RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo's you have posted today. Those of the Welshpool and Llanfair Railway show just how lovely the line is.  Then, at Shildon, in J4448, at Shildon Masons Arms crossing, you can also see that the signal has a lovely NER finial on the top of the post. It would make a great model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

It was a fully gated crossing till the works closed. Daves clever pic just doesn't show them.

P

Porcy Mane,

Many thanks for posting the photos in your post (not copied in the quote),  I'd forgotten what the crossing looked like then.  

The one I posted was one of Dad's, it was very cunning of him to manage to leave out all the buildings and the gates!.

David

Edited by DaveF

Thank you Dave for the WLLR pictures,been a member for years but havnt managed a visit for a couple of years,beautiful location in that Valley and the locos sound superb on the steep climb out of Welshpool.

Must try for a weekend away this summer.

Thank you for all pictures you keep posting and the great pleasure it gives to us all.

Don. 

• RMweb Gold

The bogie cement train hauled by a class 46 at St Neots (J2458) was the 6O36 22.00 Grangemouth - Holborough (MWTh) /Hoo Jct (TO) or Cliffe (FO). It was due to pass St Neots around 1.00 to 1.30 pm the following day. Apart from Saturdays the train was booked to run on the up main.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-29th-april/page-254&do=findComment&comment=2282955

The 12.29 KX - Huntingdon only ran on Saturdays (due St. Neots at 1.56 pm) so it seems the cement train was heading to Cliffe. The third coach is one of the early Mk2 FKs with Mk1 window ventilators, originally delivered in maroon livery in 1963/4, but already cascaded onto outer suburban traffic. It doesn't appear to have a yellow line below the cant rail, but carries first indications on the doors.

Regarding the date when headcodes stopping being used, I think it was officially March 1976, though on the ECML the Deltics had all received domino style markers prior to Feb 1975. The GN and GE electric services seemed to keep using the headcodes for a year or two longer though.

Edited by stovepipe

We'll head west from Darlington today, along the Stockton and Darlington line before going to Eastgate in the Wear Valley.

The first three photos were taken during a weekend visit Mum and Dad made to see the S&D.  I believe it was led by Ken Hoole but cannot remember which society organised it.

attachicon.gifea Darlington North Road May 75 J4419.jpg

Darlington North Road May 75 J4419

attachicon.gifg Shildon Masons Arms Crossing May 75 J4447.jpg

Shildon Masons Arms Crossing May 75 J4447

attachicon.gifg Shildon Masons Arms crossing May 75 J4448.jpg

Shildon Masons Arms crossing May 75 J4448

If the tour was led by Ken Hoole, then it was probably organised by the North Eastern Railway Association, who used to organise May tours to places of NER interest. I believe the lady in J4419 looks like Una Tate, wife of Bill from the Manchester MRS , parents of John, who is still involved with the Society, and also at the East Lancs. I f you go to the exhibition and buy magazines off Una's stall, that's who I mean, as she ran it for many years, though she, and Bill are now deceased.

Kevin

Going back a few posts....

Cotham Class 37 D6830 from Newark towards Bottesford Sept 68 J1428

I used to go train spotting on a bridge where I could see the Bottesford line join the ECML just south of Newark Northgate. That was in the vain hope of seeing something as good as this, but it was the late 70's not the late 60s. I was only 3 when that photo was taken!

The normal traffic down that line by my time was a pair of 31s every afternoon, with a handful of wagons only. Sometimes just a brakevan. They ran northwards along the ECML to Newark, pottered, then went down the Bottesford line. I never knew where they came from or where they went to. Does anyone know?

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Regarding 'Cotham Class 37 D6830 from Newark towards Bottesford Sept 68 J1428',

If this was taken on a Saturday then it is more likely to be a Doncaster - Toton inter-yard working. These operated on Saturdays where the trips to Toton from LIncoln or Immingham don't seem to have. Almost everything else from the Lincoln direction in my 1970 WTT was company oil trains or Freightliners from Humberside.

I can't seen anything which came from the Grantham direction and reversed at Newark, in 1970 at any rate.

Some photos taken at Derby today over a fairly long period of time.

attachicon.gifDerby RTC Railway Technical Centre June 69 J1764.jpg

Derby RTC Railway Technical Centre June 69 J1764

Just querying the date of your RTC photo Dave, I wonder why there is no sign of Derwent or Trent Houses at that date.

The RTC would have been the 'white heat of technology' back then. Such a shame it's now just rented offices now.

Thanks again Dave

Just noticed there are still semaphores present, for some reason I thought the power box was before 69

There are some colour light signals with crosses on them in the photo.

Porcy Mane,

Many thanks for posting the photos in your post (not copied in the quote),  I'd forgotten what the crossing looked like then.  

The one I posted was one of Dad's, it was very cunning of him to manage to leave out all the buildings and the gates!.

Looks like the gates had received a makeover by the time this phot was taken.

11520073606_1322b0f944_c.jpgimg130 by Gordon Woods, on Flickr

If the tour was led by Ken Hoole, then it was probably organised by the North Eastern Railway Association, who used to organise May tours to places of NER interest. I believe the lady in J4419 looks like Una Tate, wife of Bill from the Manchester MRS , parents of John, who is still involved with the Society, and also at the East Lancs. I f you go to the exhibition and buy magazines off Una's stall, that's who I mean, as she ran it for many years, though she, and Bill are now deceased.

That looks like a younger Mr. Tyreman(RCTS)in the centre of C8492. Probably trying to usher people off the track being an Ex Zetland House man (BR) at the time and Mrs Williamson, who looks after NERA currently looks after exhibition sales running alongside the 101 in C8518.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Just querying the date of your RTC photo Dave, I wonder why there is no sign of Derwent or Trent Houses at that date.

There are some colour light signals with crosses on them in the photo.

I wondered much the same thing.

However Dad always filed his slides in date order and numbered each one and wrote the slide number and date in his catalogue, so I think the date will be right.

David

Edited by DaveF

David

J1514- I think these are empty Carflats. They have low sides with 'pillars', lack bolsters, and appear to have tyre marks along the length of the train. They are also running under Class 3 headcodes, which would fit with them being passenger-rated stock. I'd suggest an empty working from Wakefield to Dagenham.

• RMweb Gold

David

J1514- I think these are empty Carflats. They have low sides with 'pillars', lack bolsters, and appear to have tyre marks along the length of the train. They are also running under Class 3 headcodes, which would fit with them being passenger-rated stock. I'd suggest an empty working from Wakefield to Dagenham.

Also have yellow wheel chocks visible

David

Also have yellow wheel chocks visible

Also the 31 is one of the early air braked ones by the look of the newly painted air res & train brake pipes on the front. 26 had been so fitted by Dec 1968.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's from Westfield today. The 33 in the first one is looking very well weathered! And the class 55 Deltic in J1511 is equally grimy.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Gold

I'm not quite old enough to have stood on a bridge over the East Coast Main Line in the late 1960s or early 70s watching the incredible variety of locomotives that passed beneath. But somehow I feel like I have been there, David, because of your wonderfully evocative photographs. They may not be of the high definition that we are used to these days, but that doesn't matter; my memories aren't HD either!

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1

J1491 is almost certainly the Uddingston-Cliff cement train.

4F08 & 3F09 - the *F* headcode was for special train on the ECML, so possibly these trains were not regular workings.

1A23 was the 10:00 Edinburgh-KX, the up Flying Scotsman

1A62 - ECML trains didn't normally have headcodes with a number this high. Possibly an extra?

Edited by mark54

J1491 - The Class 33 is still in green with a white stripe, and full yellow ends that wrap round to the cab side windows.

This was not an uncommon livery variation, but as the loco number looks to end in 1 (as far as I can see from zooming in) that limits the possibilities to 6501, 6561 or 6581...

By assuming that you'd unlikely to find an EH (Eastleigh) loco on a freight that originates deep into HG (Hither Green) territory, that eliminates 6501

Edited by talisman56

Today's second batch show a few more diesel hydraulics.

I'm not at al sure that the numvers of the Warships are correct, I think Dad tried to read them off the slides as for some reason he didn't make notes that day.

attachicon.gifb Taunton Silk Mill Crossing Class 35 D7000 down cement Aug 66 J579.jpg

Taunton Silk Mill Crossing Class 35 D7000 down cement Aug 66 J579

attachicon.gifInstow Class 22 D6339 milk Aug 66 J583.jpg

Instow Class 22 D6339 milk Aug 66 J583

attachicon.gifb Pirbright Junction Class 42 D856 Trojan Exeter to Waterloo July 67 J0978.jpg

Pirbright Junction Class 42 ?D856 Trojan Exeter to Waterloo July 67 J0978

attachicon.gifb Pirbright Junction Class 42 D811 Daring Waterloo to Exeter July 67 J979.jpg

Pirbright Junction Class 42 ?D811 Daring Waterloo to Exeter July 67 J979

attachicon.gifb Taunton Class 52 up Golden Hind Plymouth to Paddington 16th July 69 C025.jpg

Taunton Class 52 up Golden Hind Plymouth to Paddington 16th July 69 C025

David

Hi Dave

If it is D856 Trojen it's a rare shot because the Southern men were only trained on the Swindon built Class 42 Warships there was a plan to train the Salisbury Drivers on the NBL Warships but it got dropped.

Nice to see the hydraulic photos.

Cheers Gareth

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521
  • Like 1