RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a delightful set of photos from Hillmorton on the WCML. The way the early electric locos could chew the track up, makes me think the Mk1 coaches in that first photo could well be giving everyone a most lively ride!

And that’s not a lineside fire in that last photo? I hope it was nothing very serious.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a delightful set of photos from Hillmorton on the WCML. The way the early electric locos could chew the track up, makes me think the Mk1 coaches in that first photo could well be giving everyone a most lively ride!

And that’s not a lineside fire in that last photo? I hope it was nothing very serious.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I think it was something burning in the field further along, possibly old straw bales.

David

Although Electrics have never "floated my boat" with regards to modelling, your photos of them in the 70's are really nice to see David. thank you for sharing. There is a right mix of parcels stock in photo J4367, the 4th vehicle in being one of the rare LMS BG's painted in Blue/Grey livery.

Paul J.

Another fantastic set of ECML photos David. Thank you for posting. I love the cement train in J4087. A right old mix of wagon types. With regards to the 47 in C676, I don't think it is 1581. There is a suggestion of ETH fittings on the buffer beam, which would indicate one of the first 20 "Westinghouse" generator locos. Could it be a transposition error on the number and it is 1518 instead? I also think the 47 in J035 is a generator one as well, as there is a suggestion of an ETH cable beneath the RH buffer, but as to the number??????????

Thank you once again for sharing the photos with us, and best wishes for 2018, and even more photos.

Paul J.

I agree.  Both C676 and J035 are "generators" :yes:

I think it was something burning in the field further along, possibly old straw bales.

David

Probably the entire field being burnt. Stubble burning where grain crops had been grown was normal in the 1970s and 80s. Perceived as way to sterilise the top layer of soil, get the stubble broken down as a nutrient for the next crop and not requiring ploughing before replant. For many sensible reasons it was banned from 1993. Modelling a black rough field would be a useful way of giving a 'blue period' model a physical time line indicator. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stubble_burning

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hooray, another "Spot-the-Deltic" competition. Winnable, I reckon.

#19 Royal Highland Fusilier?

Keith

Just catching up after the holidays. Definitely not 19 as the nameplate font is that used on the GD examples. It looks like 9011 to me.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a fantastic set of photos of the Cambrian Coast line. The first three show just how scenic the line is, and at the same time, how exposed to the elements too. The last two photos show views, each way, of how Criccieth station was back in 2001. Surely a good candidate for someone to have a go at making a model of it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Those Mk1s would probably have been re-bogied with Commonwealth or B4 bogies to make then suitable for 100 MPH. BR1 bogies were (supposedly) restricted to 90.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Crianlarich photo's. The station has been well captured in all of them. The first one is particularly good, and full of Scottish atmosphere, and good details for model making.

There is quite a bit of permanent way material to be seen, and that adds to the atmosphere of the place.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

A belated Happy New Year to everyone. Now back and I've managed to spend the evening catching up on nearly two weeks of images.

Just a note on J656, from the Chaloners Whin batch:  it's interesting to see a picture of "Pinza" from that era, at the time when they were experimenting with relocating the Deltic horns for better audibility. "Pinza" was the guinea-pig for a modification that wasn't pursued with any other members of the fleet (all ultimately having them positioned on the top of the nose, at the outer edges of the windscreens). The experiment being trialled at this time with D9007 was to sink the horns into the nose in the upper corners on the front of the loco. ICBW but I believe that this modification was not repeated because use of the horns nearly blew the driver and secondman out of the cab (even worse if one of them was using the toilet in the leading nose end at the time!) - and it didn't greatly improve trackside audibility over them being by the buffer beam.

AFAIR I've only ever seen one other picture of number 7 in this condition (IIRC it had full yellow ends by that time) so your picture is particularly valuable for modellers of the period, David.

Edited by 35A

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Sunderland and Middlesbrough photos. It's good seeing class 101's hard at work, and the class 37 on empties at Pelaw Junction, in the first photo' is so nostalgic. In C5924, at Seaham, in January, 1983, you can see the track in the middle of the photo leading to a building. I'm not fully sure what the building is though. A goods warehouse or engine shed?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I was looking at another modellers passengers he had put in his coach, thinking to myself how many people wear bright red or yellow tops when traveling.....Have you shown C7139 before :mosking:

C7139 has only appeared once, but C7138 (16th November 2017, forum search works for it) is a Class 101 going the other way at the same location, with very similar passengers but the colour of their clothes are in a different order along the windows.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium

I was looking at another modellers passengers he had put in his coach, thinking to myself how many people wear bright red or yellow tops when traveling.....Have you shown C7139 before :mosking:

And blue rinse hair.......

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

A belated Happy New Year to everyone. Now back and I've managed to spend the evening catching up on nearly two weeks of images.

Just a note on J656, from the Chaloners Whin batch:  it's interesting to see a picture of "Pinza" from that era, at the time when they were experimenting with relocating the Deltic horns for better audibility. "Pinza" was the guinea-pig for a modification that wasn't pursued with any other members of the fleet (all ultimately having them positioned on the top of the nose, at the outer edges of the windscreens). The experiment being trialled at this time with D9007 was to sink the horns into the nose in the upper corners on the front of the loco. ICBW but I believe that this modification was not repeated because use of the horns nearly blew the driver and secondman out of the cab (even worse if one of them was using the toilet in the leading nose end at the time!) - and it didn't greatly improve trackside audibility over them being by the buffer beam.

AFAIR I've only ever seen one other picture of number 7 in this condition (IIRC it had full yellow ends by that time) so your picture is particularly valuable for modellers of the period, David.

Well spotted, I had missed that the first time. D9007 got full yellow ends and the first set of ETH equipment from Dec 1966 to January 1967, and only ran for 6 months in the condition shown in David's photo. The horns were removed and blue paint applied in September/October 1968; there are a few photos in green full yellow ends, but I have seen only two others with the small yellow ends.

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/0204.htm

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/7_23-8-66.htm