Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Really great photo's of the WCML at Nuneaton and Standon Bridge. The right-hand point out of that old loading dock in the first photo', J2641, has a quite steep curvature to it, quite like a model!

All the best,

Market65.

The second batch for today are from the GNR Grantham to Nottingham line.

attachicon.gifda Bottesford West Junction Class 31 D5803 up mineral July 69 J1785.jpg

Bottesford West Junction Class 31 D5803 up mineral July 69 J1785

attachicon.gife Elton and Orston 156407 Skegness to Crewe going away 10th June 95 C20284.jpg

Elton and Orston 156407 Skegness to Crewe going away 10th June 95 C20284

The next photo was taken to the east of Radcliffe on Trent station.  On the extreme right is the start of the trial section of concrete slab track on the up line.  It had curves in it, the formation was originally four tracks wide to accommodate the LNWR lines and it even had a (non functioning) trailing point.

attachicon.gifh east of Radcliffe on Trent Class 114 Nottingham to Grantham C4454.jpg

east of Radcliffe on TrentClass 114 Nottingham to Grantham  April 79 C4454

attachicon.gifh Radcliffe on Trent 2x Class 25 Yarmouth to Derby June 79 C4585.jpg

Radcliffe on Trent 2x Class 25 Yarmouth to Derby June 79 C4585

The Cotgrave branch ran from west of Radcliffe on Trent station to Cotgrave colliery.

attachicon.gifk Cotgrave Branch Class 31 up coal Nov 68 J1501.jpg

Cotgrave Branch Class 31 up coal Nov 68 J1501

I think Dad took this photo near the junction of the roads from Cropwell Bishop and Cotgrave to Radcliffe on Trent.  He was living in Cotgrave at the time.

David

8E81 is an interesting one, because most coal traffic ran as class 7 over that route at the time.

Even some of the iron ore traffic was running as class 7 by then. There were quite a few trains from Bestwood Park in those days, and I wonder if it is a summer coal extra to either Grantham or New England rather than the timetabled Whitemoor traffic. People would stock up in the summer when coal prices were lower.

There were two booked trains from Cotgrave in the winter of 1968. They were the 1410 and 1810, both went to March, but at that time of year the second one would be in the dark, so the best bet is the 1410 Cotgrave to Whitemoor.

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see the Harrogate line pictures, having become familiar with it myself through my work in recent years.  Cattal station hasn't changed very much!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Love the Harrogate area photo's. J341 of the viaduct at Knaresborough is delightful, especially the reflections of the viaduct in the water.  I've had many cycle tours in the Cattal area, and the photo' of the station there brings back many happy memories. Also it is good to see the two photo's of the line to Ripon. It is a shame it was closed down.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Teriffic photo's posted here this evening. I also like the BR blue ones, and love the one of the class 114 DMU in photo' C3459. Interesting to see Cleethorpes at two different times as well.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Love the WCML photo's in Cumbria. In particular, the photo' J1263 of Low Gill viaduct in April, 1968, is a very photogenic view, and would be a good basis for a model.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful stuff Dave

Never mid the slightly damaged slides - just look at the wonderful content.

Just one comment re J453 - is that a 101 centre car in that 105?

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's. The one of Normanton on Soar, in April, 1966 - J453 - has indeed got a metro-cammell TSL, and I think that it is one of the later examples with the smaller battery boxes.  I like J1701, at Loughborough Midland, in May, 1969, with class 45, D78. Very atmospheric in the rain, and interesting that your Mum used to work in the Brush works.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Really do like the Bowes Railway photo's in addition to those of the Highland line, and more particularly the last few photo's of Thurso. Good to see the station interior - love the beams that help to support the roof.

All the best,

Market65.