Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

The Cl.73 looks like its on the Down Fast (plat 9) at Clapham Jn, The period around 1987 saw some strange combinations as REPs were withdrawn to use their motors in the new Cl.442s. 

The Waterloo - Bournemouth/Weymouth trains formations at the time are dealt with in (fascinating) detail here... http://www.bloodandcustard.com/bournemouth1966.html

David, thanks for sharing all the photos, great stuff, look forward to looking at them each time I visit RMweb.

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Oh Edlingham - used to camp there. Great memory, I love going along that road and spotting the remains of the formation.

The Morpeth shot shows the Star of David in the canopy supports - I have seen this elsewhere on NER stations and wondered if it was something to do with the original funding of the NER being from Jewish sources.  Always wondered about it!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Love the winter time photo's, they really are very atmospheric and make me feel cold! The one of Edlingham is lovely, and as you say it is all too clear that the line would be underused.

With best regards,

Rob.

Oh Edlingham - used to camp there. Great memory, I love going along that road and spotting the remains of the formation.

The Morpeth shot shows the Star of David in the canopy supports - I have seen this elsewhere on NER stations and wondered if it was something to do with the original funding of the NER being from Jewish sources.  Always wondered about it!

Edlingham is a lovely spot for a picnic too, in the grounds of the castle by the viaduct.

That pattern of casting in the canopy supports is a surprise - I'd always thought that the local version at West Hartlepool (see attached picture) was usual (certainly I've an illustration in a book showing Middlesbrough had the same) and that the ornate ironwork was a florid representation of the initial "NER".

post-24552-0-36804300-1451838774_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some lovely photos of the Great Central Railway. I like the N2, it just needed some Gresley articulated stock to haul! The NSB 377 King Haakon Viii makes a fascinating contrast between it's self and the BR Mk1 stock it was hauling at the time those photos were taken.

The Grantham to Nottingham photo's are very nostalgic in other ways. The old BR blue days, when everything seemed to be painted in blue! In the third photo down is one of the former Hull Botanic Gardens class 105 DMU's. You can tell by the four lamp cab end.

With best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
  • Like 1

I don't think the 'star of david' had the same religious significance in the 19th century as it has had since the establishment of the state of Israel. I suspect it was simply a decorative, easily cast, and fairly robust motif. (Even nowadays, you find commercial companies using symbols or names because they look or sound pretty, and only discovering afterwards that they have a more profound meeting for particular communities). I'm not aware that the NER was particularly dependent on Jewish bankers (or, given the dividends, bankers of any source). The Stockton & Darlington, of course, was largely funded by Quakers such as the Pease family, who were also bankers, but as far as I am aware the Quakers are not particularly big on decorative religious symbolism - they prefer to contemplate their relationship to the sacred and the secular, rather than plastering it over the walls. I'm not a Quaker, or indeed particularly religious at all, but I have always found them rather admirable largely because they are more concerned with their own relationship to 'god' than they are about ramming their beliefs down the throats of the rest of us Heathens. 

The Grantham to Nottingham photo's are very nostalgic in other ways. The old BR blue days, when everything seemed to be painted in blue! In the third photo down is one of the former Hull Botanic Gardens class 105 DMU's. You can tell by the four lamp cab end.

With best regards,

Rob.

Yes, those 4 lamp 105s were occasional visitors to the Lincs area, even in the 1960s, but they were a great sight for us spotters as they filled gaps in our ABCs without us having to travel (which we couldn't afford to do anyway).

I think Lincoln depot used to purloin any visitors, and use them on as many local routes as they could get away with in summer months when 6 or even 8 car formations could be seen on local specials to the coast.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the photo's of the Highland line. They are so full of Scottish atmosphere. I particularly like the one of Invershin and a class 24 running over the bridge.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

re The Star of David - sorry for the :offtopic:  David - I recently found a series of photos on Flickr of Heaton station before it was ripped apart, and all the canopy support columns were the same as the one above.  That is what put it in my mind!

As for Quakers - whilst not one, my God-daughter attends a Quaker school, and I have to say they have done a simply superb job of educating her.  At some cost though!  Also a highly respected member of RMWeb makes no secret of being a Quaker, and I agree with Lanchester's comments totally!

Now, back to the photos.....some have trains in them, some not...but they are all fantastically interesting!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave. Well there are wonderfully nostalgic photo's of High Dyke and the branch line posted here today. I like them all. In particular the one of the quarry shows how it was and is a good view if anyone is wanting to make a model of it.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

The type 2s in J2017 are D5675 and D5673, two of the six fitted with tablet catchers for working the High Dyke branch.

Stovepipe, thanks very much.  

Once again I haven't read Dad's notes properly - I must wear my reading glasses when captioning.

David

• RMweb Premium

Warning. Loading an LNER shunt signal into the rear of a Reliant Regal impairs steering. Further warning.. Loading bullhead chairs into passenger footwell to restore said steering impairs relationship with partner...

Hi Richard

I use to balance my Super Van III with a big sack of spuds on the passenger side. Every trip in it was an adventure. I am sure the script writers for only fools and horses had been watching me and the Purple Pig (yes it had been hand painted purple). It had all sorts of wonderful things with it. Like, if you slammed the back door the passenger door would open, even when locked. Driving it one day I thought, these brakes don't seem to be stopping it very well, not a good thing when it was over due its MOT. So I had a look under it to see if there was a brake fluid leak to discover huge great rusted holes in the chassis members. That was the end of that as I couldn't afford to have repairs done to the chassis and it had only cost me £10 in the first place.  It was back to riding a Honda 90................I had all the bird pulling motors.

• Like 4

Hi Richard

I use to balance my Super Van III with a big sack of spuds on the passenger side. Every trip in it was an adventure. I am sure the script writers for only fools and horses had been watching me and the Purple Pig (yes it had been hand painted purple). It had all sorts of wonderful things with it. Like, if you slammed the back door the passenger door would open, even when locked. Driving it one day I thought, these brakes don't seem to be stopping it very well, not a good thing when it was over due its MOT. So I had a look under it to see if there was a brake fluid leak to discover huge great rusted holes in the chassis members. That was the end of that as I couldn't afford to have repairs done to the chassis and it had only cost me £10 in the first place.  It was back to riding a Honda 90................I had all the bird pulling motors.

I was given the one i had, taxed and MOT'ed at the start of a winter.Said partner nabbed it to go to work most of the time. I was driving it one day and went through a flood. It conked out of course. Once i'd got it into a less wet place i whipped off the panel in the drivers footwell and gave the distributor a wipe down along with the HT leads. A turn of the key and off it went. For some reason that escapes me i drove back through the flood, leaving the side panel off so i could wipe it all down again on the other side easily as it was bound to conk out again but no. It ran beautifully through the water this time but with the side panel off the floodwater met the fan and i got soaked, inside the car. The disappointment of turning the wipers on and seeing the windscreen not clear as the water was on the inside stays with me still as one of life's little lessons.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As you will have noticed I haven't posted any photos today, which was not my plan.

This afternoon Mum, who is 91 and lives by herself, had a fall.  She is fiercly independent and doesn't have any carers, just a lady who cleans for her once a week and I go round in everyday for a few hours to keep her company and do things for her.   

An ambulance was organised as she couldn't move which took her to the new Cramlington Emergency Hospital, (only 10 minutes or so away) where she was X rayed and admitted.  She has broken her pelvis. 

As  a result for the immediate future I will be at the hospital a lot, in due course she should be moved to another local hospital, possibly the little one in the town where I live or the nearby General Hospital.

This means that I will more busy than usual for a while, so I may not be able to post photos everyday, but I will when I can to take my mind off things.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium

David,

Please take as long as you need, we will miss the photos, but we are not as important as anyones Mum.

I wish her a speedy recovery.

Andy G

• Like 2