Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, DaveF, great to see the photo's of Leicester. Many summer extras to Bridlington and the East Coast of Yorkshire came through from Leicester. Included in them were Class 45's and Class 120 DMU's. Many thanks for these latest thought provoking photo's.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Sobering to note that Leicester, like a number of other key stations, had an overall roof, gone between your pair of pics in '75 and '77. I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that sort of thing, which your pics so often show, and for which I'm always grateful. It isn't just the trains that have changed.

Thanks for the Barking shots used to change there when going to South Benfleet from Leyton Midland (on a workmens ticket ,my mum used to be worried we would get caught but we never were) I am watching a dvd on the Southend line right now not a great deal of change really.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, DaveF, another excellent set of photo's. Good to see the Newton Chambers car carriers, saw them myself at York when there in the late '60's. Also that class 120 DMU seems to have a plain blue trailer buffet car, which I think is quite rare.

Regarding the ex-LMS BG, the reason for the plain blue livery is that being non-passenger coaching stock, such vehicles were not given the 'inter-city' blue & grey. I think this is covered in the Mark1 carriage book, when liveries are being discussed.

Please do keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

Edited by Market65

a bonus feature tonight!

A friend  e mailed me just after tea to ask if I had any photos of trains containing the Newton Chambers car carriers used on the ECML.

Once I'd sorted them out and sent them off I thought I put them on here.  Some are sharper than others.

They are not the normal Mk1 shape, they were 60' long and the body shape was different.  The original version was a bogie wagon design, this version had a coach body fitted with fibreglass roof panels.  2 cars fitted into the well between the bogies, which were lowered into position by  a hydraulic lift in each coach.  Four cars (or five small ones) fitted on the upper deck.  The coaches met RIV regulations and could be used on the continent via rail ferries.  The anchor can just about be made out on the side of one coach at York.

attachicon.gifYork car carriers on Kings X to Edinburgh train Aug 65 J225.jpg

York car carriers on Kings X to Edinburgh train Aug 65 J225

attachicon.gifPilmoor Class 47 D1516 up car carrier Edinburgh to Kings X Sept 65 J379.jpg

Pilmoor Class 47 D1516 up car carrier Edinburgh to Kings X Sept 65 J379

Southern Pride do kits of these in 4mm

What an epic set of pictures...    Where does one start in appreciating them (Mike has already noted the magnificent Midland distant :-) )?? .    Any idea what the working from the suburban platforms with head-code 1P66 is in picture J4033?   Oh to be transported back to King's Cross to see, hear and smell a Deltic clagging the place up as it departs...

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Hi, daveF, what a terrific set of photo's of Kings Cross. You just do not get Deltics, 40's, 31's and 47's all working in and out of the station as in your photo's anymore. The DMU's are now largely EMU's. Times really have changed - seeing these photo's just emphases by how much. I nearly forgot that we still do have the HST's running. That last photo of the memorial is very moving indeed - to die so young - very sad.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

What an epic set of pictures...    Where does one start in appreciating them (Mike has already noted the magnificent Midland distant :-) )?? .    Any idea what the working from the suburban platforms with head-code 1P66 is in picture J4033?   Oh to be transported back to King's Cross to see, hear and smell a Deltic clagging the place up as it departs...

Bill

Sadly I don't have a working timetable for that  period.

In the fairly early days of four character headcodes "P" on Great Northern Lines denoted the destination area as being Barton/New Holland/Immingham - but all those sound unlikely with a Class 1 headcode.

But

This is from another thread on RM Web which is probably a better answer: (it is at  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/20482-Heljan-lion/page-11  )  Posted by 31A on 21st April 2014 at 20.15

"All trains on the GN Suburban system originally carried the same headcodes in either direction; the headcodes indicated the line of route and starting / terminating points rather than direction or the individual WTT train identity.  However a short while before they finished they changed to being 1B66 in one direction, and 1P66 in the other direction.  I can't remember which direction was which, but I'm sure Stewart will know the details!  :)

A bit more on topic, I have certainly seen pictures of Falcon on 1B66, but don't remember seeing anything about Lion on that job; however as it worked from 34G quite possibly it could have been."

Hope this is some use.

David

1B66 certainly was the proper era headcode for Cambridge; unfortunately my era faded with the introduction of blue so I don't remember 1P66. However it is on the right side of the station, and a 47, so could be right!

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Hi, DaveF, what tremendous views of Selby. I know the station and area well, living not too far away from it(have cycled there many times). The class 40 D243 in  April '66 is particularly interesting. I've been working on a model of York's D285, and it is interesting to see detail differences - no bottom cutaways to the warning panels and an extra overhead warning flash on the nose end. In addition there are no shed plates carried at the number one end.

I agree with Western Sunset, it is good to see the concrete-edged garden area that the LNER was fond of in the pre-war era in the N.E. Area of the LNER. More photo's please.

All the best,

Market65.