track fettling?

Just south of Exeter St Thomas

pic taken Friday 7th March from B&Q car park Alphington

post-22449-0-34726600-1396428952.jpg

And  Balfour Beatty group of vans & comfort kiosk parked up on 10th March

prior to remedial work on the seawall butresses in the Exe Estuary at Starcross 

could not get any pics of the work as they were working out of site

around the curve from the pedestrian crossing point

post-22449-0-27465700-1396429078.jpg

Hoping to get to Dawlish Station for some pics before the crowds descend on Friday

Edited by Granitechops

• RMweb Gold

I saw a Renault Megane in Exeter yesterday with a sticker in the window reading "NO PASTIES ARE LEFT IN THIS VEHICLE OVERNIGHT."

Anybody we know?

John

ISTR CK drives a vehicle from an alternative French manufacturer, so it ain't him.

I saw a Renault Megane in Exeter yesterday with a sticker in the window reading "NO PASTIES ARE LEFT IN THIS VEHICLE OVERNIGHT."

I don't think CK drives a Megane, I'm pretty sure it's a pickup...

post-17811-0-92758200-1396433028.jpg

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 4

I wonder if the captain of the ship was the same one who who managed to collide with Southend Pier some years ago he was completely unaware of just where he was although not seeing a mile and a quarter metal object does take some doing.

I guess that in the not too distant future this topic will be closed. Can I be the 1st to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed all the photos, contributions, information and wit since Feb 4th.

Hi.

This has been the most frustrating thread on RMWeb ever! I was really interested in seeing how the repairs on the track (as I know the place well) but continue to find myself having to wade through pages and pages of nothing but waffle to find the interesting bits. Its been about 90% waffle of no substance and 10% of things that have actually been informative, things like links to the webcams and the fantastic pictures by CK have been lost amongst talk about pasties, cricket, and animated gifs! Its exactly why I dont like threads...

Missy :(

Hi.

This has been the most frustrating thread on RMWeb ever! I was really interested in seeing how the repairs on the track (as I know the place well) but continue to find myself having to wade through pages and pages of nothing but waffle to find the interesting bits. Its been about 90% waffle of no substance and 10% of things that have actually been informative, things like links to the webcams and the fantastic pictures by CK have been lost amongst talk about pasties, cricket, and animated gifs! Its exactly why I dont like threads...

Judging by the variety of replies on here and looking at the profiles of the contributers, which to me seem to be very varied ie across the board in ages, professions, interset etc etc It indicates that most people/ contributers have enjoyed the thread.

If you look at the postings and then look at the 'funny', 'like', 'agree', 'informative' indicators that they have been given I think that again indicates that the thread has been enjoyable.

At the end of the day we can probably all find something not so agreeable in many many threads. But if we can get something useful out of a thread then it was all worthwhile.

I personally dont need to know that my tender has 1 rivet too few, BUT, someone else may care!

Hi.

Apologies for having a bit of fun... I suggest we all immediately return to being serious and interesting.

Actually, I've spotted a flaw with that idea, as I'm neither of those things... Wibble.

Edit: if you're just after facts and progress reports, you could try the Network Rail website. I've heard they're serious and interesting...

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 5

Apologies for having a bit of fun... I suggest we all immediately return to being serious and interesting.

Actually, I've spotted a flaw with that idea, as I'm neither of those things... Wibble.

Edit: if you're just after facts and progress reports, you could try the Network Rail website. I've heard they're serious and interesting...

Lifeboatman have you ever read the HSE or the Political Correctness sites? ..............zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yes,

But

Although they have the facts, perhaps due to pressure of work,

there  has at times been a delay of several days before their website has been updated

where as on RMweb, things have been seen, captured & shared almost as soon as they are seen

Which has another benefit when some webcams crash & all the footage is lost,

except for where someone has done a screen capture, & shared it!!

by the way just met a man driving a white lorry with a sky hook on it, in Marine Parade Dawlish!!

post-22449-0-01474600-1396443722.jpg

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi.

Sorry, Julia. I do have some more photos to upload later - the ones I took on Sunday, showing the Smugglers Cove relaying site.

• Like 1

I think Missy does have a point, which has been aired before. For anyone new to the thread (as I was 40+ pages ago), it is difficult to pull out the news-worthy items to catch up.

On the other hand, I have really enjoyed passively following the thread since then, and have learned a lot about pasties and official equipment terminology in addition to the impressive NR performance!

It occurs to me that an improvement to the forum software (or perhaps thru the use of a script/tool) would be to filter all posts marked with 'Thanks' and 'Informative', etc. That would certainly pull out all CK's great material, along with many other valuable contributions!

I'm going to miss this thread when it runs dry...  :umbrage:

Alan

Hi.

Dawlish Station open for booking tickets,

He knew nothing of a Steam train running.

but its busy down there a lot of trackside tidying up

bedfore the lines reopen to service trains

after which most other  works will have to be accessed off track

White lorry man was collecting stuff trackside by Kennaway tunnel in Marine Parade

RRV was loading drums of resin & hardener just delivered buy road

for the track relaid further down the line, smugglers, I think

At £2000 a drum, hope they dont go missing!!

post-22449-0-99398700-1396444320.jpg

one team was fitting up the new Railing on the seawall walk along the front of Marine Parade

post-22449-0-15214700-1396444404.jpg

A plant hire lorry from Barnstaple arrived at Dawlish Station to remove

a Bam Nuttall   container on the corner of the Taxi rank

post-22449-0-34342200-1396444445.jpg

Theres lots more to do at Sealawn Terrace,

as one lane of the A379 is still closed with traffic lights in operation

I hope they clear that before Friday's influx 

post-22449-0-91710800-1396445275.jpg

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 1

Quote edited

or perhaps thru the use of a script/tool) would be to filter all posts marked with 'Thanks' and 'Informative', etc. 

Alan

Now that  is something that I would find really usefull

I am only up to page 53 as yet  !!

Edited by Granitechops