Washout at Dawlish

looking at the time on the image's 3 mim 32 sec

Lol I was referring to the 66 which was moving even the light reflections off the camera almost match.

It was a constantly moving target so the 37 seconds will be the clock times on our 'puters.

Edited by woodenhead

post-19606-0-57400200-1396553979_thumb.jpg

The bunting is hanging out on the upside platform.  On the downside platform all the roof canopy stanchions are wrapped in protective plastic sheeting

post-19606-0-48066900-1396553982_thumb.jpg

post-19606-0-72976600-1396553976_thumb.jpg

post-19606-0-16629500-1396553987_thumb.jpg

Beware of 'Whirry buzzy flying thingies'

post-19606-0-35182000-1396553972_thumb.jpg

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 6

NR don't look after the safety of the orange army traveling on the people mover ,loose seats and NO seat belts but its still a brilliant answer to moving the army when on their allotted tasks so as they can eat  a pasty and read a paper.

• Like 2

Thanks for the first paragraph!  :thankyou:

As regards to gluing the ballast, there are still enough voids between each piece to allow water to run through and drain away normally. Apart from looking like its wet when it isn't and the fact its practically solid, it hasn't really changed its drainage capabilities. The packing points, ie, 18 inches each side of the rail are not actually glued, just the 6 foot and shoulders! Oh.... and a little bit of the 4 foot too.

Thanks for the explanation Gary, makes sense when you understand it. My experience of epoxy is as a covering, so no voids at all which is why I asked about drainage. I guess the packing points not being glued lets the ballast retain some movement, so the noise and vibration damping isn't affected?

I have wondered in the past about the viability of using a mesh to retain/contain ballast in areas prone to flooding. A metal mesh would be laid at base level like a blanket, extending beyond the 4ft. The track and ballast would then be laid on top of the mesh, and the ends of the mesh would then be folded over the ballast from the outer edge of the 4ft and pinned to the sleepers, with pegs inserted from the 4ft to sleeper edge to limit movement of the mesh and the ballast.

But if gluing the ballast works, my solution is both expensive and pointless!!

Mark

It does show over 100 pages at my end but my version retains all the removed posts from earlier punch-ups. ;)

Always Punch never Judy  :P   ;)

mind you she`ll be busy keeping croc off the sausages  8)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the explanation Gary, makes sense when you understand it. My experience of epoxy is as a covering, so no voids at all which is why I asked about drainage. I guess the packing points not being glued lets the ballast retain some movement, so the noise and vibration damping isn't affected?

I have wondered in the past about the viability of using a mesh to retain/contain ballast in areas prone to flooding. A metal mesh would be laid at base level like a blanket, extending beyond the 4ft. The track and ballast would then be laid on top of the mesh, and the ends of the mesh would then be folded over the ballast from the outer edge of the 4ft and pinned to the sleepers, with pegs inserted from the 4ft to sleeper edge to limit movement of the mesh and the ballast.

But if gluing the ballast works, my solution is both expensive and pointless!!

Mark

The gluing works well but its expensive. To glue 30 chain at Dawlish cost £275'000, or £2000 a drum.

Im in the wrong job.

• RMweb Premium

Oh no, webcam down

Its still on my end. :scratchhead:

That personnel carrier and 2 road railer's  just went by again in the Warren direction, one with what I think was a large compressor.

NR don't look after the safety of the orange army traveling on the people mover ,loose seats and NO seat belts but its still a brilliant answer to moving the army when on their allotted tasks so as they can eat  a pasty and read a paper.

I wonder which RM Web member will scratchbuild the 1st model of it?

• RMweb Premium

Is it ballasted in layers to ensure drainage or ballasted and then glued?

Its still ballasted in the conventional way, nothing different is done.

Bottom ballast, track in, top ballast, tamped, brushed (regulated, tidied up) and glued. Folk may have noticed that the fibre glass boards that were in the track during and after the storms are no longer there. These were all taken to Newton Abbot yard and may end up being used in Penzance but at the moment that's a big 'maybe'.

A road transporter has just appeared in Teignmouth backyard, so I guess the people carrier I photographed earlier may be leaving for pastures new.  Lots of lights flashing on the transporter and orange bods around.

Its the Quattro digger thingy that is going.

Pretty soon there will only be beach combing left to do inTeignmouth with all these 'thingies' leaving town.

Edited by lightengine

Plymouth area signalling diagram is showing the 66 in Newton Abbot whilst the other light engine is shown in Exetter St Thomas

I did not notice the 66 moving through is this because the track circuits are disabled past Warren?

Plymouth area signalling diagram is showing the 66 in Newton Abbot whilst the other light engine is shown in Exetter St Thomas

I did not notice the 66 moving through is this because the track circuits are disabled past Warren?

The 66 has left Abbott on its way back

Those containers - it's a shame they can't be cut up into small enough pieces and sold on a commemorative plaque, with all proceeds going behind the bar for all the orange army to have a well-deserved drink! I would happily pay for a piece of this historic event as long as it rewarded those responsible for the incredible effort.

What a lovely idea :)  :)

• RMweb Premium

The 66 has left Abbott on its way back

Oh B****r I cant get the webcam to work now either, I reckon we've overloaded their server!

Ideal, got it back again! :sungum:

Edited by Gary H