Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

A visit to Berwick on Tweed today, the most northerly town in England.

I once met a/the Berwick Rangers football supporter, who's team, as is well known, play in the Scottish football league, the view up there is that Berwick is the most southerly town not in Scotland!

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I once met a/the Berwick Rangers football supporter, who's team, as is well known, play in the Scottish football league, the view up there is that Berwick is the most southerly town not in Scotland!

Mike.

Berwick being in England or Scotland is just a matter of timing!

• RMweb Premium

love the pics of Berwick, when I was growing up we went to the big caravan site about every 2 yrs for holidays.

looking at J3705 (with the down cl.40), the site was in the distance just around that sweeping bend (Magdalene fields?). there was a path from the adjoining golf course which led over a small overbridge across the tracks. this was a great spot for watching (and listening to) northbound trains esp. the HSTs, as they were at full power after the station stop.

A time machine back to then (mid-late '70s)would be good to refresh the memories, as we only had the family instamatic with the one spool to last the holiday!

In the meantime, more pics of Berwick if you have them please Dave

Merry Christmas and thanks for all the pics

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

love the pics of Berwick, when I was growing up we went to the big caravan site about every 2 yrs for holidays.

looking at J3705 (with the down cl.40), the site was in the distance just around that sweeping bend (Magdalene fields?). there was a path from the adjoining golf course which led over a small overbridge across the tracks. this was a great spot for watching (and listening to) northbound trains esp. the HSTs, as they were at full power after the station stop.

A time machine back to then (mid-late '70s)would be good to refresh the memories, as we only had the family instamatic with the one spool to last the holiday!

In the meantime, more pics of Berwick if you have them please Dave

Merry Christmas and thanks for all the pics

There will be some more photos around Berwick on Tweed in due course.  

It only takes me about 75 minutes to drive there but I don't go there all that often - and I've no real idea why.

It may be because the A1 is not dual carriageway in the north of Northumberland so it can be fairly slow in summer.

David

Glorious shots of Berwick! It must be over 20 years since I last alighted there.

Just to echo the wishes of several other posters, as I shall be away for the next ten days (and having a mega-catch-up when I return!). Thank you, David, for the excellent entertainment that you provide for us and for the effort and diligence that you put in on a daily basis.

To you and to my fellow posters and lurkers, best wishes for a happy and peaceful Christmas and for a healthy and successful 2018. The railway will continue to change and develop (quite dramatically in many areas) next year but this thread provides a welcome dip back into, for many of us, our formative years - and revives many golden memories.

J3697 from the formation was the 08:45 Leeds-Edinburgh - The North Briton

J3699 from the formation was possibly the 08:55 Aberdeen-KX (09:00 before 6th May), but if taken on the same day as the above, the time would have to have been much later.

• RMweb Gold

J3697 from the formation was the 08:45 Leeds-Edinburgh - The North Briton

J3699 from the formation was possibly the 08:55 Aberdeen-KX (09:00 before 6th May), but if taken on the same day as the above, the time would have to have been much later.

Thanks Mark.  They were both taken on the same day, judging by the height of the water (which is tidal) they must have been taken  with half an hour or so of each other.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the WCML photos. The first one is a good photo of one of the class 84's of which I've not seen too many photos. I can't help noticing the pantograph fitted to the loco in the last photo. I'm not sure, but I don't think too many of them were fitted to class 86's. Its certainly a good photograph which has captured something potentially unique.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi, Dave. I like the WCML photos. The first one is a good photo of one of the class 84's of which I've not seen too many photos. I can't help noticing the pantograph fitted to the loco in the last photo. I'm not sure, but I don't think too many of them were fitted to class 86's. Its certainly a good photograph which has captured something potentially unique.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

There's a discussion (and more photos) on cross-arm pantographs on 86s somewhere on here...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68282-when-did-class-86-pantographs-change/

not unique.

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Kent and East Sussex Railway photos. They show what a varied collection of locomotives and rolling stock the railway had in the mid seventies. I like the smoke and steam in C3159 as NSB 19 climbs up Tenterden Bank, a very atmospheric shot. It’s good to see Maunsell coaches being used too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

More ER goodness, many thanks Dave....Chaloners Whin, is it where the line from Leeds joined the ECML...? (It's been a very long time since I traversed the area!)

It is indeed.   Of course it is no longer a junction as the lines diverge at Colton junction.

David

Now home to one of Yorks Park and Ride car parks and Tesco!

Mark Saunders

Thanks you so much for sharing those photos, I commuted through there many yeas later to college, the old YCAT which was just opposite the junction, now demolished and replaced with a housing estate and a new much nicer college. Thye bring back many memories of the place, both from those commutes and also spotting days traveling into York from Selby.

The old ECML between Chaloner's Whin and Selby is now a cycle path, but does have a nice scale model of the solar system. The Sun is about 10 feet across near the A64, then as you walk, or cycle towards Selby each planet and our moon is represented to scale, the earth is about 3/4 of a mile away and is the size of a large marble (1 inch). I have only got as far as Jupiter, but the outer planets take you past Escrick. They are marked on Google maps

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/york+selby+cycle+path+planets/@53.9077199,-1.1082752,14z?dcr=0

It is a nice walk on during the holidays if you wish to walk off some Christmas excess.

Happy Christmas Dave and all who enjoy this thread.

Love todays photos especially J657 with the brake tender. The garage reminds me of my dads old garage which looked just like that but had s Ford Anglia Van parked next to it back in the mid 70's.

I think the garage was a prefabricated one, the 'rays of the sun ' pattern being the company's trademark. For some reason, the name 'Atcost', or something similar, comes to mind. The Wolseley/ Riley would make a nice cameo, though I never remember one as colourful as that. 

Love todays photos especially J657 with the brake tender. The garage reminds me of my dads old garage which looked just like that but had s Ford Anglia Van parked next to it back in the mid 70's.

I do like a green EE Type 4 with discs. The dog was evidently not a trainspotter, nevertheless almost certainly a wagger!

I think the garage was a prefabricated one, the 'rays of the sun ' pattern being the company's trademark. For some reason, the name 'Atcost', or something similar, comes to mind. The Wolseley/ Riley would make a nice cameo, though I never remember one as colourful as that.

1092 EL is a Bournemouth registration and four numbers followed by two letters is a rare combination, apparently.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like those excellent photos of Chaloners Whin junction. They bring back many fond memories, but it was sad when the Hull to York service had to go that way round after the closure of the line through Market Weighton. I see the head code box on the class 110 unit may not be working correctly in J666. There are four dots instead of letters and numbers.

With warmest regards,

Rob.