Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Post 5367, photo J5340.   You can see the parched grass and almost feel the heat of that unforgettable summer.   The children pictured may well be grandparents by now... 

Same post, J6539.   Why has the destinations of the "Trains to..." beside the footbridge been blanked out?

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Post 5367, photo J5340.   You can see the parched grass and almost feel the heat of that unforgettable summer.   The children pictured may well be grandparents by now... 

Same post, J6539.   Why has the destinations of the "Trains to..." beside the footbridge been blanked out?

Bill

This post (5367) contains the answers to the quiz photos I posted on 26th December.  I said at the start of the quiz on Dec 25th that I would remove any words which would provide clues to the locations.

The sign said "Trains to Portsmouth", which would have given a very helpful clue to those trying to work out the location who did not happen to recognise it straight away.

David

• RMweb Gold

Here are the answers to the quiz photos from 27th Dec.

post-5613-0-00364500-1451381473_thumb.jpg

IMG_4182 Clifton   south end of the loops. July 2004

Also known as Eden Valley loops, south of Penrith.

post-5613-0-84582700-1451381477_thumb.jpg

IMG_4360 St Bees July 2004

post-5613-0-72266400-1451381483_thumb.jpg

IMG_4647 Beamish Museum Pockerley   Sept 2004 -or else its a very early colour photo on the S&D.

This is the part of the museum set in the 1820s.

post-5613-0-71622900-1451381489_thumb.jpg

J3822 Annan CR  July 74

post-5613-0-68589300-1451381495_thumb.jpg

J5227 Keadby  May 76

JeffP , in identifying this shot, mentions the tidal bore or Aegir on the Trent and the currents and dangers of the river.

Back in the 1960's I passed under this bridge every few weeks when we were going for a sail in the Humber, often ending up at South Ferriby or Grimsby Docks overnight.  As soon as you left West Stockwith, further up the Trent, you were always alert as the River Trent can have very strong currents and shifting sand and mud banks.  Unless you know what you are doing you don't want to be there when the Aegir comes along - it's like hitting a wall of water several feet high travelling fast.  The Humber can be "interesting" too in a sailing boat.

As I type this I happen to be looking at an old photo of the Aegir at West Stockwith which hangs on the wall by my PC.

post-5613-0-48802600-1451381503_thumb.jpg

J6948 Radcliffe on Trent  May 80

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 10

As an aside, more on the Trent and the Aegir: I've been to see it a few times upriver at Gainsborough, when it was forecast to be a four-star (higher) one. It varied between about a foot-high wave (not breaking) and a barely-perceptible rise in the river level and consequent "stop" of the downstream flow. It's odd to watch a tree branch floating downstream, the Aegir coming up to meet it, and then the branch sitting dead still in the water for a while afterwards.

The canal boaters' Complete Guide to the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation has two whole pages dedicated to navigating the Trent. They spell it Aegre, but I've seen all sorts of variations. "if you cannot avoid it, meet it head-on in the middle of the river" is their advice!

As someone who once got a canal boat grounded in a staircase lock, I'll leave the Trent to those who know their rowlocks from their gunwales.

Only ever seen a real big one, it was over two feet at Keadby Bridge, heaven knows what it would have been up-stream.

The boats in the river had moved and were anchored at 45 degrees across the flow.

The canal boaters' Complete Guide to the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation has two whole pages dedicated to navigating the Trent. They spell it Aegre, but I've seen all sorts of variations.

Around Gainsborough it was always known as the 'Eagre' - hence Eagre Coaches that kindly took me to school in the town (although we were anything but 'eager' at the time...) ;)

Strangely in nearly 50 years, though, I've never yet seen the bloomin' thing!

• RMweb Premium

Lovely shots yet again David.

I love the last two, a lovely shot of the rear of the semaphore (although I think the intention was to picture something else!), which shows that some things that should be black have been painted white, and that distant in the last shot with its black and white post....

Thanks again

Andy G

Hi Dave,

Wonderful shots of the S&C once again, I think the Brush 4 is on a 'relief' to the TCE as the headcode would have been 1S68 and relief services usually departed ahead of the scheduled service. This is great info for me as I hadn't thought of that option till now. Keep up the good work Dave.

Hi again Dave,

I was just browsing randomly and came across 'C574' Cranes outside Derby Works. This was the 'Load Test' area where various loads would be lifted and the wire ropes adjusted and especially the 'overload' cut-out Wylie Box would be set to prevent the lifting of a too heavy load for the distance, however this was done with simple automotive style 'points' (remember them?). I worked on this department when I transferred from Glasgow Works to Derby Loco' however that was in 1972 a year after your photo.

Really nostalgic journey through your thread, I really enjoy the trip.

I think the Brush 4 is on a 'relief' to the TCE as the headcode would have been 1S68 and relief services usually departed ahead of the scheduled service. This is great info for me as I hadn't thought of that option till now.

Yes, 1S67 is the summer Saturdays 09:20 St Pancras to Glasgow Central, an extension of the usual weekday 09:20 St Pancras to Leicester semi-fast.

I love the D212 photo, as it shows the typical make up of a fitted van train in the 1960s.

For a while I could not understand why there was a ballast wagon on the rear, but I eventually realised there was a pw train in the loop.

I love the D212 photo, as it shows the typical make up of a fitted van train in the 1960s.

For a while I could not understand why there was a ballast wagon on the rear, but I eventually realised there was a pw train in the loop.

It also displays the variety of 'Shades of Grey' that these vehicles carried; if there are two the same colour, then they're not next to one another.

Now for today's photos, with another visit to the ECML, this time heading north from Peterborough.

attachicon.gifPeterborough East MR line with Class 105 ecs on ECML Nov 70 J2451.jpg

Peterborough East MR line with Class 105 ecs on ECML Nov 70 J2451

David

Peterborough East box diagram here..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pwayowen/10615167245/

The line was singled and worked under staff and ticket by this stage to Wansford. The remaining lines from there went to Oundle and Naylor Benzon's. The engineers siding at one time went nearly all the way to Wansford and was used for training tamper crews etc.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I really love the photo's of the Settle and Carlisle line. That second photo' of Dent is a real classic! I look forward to seeing more covering this wonderful railway in the future.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Only ever seen a real big one, it was over two feet at Keadby Bridge, heaven knows what it would have been up-stream.

The boats in the river had moved and were anchored at 45 degrees across the flow.

I've only seen a Trent Aegre once, I've seen two or three on the Ouse at Selby (just down from the railway bridge).  Once at Selby there was a coaster moored up, and that jumped quite a bit when the Aegre arrived.  On a quiet evening, you can hear it coming several minutes before it arrives.

My Trent pilot guide (which is 40 years old) says that it isn't as strong as it used to be (due to improvements to the river), but it is inadvisable to meet it broadside on, standing up in  a rowing boat !.

Adrian

Peterborough East box diagram here..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pwayowen/10615167245/

The line was singled and worked under staff and ticket by this stage to Wansford. The remaining lines from there went to Oundle and Naylor Benzon's. The engineers siding at one time went nearly all the way to Wansford and was used for training tamper crews etc.

Interesting that the fixed distant has gained a smaller than normal arm when compared with a photo when the Wansford line was still a through route. Also with the change of route priorities, the home signal for the Wansford line has moved down the post to occupy the position of the removed distant underneath.

• RMweb Gold

Time now for the final set of answer to the photo quiz, from the 28th.

I don't think I saw any answers for the first question, which was Corbridge on the Newcastle to Carlisle line.

post-5613-0-38528200-1451467165_thumb.jpg

IMG_4947 Corbridge Dec 2004

post-5613-0-45181200-1451467171_thumb.jpg

IMG_5596 Bottesford June 2005

post-5613-0-67626400-1451467177_thumb.jpg

IMG_5765 Ancaster June 2005

post-5613-0-81027100-1451467184_thumb.jpg

IMG_6440 Normanton on Soar Oct 2005

post-5613-0-27691000-1451467191_thumb.jpg

J3839 Newton on Ayr July 74

post-5613-0-13805400-1451467196_thumb.jpg

J5770 Silloth  Aug 77

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 12

Interesting that the fixed distant has gained a smaller than normal arm when compared with a photo when the Wansford line was still a through route. Also with the change of route priorities, the home signal for the Wansford line has moved down the post to occupy the position of the removed distant underneath.

Here's an extract of an earlier PE diagram i have awaiting restoration..

post-4034-0-35600500-1451470325_thumb.jpg 

When the line was severed as a through route the ups and downs were reversed. Wansford box gained new lever plates and box diagram to reflect this. Last year i put in some motor points for the NVR I based my circuits diagrams on what i could see on lever plates and what i had on the line in my own paperwork collection ie the up being towards March. This was duly noted but the NVR could find no formal date when they reverted to up being towards Rugby. I pointed out the lever plates are worded wrong in Wansford box for this revert.

Edited by LNERGE

Time now for the final set of answer to the photo quiz, from the 28th.

I don't think I saw any answers for the first question, which was Corbridge on the Newcastle to Carlisle line.

IMG_4947 Corbridge.JPG

IMG_4947 Corbridge Dec 2004

IMG_5596 Bottesford.JPG

IMG_5596 Bottesford June 2005

IMG_5765 Ancaster.JPG

IMG_5765 Ancaster June 2005

IMG_6440 Sutton Bonington.JPG

IMG_6440 Sutton Bonington Oct 2005

J3839 Newton on Ayr.jpg

J3839 Newton on Ayr July 74

J5770 Silloth.jpg

J5770 Silloth Aug 77

David

IMG_6440 is not Sutton Bonnington. Its taken looking north at Butt Lane, Normanton on Soar. The line at Sutton Bonnington is in a deepish enclosed cutting and curves to the right. The 20s are on the up slow line heading towards Loughborough just to the south of site of Hathern station.

Hope this helps.

• RMweb Gold

IMG_6440 is not Sutton Bonnington. Its taken looking north at Butt Lane, Normanton on Soar. The line at Sutton Bonnington is in a deepish enclosed cutting and curves to the right. The 20s are on the up slow line heading towards Loughborough just to the south of site of Hathern station.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the correction, upon investigation I have taken the place name from a later image - and I ought to know the place as I went there often enough as a child when we lived in East Leake and cycled all over the place to see train.

David

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday morning I spent just over an hour taking photos near Ulgham Lane Crossing on the ECML north of Morpeth, up here in Northumberland.  For once it was sunny.

The first few photos are below.  They were taken with a Dikon D7200 using a Nikon 18-200 mm lens.

post-5613-0-57909200-1451490373_thumb.jpg

ASC_1801 Ulgham Lane Crossing 91108 1E09 Edinburgh to Kings X 29th Dec 15

post-5613-0-82060900-1451490380_thumb.jpg

ASC_1802 Ulgham Lane Crossing Class 220 1S33 Birmingham to Edinburgh 29th Dec 15

post-5613-0-59470900-1451490388_thumb.jpg

ASC_1807 5 Ulgham Lane Crossing 82204 1S07 Kings X to Edinburgh 29th Dec 15

post-5613-0-75736900-1451490394_thumb.jpg

ASC_1808 Ulgham Lane Crossing 91114 Durham Cathedral 1S07 Kings X to Edinburgh 29th Dec 15

post-5613-0-99769500-1451490398_thumb.jpg

ASC_1814 Ulgham Lane Crossing 1E10 Edinburgh to Kings X 29th Dec 15

David

• Like 14