Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What fantastic photo's these are. It's always good to see the 'ordinary' loco's and trains at their daily work. Please keep them coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

A few more from Morpeth last Friday, more old ones later.

post-5613-0-67166100-1402323801_thumb.jpg

Morpeth 82215 up ex pass 6th June 2014

post-5613-0-48976400-1402323808_thumb.jpg

Morpeth 142095 ecs leaving sidings to station

post-5613-0-05363800-1402323817_thumb.jpg

Morpeth 221123 down ex pass 6th June 2014

post-5613-0-73130400-1402323822_thumb.jpg

Morpeth 43314 down ex pass 6th June 2014  taken going away.

David

• Like 12

A few of Newcastle this evening.  Just ordinary locos doing a normal days work

Newcastle Class 31 up vans and brake van Jan 84 C6364

Heading south over the King Edward Bridge.  Gateshead MPD beyond.

Edited to add a bit.

David

Lovely shots as always David, especiaily BR Blue, my era.

Is the class 31 returning from Rowntrees at Coxlodge I wonder?

Some photos of that trip have a brake van with the Cov-ABs, and also i remember there were a few wagons in the Rowtrees pool with white roofs,

presumably an attempt to keep the contents cooler I wonder

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

Lovely shots as always David, especiaily BR Blue, my era.

Is the class 31 returning from Rowntrees at Coxlodge I wonder?

Some photos of that trip have a brake van with the Cov-ABs, and also i remember there were a few wagons in the Rowtrees pool with white roofs,

presumably an attempt to keep the contents cooler I wonder

cheers

Almost certainly the Coxlodge trip; as you say, the VDAs used on this traffic had white-painted roofs (and one was white all-over) to reduce solar gain. I think there may have been additional insulation as well. There were a few VBAs (10 against 100+), which I think were used to carry packaging. The brake van would have been needed if there were coal hoppers for the boilers at Rowntree's; I think the trip also served the ICI explosives depot at Black Callington occasionally.

Nice to see the photos of Cramlington station as I remember it in my early train sporting days.

Still live in Cramlington - station has changed a lot since those mid 80s photos. Long gone is the goods shed and station building replaced with a bus shelter. Looking at photo J8397 of the north bound platform even the Railway Tavern pub seen behind the platform shelter has been demolished and replaced by a nursing home. Then there is the overhead catenary now also.

I also remember Mick - he worked at Newcastle after Cramlington ceased to be a manned station. l seem to recall him being awarded something (MBE or OBE)in the Queen's honours list at some time.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see the photos of Cramlington station as I remember it in my early train sporting days.

Still live in Cramlington - station has changed a lot since those mid 80s photos. Long gone is the goods shed and station building replaced with a bus shelter. Looking at photo J8397 of the north bound platform even the Railway Tavern pub seen behind the platform shelter has been demolished and replaced by a nursing home. Then there is the overhead catenary now also.

I also remember Mick - he worked at Newcastle after Cramlington ceased to be a manned station. l seem to recall him being awarded something (MBE or OBE)in the Queen's honours list at some time.

David

Parking in the station car park is almost impossible now during the day as well.  If I go to take photos I park near the nursing home.

David

• RMweb Gold

On the Southern in London for this evening.

post-5613-0-27786100-1402338427_thumb.jpg

Waterloo Class 405 4SUB 4699 Waterloo to Whitton March 75 J4186

It says Whitton in Dad's notes - where on earth is it?

I've remembered now -  in Twickenham - but is that really the destination of a train?  Perhaps you can tell I don't know the London area well.

post-5613-0-46379400-1402338431_thumb.jpg

Waterloo Class 423 7717 New line for Guildford via Oxshott 11th March 78 C3705

post-5613-0-36370800-1402338435_thumb.jpg

Vauxhall Class 421 7417  Waterloo to Redaing from another train July 79 J6533

Amended - I had typed the caption from the next of dad's photos in error, sorry. 

post-5613-0-80472100-1402338423_thumb.jpg

Waterloo Class 50 50007 Sir Edward Elgar 27th July 88 C9578

post-5613-0-35697800-1402338419_thumb.jpg

Waterloo Class 33 33116 27th July 88 C9580

David

Edited to say I do really know where Whitton is.

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19

On the Southern in London for this evening.

attachicon.gifa Waterloo Class 405 4SUB 4699 Waterloo to Whitton March 75 J4186.jpg

Waterloo Class 405 4SUB 4699 Waterloo to Whitton March 75 J4186

It says Whitton in Dad's notes - where on earth is it?

I've remembered now -  in Twickenham - but is that really the destination of a train?  Perhaps you can tell I don't know the London area well.

David

Edited to say I do really know where Whitton is.

Is the train running clockwise around the Hounslow loop, Whitton would be a more logical destination on the departure screens

than Waterloo where the train will end up.

An anti-clockwise service for the Hounslow Loop could then be described as for Hounslow?

cheers 

C3705: lovely shot of a 4-Vep carrying a proper unit number in the 77XX series.  Can somebody please identify the 42 head-code?     J6533: this looks like a 4-Cig, the head-code doesn't look familiar for a train from Bournemouth?  

Keep posting these beauties...

Bill

• RMweb Gold

C3705: lovely shot of a 4-Vep carrying a proper unit number in the 77XX series.  Can somebody please identify the 42 head-code?     J6533: this looks like a 4-Cig, the head-code doesn't look familiar for a train from Bournemouth?  

Keep posting these beauties...

Bill

It's Class 421 (4CIG)  No 7417 as you suggest, supposedly on a Reading to Waterloo train - I simply typed the caption from the next image in Dad's catalogue by mistake.  According to my copy of Southern Electric Group headcodes book(1978)  it should be a Waterloo - Oxshott - Effingham Junc or Guildford, so I think Dad's notes may be wrong.

Edited by DaveF

David

Hi David. Yes, I remember his Royal visit too...showed me the letter, was really chuffed. Remember his 3 blue 3 wheeler? Had a couple of trips in that, surprised I lived to tell the tale......

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave, such great EMU photo's, not forgetting the 33 and 50. Happy holiday memories here for me in the '70's, along the South Coast. The 4SUB in the rain reminds me of a Porter at Victoria, who, when asked, said, ''Do not get on board this train to Brighton, it is only going part of the way. Catch that train over there''. It was a 4CIG.  Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

My favourite is the Cravens bug units in Preston East Lancs. I can just about remember that line closing and the trains going round Farington Curve into the main station.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

C3705 4-VEP is a New Line service to Guildford via Oxshott. J6533 is a train on the Down Windsor - look at the angle of the sun lighting this side of the train, and all those big buildings alongside the Thames behind it. It is just coming through Vauxhall en route Reading.