Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Pardon my ignorance Dave, but what has Scremerston got that warrants an ice cream van, or is it your own personal trailer?!

Mike.

Several small parking areas - we don't go in for many big beach car parks in Northumberland, we just park on the verge!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Good photo's of Dry Doddington and I particularly like the last one of the class 31 on an up ballast in May '82. I would also like to relate a short tale about the Austin 1100, before I forget! In the late '70's one of my Aunt's, who owned one, was one day driving through part of Beverley when she was stung by a Bee, and sadly crashed it into a post. Auntie was OK but she never drove again, and the little Austin was a write-off. Anyway, thank you again for the photo's and the memories that they are bringing back.

All the best,

Market65.

Hi Dave, J473 I'm struggling to recognise as Collingham. Not the station crossing for sure, too angled and no station building behind if the train is heading towards Lincoln. The angle suggests where the A1133 crosses the line, but I thought there was small crossing box right by the crossing. I also remember it as a fairly wide road, I wouldn't have gone over it before 1971 though maybe widened in the meantime?

A little story about Morris 1100s if I may? Not long after they were first launched my uncle found a leaflet for a competition to win one. Run by a toilet roll company, Andrex perhaps? To enter you had to guess how many toilet rolls there were crammed into a Morris 1100. He guessed and won the car, salmon pink, I think, 282VKM, still remember the reg number after over 50 years! My first car was a Mk2 version 10 years later.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave, J473 I'm struggling to recognise as Collingham. Not the station crossing for sure, too angled and no station building behind if the train is heading towards Lincoln. The angle suggests where the A1133 crosses the line, but I thought there was small crossing box right by the crossing. I also remember it as a fairly wide road, I wouldn't have gone over it before 1971 though maybe widened in the meantime?

A little story about Morris 1100s if I may? Not long after they were first launched my uncle found a leaflet for a competition to win one. Run by a toilet roll company, Andrex perhaps? To enter you had to guess how many toilet rolls there were crammed into a Morris 1100. He guessed and won the car, salmon pink, I think, 282VKM, still remember the reg number after over 50 years! My first car was a Mk2 version 10 years later.

I'm not sure which one it is either, as it is one of Dad's photos and I wasn't there.   His detailed notes say Collingham Lane End Crossing, which is not a name listed in the Sectional Appendix (though mine is a later copy).  I suspect it is the A1133 crossing, but as it is a tight shot I suspect that any box is not visible.  

He would have the location right as he knew Collingham very well having originally come from the area and visited Collingham often as his boss lived there and at one time his parents also lived there.  I think he was actually born there too!

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What great photo's, especially of the 9F and the 8F.

What a shame about missing out on those Working Timetables etc. They would have been of such historical interest today.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Good to see more of the High Dyke branch. Fascinating to see that gradient in the last photo'. The driver would have to have been careful inspite of vacuum brake-fitted wagons. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

I couldn't help but be amused at the Reliant Regal's boot being open on the Skillington and Sproxton road level crossing ore loading Class 31 5675 June 73 J3219 photo - was it queuing up to load a wagon too? ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Interesting to see the different livery variations between the class 121 and the class 117 DMU's. Great photo's as always, and please keep them coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some good photo's of the Cambrian Coast line today. The one at Criccieth, in August '72, has, in addition to the class 101, a class 103 Park Royal unit. A particularly good 'wild' view of the class 120 at Ynyslas on 7th August,1979. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

One of those little places i always meant to visit. I'm guessing because i have the panel with built in keylock instrument that it must be barriers now?

When I moved away in 1980 the gates were there, I haven't been back since - Northumberland is a long way away.

David

• RMweb Gold

C1993.  Lovely picture of a class 306 in action, a massively under-photographed class...   What does the head-code 03 signify?

Bill

Sadly the GE line to Chelmsford and beyond is one for which I've never been able to get a working timetable, so I don't know.

According to a very old (pre decimal days) Ian Allan Headcode abc 02 was used for trains from Shenfield to Chelmsford and 03 for the corresponding up trains, so perhaps it is a development of that, but I'd like to know the real answer too.

Edit.  I've had a quick look at some of my other photos of 306s in the area, they all show 02 in the down direction and 03 in the up direction, so I suspect this one is showing the wrong code and that 02 is in fact down trains to Chelmsford.

David

Edited by DaveF