Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Now for a visit to Paddington in Network South East days.  I was in London as I was flying to Zurich for a months holiday the next day.  It seems like yesterday, yet it was actually 26 years ago.

attachicon.gifPaddington 47582 County of Norfolk 27th July 88 C9585.jpg

Paddington 47582 County of Norfolk 27th July 88 C9585

As someone who hates NSE livery, the named Class 31 in railfreight grey sneaking into the background of this photo looks far more interesting - and unusual at Paddington by that time.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

As someone who hates NSE livery, the named Class 31 in railfreight grey sneaking into the background of this photo looks far more interesting - and unusual at Paddington by that time.

I've enlarged the 31 in Photoshop, it's just possible to make out the first letter of each word on the nameplate, they begin A and F.

Therefore the loco must be 31 296 Amlwch Freighter (the nameplate on the other side is Tren Nwyddau Amlwych)  In 1988, according to my Platform 5 book it was in grey.

I've no idea what it was doing there.

Now for the admission.  In all the times I've looked at the photo, including working on it for the web, I'd never even noticed there was a 31 in the background. In fact I probably never even noticed it on the day or I would have photographed it.

post-5613-0-60537500-1403516987_thumb.jpg

Edit - photo enlargement added

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 3

C1993.  Lovely picture of a class 306 in action, a massively under-photographed class...   What does the head-code 03 signify?

Bill

This probably doesn't help, and I'm by no means a headcode-expert, but it's almost certainly a Chelmsford headcode. Despite being 70mph units they had booked work out to Chelmsford and Witham IIRC, so probably one of these workings. They've also formed reliefs in the past, can't remember where I read it but during one period of disruption, 3 sets made it at least as far as Colchester in BR service, so they were regulars East of Shenfield at least. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's of Oban. I love the one of the 'Mexican Bean' class 104 DMU. The two class 37's in the tree-lined cutting is a truly superb shot. Love this set of photo's. Please keep them coming.

All the best,

Market65.

Hi Dave,

Just noticed that on image C8087, when hovering the mouse over the image, the name is 

"Oban left 37012, right 37409 Glasgow to Oban 11th Oct 86 C8087.jpg"

but your caption is the other way around.

"Oban right 37012, left 37409 Glasgow to Oban 11th Oct 86 C8087"

Great photo's.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Just noticed that on image C8087, when hovering the mouse over the image, the name is 

"Oban left 37012, right 37409 Glasgow to Oban 11th Oct 86 C8087.jpg"

but your caption is the other way around.

"Oban right 37012, left 37409 Glasgow to Oban 11th Oct 86 C8087"

Great photo's.

Dave

After uploading I noticed the caption had left and right reversed, the caption below the image is correct.  

David

Edited by DaveF

The 1100 came out two or three years after the Mini; subsequently to appear with 1100 and 1300cc engines, and with badge-engineered derivatives (Wolseley and Riley with walnut dashes, the later with twin carbs).

(i)  - They were disproportionately popular with teachers at late 1960s Welsh grammar schools.

(ii) - The front subframes had an unfortunate tendency to collapse; the Minix model replicated this well...

(i) -  Agreed - the poor unfortunate soul destined to teach me 'tech drawing' had one of the derivatives, the registration being RWO ???G. 

(ii) - Or in my case, the rear sub-frame of my Clubman YTX551H - broken whilst negotiating roadworks in Cardiff (and fracturing the hydrolastic pipes as well) . I approached the contractors about covering the cost of my repairs - they refused - I then let them know I worked for South Glam Highways, and our records showed they didn't have an 'opening up order' and had dug up the carriageway without permission - reluctantly, the reimbursed me the cost of the replacement, which came very cheaply care of Bill Way (a Cardiff legend).

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 3

I wonder what the story behind that mixed parcels/ Freightliner service was? I recollect there being several timetabled mixed Freightliner/ Speedlink services, but never anything like this.

Yes that has caught my interest too. Air brake GUV's or vacuum braked flats?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. That class 47 hauled mix of GUV's, Mk1 BSK, and the Freightliner flats is certainly most interesting. I think that the train would probably be air-braked - but I could be wrong!  Anyway, a good selection of photo's of Pirbright Junction, April, 1971. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

Yes that has caught my interest too. Air brake GUV's or vacuum braked flats?

I've never heard of vac-fitted Freightliner flats ; some were fitted with vac-pipes (and through steam pipes) for traffic on the Far North line. More likely that the GUVs (and the Mk 1 brake) were air-braked.

• RMweb Gold

I've never heard of vac-fitted Freightliner flats ; some were fitted with vac-pipes (and through steam pipes) for traffic on the Far North line. More likely that the GUVs (and the Mk 1 brake) were air-braked.

Looking at the photo over the years I have sometimes wondered if it was a MoD working.

Another possibility could be a test working - Derby RTC?

David

Edited to add a thought.

David

Edited by DaveF

I'm sure i came across a dual braked one somewhere, Hitchin Stockyard maybe? It was in a tunnel inspection train. Something in the back of my mind hints at a bullion flat?

I'm sure i came across a dual braked one somewhere, Hitchin Stockyard maybe? It was in a tunnel inspection train. Something in the back of my mind hints at a bullion flat?

The bullion flats were former coach underframes, converted to carry containers from the Bank of England (via Stratford FLT) to the various regional branches. They were airbrake-only when built, but may have been piped later. I saw them at Tyneside Freight Terminal a few times; the trains were normally a Courier Van and one or two flats, each with one container. Here's a link to a view of an empty one:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brnpccs/h2e922a70#h2e922a70

The containers were not Freightliner-liveried ones, IIRC, though neither were they branded prominently with anything else..

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. That class 47 hauled mix of GUV's, Mk1 BSK, and the Freightliner flats is certainly most interesting. I think that the train would probably be air-braked - but I could be wrong!  Anyway, a good selection of photo's of Pirbright Junction, April, 1971. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

The post and packages from St Helena came in very infrequently, ISTR that special trains were run to Waterloo to deliver it to London. Could it be one of these workings?

Mike.

The post and packages from St Helena came in very infrequently, ISTR that special trains were run to Waterloo to deliver it to London. Could it be one of these workings?

Mike.

'That Mr Bonoparte's been writing to the Guardian again, Fred..'

Would there really be that much mail from St Helena? I got the impression there weren't that many folk living there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mike.

That ran through Avonmouth at one time and it was simply run as additional vans(s) on booked trains - the quantity was not great and certainly wouldn't justify 3xGUVs and a BSK(?).  

The working is clearly a special - assuming the headcode is correct of course - and the state of the GUVs suggests they might be ex-works although there are some very clean vehicles in the boat train in the other picture.  I'm not aware that the Southern ran any trains which mixed Freightliner flats with passenger stock but it was done elsewhere.  The containers look to be standard Freightliner boxes and it is as near impossible as it can get to divine their contents although they could at that date probably only have been easily loaded at Southampton to be on a train in that position - could be a trial, could be some sort of special traffic, could be anything, coeld possibly have come from Marchwood; simple answer is we don't know and probably never will but it's an interesting formation.

• RMweb Premium

Could it (or part of it) be a special working from Eastleigh works? Would explain the clean GUVs!

Rob

Mike.

The Z in the headcode would certainly suggest a special working. But wouldn't infrequent post and packages trains still have a Q path in the Working Timetable and a "normal" headcode, the letter depending on destination?

• Like 1