Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I really have enjoyed the photo's which you posted today of Pirbright Junction. I especially like J2604 of class 33 6583, on an up parcels train. What a great collection of parcels vans, both bogie and four wheeled.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Lovely shots again, I also notice that the closest two running lines in the last photo are flat bottom held to the sleepers with what looks like chair screws. I never knew that sort of continental fixing was used here.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Love the photo's of Pilmoor. In J1128, with 47, D1982, the train of vans is very interesting. The first van is a 12 ton box van followed by an ex-SR Van Y, then either an ex-SR PMV or CCT, and then a BR Mark1 BG and a BR Mark1 bogie GUV, followed by an ex-LNER extra long CCT, and an ex-LMS BG. Splendid!

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Lovely shots again, I also notice that the closest two running lines in the last photo are flat bottom held to the sleepers with what looks like chair screws. I never knew that sort of continental fixing was used here.

Andy G

Hi Andy

They look like KT clip fixings or saddle clip.  see http://mmrs.co.uk/modern-permanent-way/

• RMweb Premium

Clive thanks for that link, it'll keep me busy for hours...  Now where can I get hold of some elastic spikes??

Andy G

Hi Andy

http://colincraig4mm.co.uk/#/plain-track/4532599926 may be a good starting point.

C&L do the ST base plates http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=346_347_348

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the photo I would say that the swing section has been fixed shut, note the fishplate and the fact that the conductor rail is continuous across the steel spans.... When was this done?

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great collection of photo's of the preserved Great Central at Loughborough and Quorn, I do, in particular, like those of the N2. Then a very good series of photo's of the Southern Region's trains at work. I particularly like the first one of a class 411 and the way it is weathered.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

In photo C1486, what is the narrow gauge line to the right ?.

Cheers, Bob.

I think it was a small passenger carrying line 5" gauge?  I never saw anything working on it.

David

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave - Looks a bit bigger than 5" - 10.25" or even 12" maybe ?.

Cheers, Bob.

It might be, but in some other photos I have (not yet sorted out to put on here)  it looks quite narrow, I think not more than 10.5".

It had gone before December 1975 as it is not on photos Dad took then, I can't fin any reference to it in either his or my notes on the photos we took - most annoying!!

Edit  I've not been able to find anything on the web about it, there are a very small number of photos on flickr apparently  taken in 1974/5 which show the track but like mine there is nothing on it.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Was the brick pillar in C1899 one part of the bridge supports that carried the East Kent Railway over the Dover- Ramsgate line?

I think so, or it may have been the line to Richborough Port from the East Kent.   I haven't been back to the area since 1980 and cannot now remember exactly where I took the photo.

David