Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave, those are an excellent selection of class 40 photo's at Pilmoor. I really do like that first one, where D259 is hauling 04 D2339. D259 has a typical coating of weathering, which I hope to copy onto one of the lovely Bachmann models (the Sun is at just the right angle for this photo). More please, Dave.

All the best,

Market65.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Gold

Methinks the Class 40 is hauling a Class 04, not an 03.

Peter

You are right.  Caption amended.

Many thanks,

David

Amended as I've looked up the number series

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave, a great selection of WCML electric loco's. Reminds me of a story of Mk1 BG's on express passenger services on the WCML, where, owing to the state of the track back in 1979/1980 the BG's, in-spite of being fitted with B4 bogies, would really be crashing and banging about at anything over about 60 mph. I think it got into a contempory edition of Modern Railways. Please keep these great photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

Great to see these photos from my neck of the woods. Isn't the train in J5083 heading north though?

Graham

Sorry,

Typing error now corrected.

David

Judging by the length of the parcels train behind that 31 at Swayfield, I suspect that it is 3E09 which was a feature of Sunday afternoons on the southern half of the ECML.

However, I have no idea whether your photo was taken on a Sunday, so I might be talking nonsense. Anyway, I believe that the train originated at Leeds and usually loaded to between 30 and 35 assorted GUVs and BGs.

Occasionally, a Deltic was seen on the train but almost anything could turn up.

• RMweb Gold

Judging by the length of the parcels train behind that 31 at Swayfield, I suspect that it is 3E09 which was a feature of Sunday afternoons on the southern half of the ECML.

However, I have no idea whether your photo was taken on a Sunday, so I might be talking nonsense. Anyway, I believe that the train originated at Leeds and usually loaded to between 30 and 35 assorted GUVs and BGs.

Occasionally, a Deltic was seen on the train but almost anything could turn up.

Jonny,

Many thanks for this.

At the time I usually only noted the month and year.  As it was January and on ECML I must have been visiting my parents during my University Christmas break.  It could have been any day of the week as Dad  being a teacher had a longish break which went into the new year.  I'd have been with him in his car, students generally didn't have cars then.

David

Edited to sort out my grammar.

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium

C715 with 1914 at swayfield, seems to be 1E13

The '71/‘72 WTT at napier-chronicles has this as the 11.50 Edinburgh-kings cross.

Newcastle-KX trains would've been 1Axx

Great pics as always Dave, always like the late '60s/early '70s ones

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave, excellent photo's of a  very famous section of the ECML. In the second photo of class 47 1914, from Newcastle to Kings Cross, Sept' '71, I've noticed that there are no less than four Mk1 CK's in the formation. I wonder if this might be down to a shortage of suitable Mk1 all first-class coaches? Please keep these wonderful photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave, excellent photo's of a very famous section of the ECML. In the second photo of class 47 1914, from Newcastle to Kings Cross, Sept' '71, I've noticed that there are no less than four Mk1 CK's in the formation. I wonder if this might be down to a shortage of suitable Mk1 all first-class coaches? Please keep these wonderful photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

Had a further look into this train. The '71/72 ECML CWN from robertcwp's Yahoo group has 1E13 as 11.50 Edinburgh-KX, Friday only 11/6 - 24/9 and Saturday only 12/6 - 25/9 ( the SO is listed as 1E31 by mistake)

Friday train is loco + TSO FK RMB 5TSO BSK

Saturday train is loco + BSO CK CK RU 5SK BSO

So it would seem to be more like the Saturday train with a BSK instead of BSO and couple of CK in place of SK.

What's useful about trains like these is they're more easily modellable in terms of stock than what we often think of ECML expresses with lots of first class and kitchen cars etc.

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

David, the Peak on 1L34 might well be a Cl.46

Cl.45s were much more rare birds along this stretch of the ECML. Are you sure it's 109?

Peter,

Thanks for pointing that out - I've had another look at my notes, and those of dad who was also there.  Somehow I typed 109 when I captioned the scan, it is 190 in both my and dad's notes, which of course makes it a Class 46.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of Edinburgh Waverley. Very atmospheric indeed and lots of detail to be seen for those who are modelling the station. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.