Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Today we have Birmingham New Street in 1979 and Silk Mill Junction in 1966.

Once again they are some of Dad's photos. He took the Birmingham photos while on his way to a business meeting in Exeter.

The 1966 photos were taken on the way either to or from a holiday in Appledore, North Devon to stay with some friends and go sailing. They are probably the only photos I have of hydraulics in BR service which I haven't posted earlier in this thread.

Taunton Silk Mill crossing Class 42 D827 Kelly down Aug 66 J577.jpg

Taunton Silk Mill crossing Class 42 D827 Kelly down Aug 66 J577

David

I'm giving this a bump because caption still reads D827. There are two good reasons why this is not correct:

1. The number is clearly D84-something.

2. D827 was never maroon!

No criticism of Dave intended.

Thanks for pointing out that I hadn't changed the caption.  Usually I do when someone points out my errors, in this case I clicked thanks on your post but was in a hurry as I had to be somewhere else and then forgot all about it when I got back home.

David

Edit - I have now changed it to D84x on the image you see when you go to the post, but cannot change the caption which appears on the enlarged photo if you click on it without deleting it and re uploading it which does not always work well.

David

Edited by DaveF

Thanks for pointing out that I hadn't changed the caption. Usually I do when someone points out my errors, in this case I clicked thanks on your post but was in a hurry as I had to be somewhere else and then forgot all about it when I got back home.

David

Edit - I have now changed it to D84x on the image you see when you go to the post, but cannot change the caption which appears on the enlarged photo if you click on it without deleting it and re uploading it which does not always work well.

David

Thanks, I believe we can do better than D84x, though. When I plumped for D842 I hadn't checked which D84x carried maroon and there were only four: D840/2/4/8.

The third digit in the photo is different from the others which rules out D844/8 and looks like '2' to me, as it has a horizontal at the bottom. A '0' would be quite easy to spot, I think. In summary, it would be safe to say "probably D842."

Sorry for being so fussy but there might not be another Warship to identify.

Edited by Western Glory
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, I believe we can do better than D84x, though. When I plumped for D842 I hadn't checked which D84x carried maroon and there were only four: D840/2/4/8.

The third digit in the photo is different from the others which rules out D844/8 and looks like '2' to me, as it has a horizontal at the bottom. A '0' would be quite easy to spot, I think. In summary, it would be safe to say "probably D842."

Sorry I thought I had already posted. Not D842 - went from green into MSYP in October 1966, after Dave's photo (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/63244-warship-liveries/?p=830456) and the nameplate looks like one word not two. When I enlarge the photo, it clearly shows as D848.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

Sorry I thought I had already posted. Not D842 I think - the nameplate looks like one word not two. When I enlarge the photo, it clearly shows as D848.

Below is an enlargement from the scan of the image which might make things clearer.

post-5613-0-92402200-1539334812_thumb.jpg

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Below is an enlargement from the scan of the image which might make things clearer.

attachicon.gif577.jpg

David

I've since amended my post because I found the livery info on here. D842 went into MSYP in 10/66, so after the date of Dave's photo. To my eyes, your enlargement, as with mine, looks like D848 from the options available. The loco also looks quite shiny, which would be consistent with D848 being painted marron in June 1966, two months before Dave's photo.

Edited by brushman47544

More great stuff, thanks for sharing Dave... J6782 of the High Level Bridge walkway is very 'Get Carter', even ten years after the film was shot (Summer of 1970) ;)

Summer of 1969, surely; in the gunfight on the Wallsend Ferry scene, The Esso Northumbria is still fitting out. She left the Tyne late 69/early 70, didn't she?

More great stuff, thanks for sharing Dave... J6782 of the High Level Bridge walkway is very 'Get Carter', even ten years after the film was shot (Summer of 1970) ;)

That's why I recognise it, I was thinking I had walked the bridge but couldn't think why, my only time trainspotting in Newcastle was spent in the station - there was an 03 it was so long ago.

Also it was used at the very end of 'Our friends in the North'.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle photo’s which capture how the station and area was all those years ago so perfectly. In C7681, with 143016 on a Newcastle to Hexham service, on 29th July, 1986, the Pacer will soon be no more, which makes the photo’ of historical interest. Indeed, soon, none of the trains, in the photo’s will be in service on today’s railway any longer including the HST in the last photo’ except for limited services in places such as Scotrail. Thank goodness you took these photo’s when you did.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Summer of 1969, surely; in the gunfight on the Wallsend Ferry scene, The Esso Northumbria is still fitting out. She left the Tyne late 69/early 70, didn't she?

No, definitely shot in July, August and September of '70, the director Mike Hodges was given Ted Lewis's novel 'Jacks Return Home' in March that year and signed up for the film two weeks later, the film was based on the book. The film took about forty days to shoot during those three months over the Summer, about four or five days of which were spent shooting the Wallsend scenes. (Steve Chobnal's excellent book on the making of the film has the actual shooting dates for each scene, taken from the production 'call sheets'  ;) ).

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Premium

That's why I recognise it, I was thinking I had walked the bridge but couldn't think why, my only time trainspotting in Newcastle was spent in the station - there was an 03 it was so long ago.

Also it was used at the very end of 'Our friends in the North'.

Actually it was the Tyne Bridge at the end of the final episode where Geordie is seen walking south across it.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photo’s, which are a great selection. What a lovely and bucolic scene in J3912, with the Fort George branch line remains in August, 1974. Those cattle would be a great sight on a Scottish layout.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the larger photo.

Greyscale, negative, 200% horizontal stretch

attachicon.gifD842.png

Greyscale, negative, 200% horizontal stretch, 50% magnification

attachicon.gifD842-50%.png

I'm still plumping for D842! :)

I agree in these images the last digit looks less like an 8 but it doesn’t look more like a 2 either. But how do you reconcile the livery with the date? As recorded in the Warship Liveries thread in Special Interests http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/63244-warship-liveries/?p=830456, D842 wasn’t painted maroon until after the date of the photo... Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

I agree in these images the last digit looks less like an 8 but it doesn’t look more like a 2 either. But how do you reconcile the livery with the date? As recorded in the Warship thread in Special Interests, D842 wasn’t painted maroon until after the date of the photo...

I've had another look at the image and really cannot make up my mind about the number.

I've also checked the date, it is definitely August 1966.  I had just started to learn to drive so the holiday with Mum and Dad remains clear in my memory, as I was  allowed to do some of the driving in Dad's brand new Morris 1100 - a big change from his previous car, a Jaguar MkIX - which he had decided I was not going to learn to drive in.

I did get to drive a Jaguar as a learner though, our next door neighbour had a Jaguar Mk2 3.4 which he let me drive under his supervision quite often.  He had been a fighter pilot in WW2 and saw nothing to worry about in letting a 17 year old drive a powerful car.

David

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hello, everyone. That Warship is certainly of much interest trying to decipher its number. I’ve looked, and looked st all the images of that number. I can only really add that it could be a 3. I’m probably wrong! It’s certainly interesting trying to work it out, and, hopefully, the skills involved will help us all when it comes to model making.

Best regards,

Rob.

Hello, everyone. That Warship is certainly of much interest trying to decipher its number. I’ve looked, and looked st all the images of that number. I can only really add that it could be a 3. I’m probably wrong! It’s certainly interesting trying to work it out, and, hopefully, the skills involved will help us all when it comes to model making.

Best regards,

Rob.

It can't be a three Rob, D843 was never maroon  ;)

• RMweb Gold

Morning David, great pictures is the vehicle next tov the peckett some kind of EMU vehicle?, incidentally did the peckett actually run there as it seems to have its own 3ft gauge track

I don't think the Peckett ever ran there, but cannot be certain.

The coach next to the Peckett is from an emu.  It is either 29666 or 29670 from the Altrincham line (MSJ&AR).

David