Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Gold

Read a suggestion somewhere yesterday that maybe     the shipping containers would be removed today,

Don't think that this is happening just yet, if what I've more recently heard about the mode of removal is correct - need to do a bit more checking first.

For those who missed it last night, 'The One Show' had two pieces from our local 'Inside Out' reporter (Sam Smith who is one the better TV journalists) showing some unseen film in TV quality.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03zcvjw/The_One_Show_02_04_2014/

11.50 and 48.20 minutes in.

Some fantastic footage on there,

but dont leave it too long before you view it,

as it probably will only be on IPlayer for a very few days

• RMweb Gold

Sheesh. It must be almost 20 years since a colleague "divvied up" the Big Yellow Machines (as they were described even at the most senior level) among the BRIS Units, prior to them being vested and sold. I infer there is a lot more on-track and complementary plant about now.

I don't think that anyone was ever sure about Julian and Sandy :)

Really? I never thought there was any doubt: for example, the glorious episode where Julian and Sandy are now solicitors: as Julian says when asked if they will take Horne's case: "It depends what it is. We've got a criminal practice that takes up most of our time..."

Genius.

Paul

• Like 1

That is no track vehicle, it's the new FGW unit for local services. The cost of repairing all this has to come from somewhere so all the sprinters have been sent to the North West to allow TPE to transfer its 170s south.

The FGW track access and leasing savings are paying for the repairs.

Now that would be REALLY useful

as its  a RR vehicle, it could take you right to your front door!!

That is no track vehicle, it's the new FGW unit for local services. The cost of repairing all this has to come from somewhere so all the sprinters have been sent to the North West to allow TPE to transfer its 170s south.

The FGW track access and leasing savings are paying for the repairs.

Like the little drop down trailery thingie on the left for overcrowding :)

Edited by Coombe Barton

With the DJ holding the long playing record, but at 33 1/3 RPM it would take a long time to cut the rail.

A 78 RPM would be better, but shellac records does shatter quite easily. 

Also well done to the Captain K and the orange army.

Guest Belgian

The really important thing is:

Will this thread reach its 100th page before the first train runs on the wall?! :scratchhead:

JE

• RMweb Gold

When the line reopens will there be TSRs in place or will full line-speed be available straight away?

ROB

There will be 30 mph speed restrictions on both lines in the area of the main breach, pending consolidation of the track and formation, and a 50 mph on both lines where the track was relaid adjacent to the landslip site - this is standard on this kind of plain line relaying site and will be removed within normal industry timescales.

This time I used the available transportation (there's no truth in the vicious rumour that some paint had rubbed off, revealing the former logo of 'Wessex Trains'... ;)

The view as we went along:

attachicon.gifIMG_2287.JPG

Very impressed with the 'luxury seating' - no stinting for the conveyances of the 'Orange Army'... :no:

• RMweb Gold

There will be 30 mph speed restrictions on both lines in the area of the main breach, pending consolidation of the track and formation, and a 50 mph on both lines where the track was relaid adjacent to the landslip site - this is standard on this kind of plain line relaying site and will be removed within normal industry timescales.

I will try and be awake for the speed restriction as we pass over it in the early hours of Saturday morning on the sleeper heading west!!

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The day has arrived.

OK we're 10 hours ahead of Dawlish for this week only and it's only 00.05 on the 4th April here.

But may I be the first to congratulate everyone concerned on the re-opening of the Dawlish section of the Great Western Main Line.

• Like 3