Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's today of the ECML. Interesting to see, in the first photo', a view of a three car 101 DMU. It is one of those  that were transferred from the NER of BR to the ER in, I think, the late '60's. I find the PW train interesting as well, with a crane at the rear of the train - cannot quite make out if the crane is steam or diesel. Please keep these photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

David,

I don't think the Cl.47 is 47229 (a Cl.47/0) as it looks to be an ETH-fitted Cl.47/4.

Peter

Many thanks for the information.  In that case it could be 47429, but I cannot read the number on a higher res scan, but I think the last 2 numbers are right - Dad usually remembered the last figures but sometimes wrote down the wrong first figure!.

David

• RMweb Premium

The train 47429 is on, 1E22, is given on napier-chronicles as the 11.30 Edinburgh-KX (11.40 Saturdays)

any Leeds-KX service would have 1Axx

Keep 'em coming Dave, I was too young to experience these LH trains (HSTs were more my era)

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave, good photo's of, if I may say so, a station which I find lifeless. However, I like that view of the class 31 and its weathering. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

A few now from today.  This morning was spent at the site of Plawsworth station on the ECML between Durham and Chester le Street.  This is a small sample of the photos I took.

post-5613-0-76901200-1404248588_thumb.jpg

Plawsworth 91103 down 

post-5613-0-26554000-1404248594_thumb.jpg

Plawsworth 185102 up

post-5613-0-91395900-1404248597_thumb.jpg

Plawsworth Class 43 down

post-5613-0-34005200-1404248601_thumb.jpg

Plawsworth 185149 up

post-5613-0-99875700-1404248604_thumb.jpg

Plawsworth 221 up

David

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A very interesting second selection of photo's of the current day ECML. You've captured the line most magnificently, with some truly striking views. Please keep these great photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What great photo's of the Kyle of Lochalsh line, and , yes that photo' of the line crossing the River Bran is most delightful. I love to see the Scottish scenery, and the way the railway makes its way through it. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

I like the look of Garve for a nice wee layout - the staggered platforms and goods loop make an interesting change from the more usual opposite/island platforms.

If you had a yard off the loop, you could focus the action on there and have the 'main' line almost as a background interest

For those interested, there was a trackplan and modelling notes (including drawings of the buildings if I recall) in a number of issues of "Model Railway News" c1959.

Although a "wee layout", to quote Keefer above, it does illustrate how spacious country stations are compared to their more urban brethren.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. You've managed to capture, in the photo' at Polesworth, behind a class 40, a very important type of ex-LMS carriage. It is the first carriage behind the 40, and is a D1850 BCK, which dates from 1932/33. This was the first Period lll design by Stanier, and also of note, are the shallow window ventilators. It really is great that this has been captured by your Father and it shows how LMS period lll carriages developed through to the final 'Porthole' stock.

Wonderful to see the other photo's as well, and please do keep these terrific photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

Dave/Market,

I was going to ask about the first few coaches behind the loco as I could see that they were LMS types but didn't know which ones. As I was just today glueing discs onto the front of a named, green SYP Lima class 40, I thought it would be interesting to try and re-create the train in Dave's wonderful photo. A Stanier BCK is something I don't have though. :scratchhead:

Never mind. :scratchhead:

Thanks anyway. 

And Dave, any number of colour shots from the 60's is never too many. I lived in LMR land at this time so shots like the Brit under the wires are truly wonderful.

Cheers

Graham

Edited by dagrizz

• RMweb Gold

Sarfend today, a quick look at the Tilbury line trains.  Although I lived in Basildon for about six years I didn't go into Southend very often, I preferred Leigh on Sea (am I splitting hairs?) and other railway places in Essex.

post-5613-0-26653600-1404495909_thumb.jpg

Southend Central 302285 down pass Sept 76 C3020

post-5613-0-58408200-1404495904_thumb.jpg

Southend Central 302273 up pass Sept 76 C3021

post-5613-0-27048300-1404495914_thumb.jpg

Southend Central 308313 down pass May79 C4481

Sometimes it rains in Essex and the light is dreadful.

post-5613-0-20473900-1404495922_thumb.jpg

Southend East Class 31 in parcels platforms June 75 C2128

It takes a lot of practice to make sure you can't see the loco number.  I'm not quite sure why the blue looks an odd shade, the loco was the usual rail blue.

post-5613-0-04139300-1404495919_thumb.jpg

Southend East 302279 up pass sunrise Oct 79 C4841

I remember taking this one.  I'd just dropped my Citroen Dyane off at the local Citroen garage for a service and was going to work in Basildon by train.

David

• Like 18

Dave I preferred Leigh On Sea cockles seafood etc and it was a lot less busy than Southend and it was only one stop from Benfleet or a ride on the bus ,funny the weather always seemed sunny whem I was young although Southend pier on a foggy day had a certain something! Nice pics.

I was looking at the atmospheric photos of Gave it all looks so peaceful was it here in steam days that the chap in charge had a long white beard I saw him in a dvd on the line some time ago typical of the characters around then.