Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Washout at Dawlish

Sort of, I believe the woman who enquired actually lived in, I think, Holland or Belgium and rang to ask if they were going to get a hurricane.  FIsh said that they weren't - he didn't say that Britain wasn't going to get a hurricane but neither did he forecast one.

He pretty much said there wasn't going to be one.

To quote his quote

But I also said: “Apparently a lady rang the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way. Well don’t worry if you’re watching, there isn’t.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-michael-fish-would-1377118#ixzz3A5c0NHBo 

Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

It looks like the 'yellow army' of Teignmouth sea wall are preparing their retreat. The compound by the yacht club an the sea wall is diminishing and lorries are being loaded. Weapons of mass renovation are being removed. In beach huts the lights are once again being lit.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It looks like the 'yellow army' of Teignmouth sea wall are preparing their retreat. The compound by the yacht club an the sea wall is diminishing and lorries are being loaded. Weapons of mass renovation are being removed. In beach huts the lights are once again being lit.

This should be in readiness for the advertised reopening to Smugglers tomorrow.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

He pretty much said there wasn't going to be one.

To quote his quote

But I also said: “Apparently a lady rang the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way. Well don’t worry if you’re watching, there isn’t.”

Isn't that precisely the quote I posted a few days ago?

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately the Teignmouth to Smugglers path didn't reopen today, and has been put back by a week, due to damage to the works on the Sprey Point ramp by the High Seas on Sunday. Reopening is now scheduled for Tuesday 19th August.

Here are a few photos at the Dawlish end taken on a site inspection this afternoon:

post-57-0-85612900-1407876676.jpg

post-57-0-62264500-1407876690.jpg

post-57-0-53592000-1407876703.jpg

post-57-0-66133900-1407876716.jpg

post-57-0-02787500-1407876729.jpg

post-57-0-72095400-1407876742.jpg

post-57-0-81864700-1407876756.jpg

post-57-0-65075900-1407876768.jpg

post-57-0-57721700-1407876778.jpg

• Like 12

Tim,

Was it wave action damage from Sunday (or run off, for example)? Just interested for my own notes. I was getting wind estimates of 50 to 60 mph here in the ‘States whilst the Met Office were indicating fairly light winds with 25 - 35 mph gusts. I suspect it was something inbetween.

Thanks, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately the Teignmouth to Smugglers path didn't reopen today, and has been put back by a week, due to damage to the works on the Sprey Point ramp by the High Seas on Sunday. Reopening is now scheduled for Tuesday 19th August.

Was the new damage to permanent repairs? More high seas and already more damage would not be good news for the long term, but might strengthen the case for a diversionary route.

• RMweb Gold

It was an averagely intense storm, from a short section of video I've seen. I think that the 50 - 60 mph gusts that Pete in the USA saw, would have been about right.

The damage was not to the permanent repairs on the wall itself, but to the shuttering, scaffolding and general site repair set-up at the Sprey Point ramp. This all had to be cleaned up and re-jigged before these repairs could be completed.

• RMweb Premium

Ivaran is a nice fallen flag box (taken over by CP Ships, who were then taken over by Hapag Lloyd) - and PIL is a relative rarity in the UK...interesting to see some nice variety, albeit in a role with little future! :)

Cant say Ive ever seen an Ivaran marked container, not even on a train in the U.S!! Im assuming that it must have finished its revenue earning days a far while ago to be still in those markings if its since been taken over by 2 company's. That one's certainly been around the world a few times if its an ex CP Ships box!!

Im glad its not just me who takes notice of container markings. Must be something to do with being interested in American freight trains much like yourself ofcourse Martyn. :D

Edited by Gary H
  • Like 2

Having been to Exeter today is the reddish hue to the Ogin in the Smugglers Cove area due to the recent wet weather or is it more hosing down of the cliff face.

SS

It has been in the sea since being washed down in the controlled landslip. It seems to extend several metres all the time. Even the recent weather has not moved it. The beach itself is a bit cleaner of plant material in the last couple of weeks though.

• RMweb Premium

Great pics there CK and be interesting if anyone would model the containers in such a state.

It's a wonder one of those E-bayers who constantly try to sell battered, rusty,  "scrapline" locos / coaches /wagons etc. hasn't caught on!

Keith